Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   What to do on a rainy day in Hawaii? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/what-to-do-on-a-rainy-day-in-hawaii-390448/)

jillandben Jan 22nd, 2004 10:55 AM

What to do on a rainy day in Hawaii?

Just planning out the details for our trip to Kauai and Maui next month and wondering what anyone does when it's raining outside.

Shanghainese Jan 22nd, 2004 11:05 AM

Watch the rain, just kidding. It does not rain long unless it's a storm, and it dries fast. If you drive 15 minutes in the opposite direction of the moving rain clouds, it may be sunny. We went shopping for gifts and went to Safeway to stock up our kitchenette, or plain walking and singing in the rain is lovely. Don't be bothered by it. Enjoy your trip!

JohnD Jan 22nd, 2004 11:14 AM

We have yet to be ((R))rained((R)) out on Maui, Kauai, Oahu, Lanai, or the Big Island, visiting in Feb., March, &October and could usually escape any local rain shower by driving to another part of the island; from what I gather here alot of others have had different experiences recently in December.

On Maui suggest checking out Maui Ocean Center and numerous shopping venues or dine at Mama's Fish house etc. I think there is also a musuem on the way to the IAO needle, see Maui Revealed.

On Kauai you could explore some small dry caves along the north shore or check out the Fern Grotto or visit the Guava stand on the way to Princeville (you will see two on a trailer) and sample some juices and spreads. Can also tour ~o)Kauai coffee~o) company.

Can't think of a more ((L))romantic:x location to be rained in than Hawaii, and you can always drown your sorrows with some interesting local drinks like ((d))lava flows and ((D))mai tais etc.

travelisfun Jan 22nd, 2004 11:22 AM

We stayed at the Kea Lani and they had DVDs to rent in their little shop, so we rented a video and relaxed in the room. Also, you could visit the spa for a massage or pedicure. Or if it's not raining too hard, sit outside under a cabana and read or just relax.

mrt Jan 22nd, 2004 11:27 AM

When we went to Kauai it rained almost everyday. We took sightseeing trips all around the island even when it rained. It wsn't a downpour so we were able to do everything except swim. Ignore the rain and enjoy

ncl Jan 22nd, 2004 12:54 PM

My BF & I were there last week during the 60 mph winds and rain that lasted most of the morning. We ended up taking advantage of the stormy seas and went to Po'ipu to see Spouting Horn at its best. The rain then calmed a little and we went for a hike along the beautiful coast - along a trail that was very wide and very safe (no mud or sliding). It was raining but the raging oceans were beautiful. I'd say plan to do things like these, that way you're not losing a day in Hawaii. Of course, lounging around the hotel drinking lava flows could also be a good option (as others mentioned).

Ashley24 Jan 22nd, 2004 04:13 PM

After several days of nonstop rain, we swam in the Hyatt pool anyways and had a blast!

islandmom Jan 23rd, 2004 12:03 AM

Hate to say there is a huge storm again at this moment. My family was here and on Maui two weeks ago and it rained constant all but one day. You could still try to swim if the wind dies down. There are museums, aquariums, shopping and lots of food.

islandmom Jan 23rd, 2004 12:05 AM

Just wanted to add you should keep track of the road reports. Quickly they flood or have boulder slides.

stellaluna Jan 23rd, 2004 05:49 AM

since we had a week with of plenty of rain on Maui recently.....as long as it's not really stormy swim in the ocean...break out the slicker and take a walk, go for a horseback ride, sit on your covered lanai and think about what a beautiful place you've the great good luck to be visiting...get in the car and drive all over the place....stop for a shave ice with ice cream on the bottom.....a little shopping is certainly in order.....

highnote Jan 23rd, 2004 06:48 AM

Doesn't really answer your question, but... keep an eye out for rainbows during and after rain. Hawaii has the most gorgeous rainbows I've ever seen and they're very frequent.

Alohamom Jan 24th, 2004 05:33 AM

The Maui Ocean Center is mostly indoors, so for a rainy day it is a great option. You won't feel like you have given up a beach day to do this attraction!

shelbyl1 Jan 24th, 2004 07:58 AM

Okay- all this talk about rain is scaring me! We are leaving in three weeks for Maui- does it really rain that much?! I thought that if it was raining in one part of Maui that you could drive a few minutes and find the sunshine?

PakePorkChop Jan 24th, 2004 08:21 AM

On Oahu, check out the Bishop Museum, Academy of Arts, State Arts Museum, or the Contemporary Arts Gallery.

There's also the Ala Moana Shopping Center.

Deloris Jan 24th, 2004 03:10 PM

Some places in Hawaii all it does is rain! Hilo,Kauai,Kapalua,Hana,guaranteed! Honolulu has been getting pelted this week.
If you want dryer weather, Kohala coast on the big island, Wailea at south Maui
and unless there is a big storm...go swimming! You get wet anyway!
You can also go shopping if you want to stay dry, but that can get very expensive!

islandmom Jan 26th, 2004 01:23 AM

It's been an unusual year. More rain than most years. We even had a tornado on Oahu today.

islandmom Jan 26th, 2004 01:24 AM

Dole Plantation is another stop. Or explore all the beautiful hotels and have a drink on the lanai.