Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   What to do/see in New Mexico? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/what-to-do-see-in-new-mexico-621923/)

renegade87 Jun 8th, 2006 08:44 AM

What to do/see in New Mexico?

We are coming in July and want to take in as many of the sites and highlights as possible. We have 7 full days in the state. We enjoy the outdoors and natural areas but also want to be sure to take in the culture as well. We are not so interested in shopping or art. Any help would be wonderful! We leave June 30th! Thanks! :)

DebitNM Jun 8th, 2006 08:48 AM

For a fast answer...use the search feature at the top of the page and type in New Mexico or use the drop down menu also at the top and click on New Mexico. Much has been on the boards lately so you should find things to read to get an idea of what's here. Also...use the DESTINATION link on the top of the page and look at Albuquerque and Santa Fe for starters.

There's lots to do...where are you going to be? Do you have hotel plans already? Will you have a car?

Debi

seniormsuedu Jun 8th, 2006 08:58 AM

I'm reading a soft-cover travel book called "New Mexico" by Nancy Harbert and published by Fodor's. It says it all.

As Debit says, the great Fodor's search feature will help you a lot.

ElendilPickle Jun 8th, 2006 11:20 AM

There's currently a nice "Just Back from Albuquerque" feature on the Fodor's welcome page.

I would probably do a loop of northern New Mexico; Las Cruces, Carlsbad, White Sands, etc. will be pretty hot in July.

Seniormsuedu, are you coming back this year?

Lee Ann

DebitNM Jun 8th, 2006 03:01 PM

LeeAnn,
Thanks for pointing out "Just back from Albuquerque" feature. It is nicely done and I hardly ever go to the home page of Fodors.
Debi

seniormsuedu Jun 9th, 2006 08:15 AM

Endipickle, I sure am coming back this year. I now have two pups and decided I did not want to tour around CO and UT and NM with both of them, so am renting a little Casa in Santa Fe for the month of Sept. that takes pets, bless their hearts.

It's near the Plaza and even if you tear out my fingernails, I will not divulge the address. I might want to go back next year. I can't wait.

renegade, I hope you enjoy your trip to wonderful NM. My two favorites besides S.F. are Acoma Pueblo and Canyon de Chelly (just inside AZ). It's fun to read up on everything ahead of time.

renegade87 Jun 9th, 2006 09:03 AM

Thank you for the responses. I have checked out many, many websites including fodor's and frommer's and have read several books. I guess what i am looking for are people's opinions on what are the really important places to visit while we are there. We flying June 30th late eve. and are staying at B&B's in Edgewood June 30, Carlsbad July 1, ABQ July 2(on way to Grants), Farmington July 3&4 (flyfishing on 4th), ABQ July 5,6,7 flying out morning of the 8th. I am debating if the trip to Carlsbad is worth all the driving as well as if El Morro & El Malpais are worth a detour on our way to Farmington. Other sites that we are considering are Chaco, Aztec Ruins, Bandlier, Jemez Springs area, the Enchanted Circle drive, Rio Gorge hiking, and more. I tend to plan too much and i want to be sure that we aren't too busy that my hubby will want to kick me. :) I appreciate any and all help. Thank you!

sfamylou Jun 9th, 2006 09:52 AM

I did a pretty long trip report in early April. We really loved White Sands, Ruidoso, Santa Fe, Roswell, Los Alamos and the Bandolier Monument. I also loved eating blue corn tortillas and drinking margaritas!

seniormsuedu Jun 9th, 2006 10:06 AM

This is what I would do:

1. Albuquerque
2. Rte. 44 to Farmington, side trips to Jemez Springs and maybe Chaco Canyon (slow unpaved road), Aztec.
3. Farmington to Canyon de Chelly
4. C.d.C. to Gallup
5. 602 south to Zuni Pueblo, 53 to El Morro, Malpais, Acoma Pueblo
6. Albuquerque

Or cut out C. de C., drive directly from Shiprock to Gallup and etc. on way to Alb. and spend a little time in Santa Fe, one hour away.

If you include Carlsbad (a long HOT drive) or Taos area, I'm afraid you will be kicked. I don't know where Edgwood is.

My own humble opinion.

ElendilPickle Jun 9th, 2006 11:30 AM

Seniormsuedu, your fingernails are safe with me - I live close enough to Santa Fe that we don't stay there. :-) BTW, Edgewood is about 20 minutes east of Albuquerque on I-40.

Renegade, Seniormsuedu has given you a very good itinerary. I agree that Carlsbad is too far for the amount of time you have; you're giving yourself very little time there for the amount of driving you have to do.

El Morro and El Malpais are too far out of your route to Farmington. Take Hwy. 44 (it actually has some other number now) to Farmington. It's only about 3 1/2 hours, and you'll have time to make a side trip to Jemez Springs from there.

Lee Ann

DebitNM Jun 9th, 2006 12:56 PM

From ABQ, the way to Farmington is to take 550 west [there is an exit from I-25 for it] and keep going all the way to Farmington. Be sure to stop at Coranado State Monument

http://www.nmstatemonuments.org/about.php?_instid=CORO

and Jackaloupe [for some unique shopping]. They are both on the right side of road as you head towards Farmington, about 3 miles west of I-25. You can detour to Jemez Springs on the way.

I agree...Carlsbad is too hot and far out of way to include in this trip. You can always do that in the next one...and I am sure there will be a next one...i'ts great here!

renegade87 Jun 9th, 2006 02:38 PM

Thank you everyone for all the help! I was really hoping to make the caverns, but I do see your point. Hopefully I will be able to talk the hubby into a return visit. We have about 40+ states to make yet! I really look forward to our visit! :)

sharondi Jun 10th, 2006 06:26 AM

If you can find some time for Chaco Canyon, do it. One of the most amazing places I've ever been. One of the highlights of our trip was the Jemez Springs area. We stayed at a terrific B&B there that we loved - Canon del Rio. We also hiked up to a hot spring where we had a great soak in the middle of a beautiful alpine forest. The only part of our trip we didn't like much was Taos - kind of tacky. We loved the Taos Pueblo but otherwise could've skipped the town.