Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   what to do near Wall St. (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/what-to-do-near-wall-st-193494/)

Cece Oct 1st, 2001 01:26 PM

what to do near Wall St.

I will be accompanying my husband to NYC this week and am looking for something to occupy my time for 5 hours while he's working. I don't wish to see the remains of WTC too close, but wondered where else I might go.

Ginny Oct 1st, 2001 01:58 PM

You can't get close to the WTC remains tourist have made a nuisance of themselves and more streets are blocked off than earlier. Also if you are down there with other tourist it is very off putting. You see people acting like they are at a circus instead of realizing they are in a grave yard. I went down to see what happened to my city, I was sorry I did. <BR> <BR> Why not hop a cab and go uptown to the Met museum, Guggenheim, Museum of modern Art. Not into art what about SAKS, BLOOMy'S for shopping? I personally like the stip of stores in the seventies on Madison Avenue makes you feel like you are abroad. Oh yes why not catch a show (Matinee)? I could go on and on. There has never been much down town save for the stock exchange and china town little Italy for College kids. <BR>

Lois Oct 1st, 2001 03:48 PM

Cece, I would walk over to South Street Seaport. It is just a 10 min. walk, and you can certainly spend a couple hours there.

Holly677 Oct 1st, 2001 04:31 PM

Cece - <BR> <BR>The title of your post and your message suggest that your husband will be on Wall St and that you don't want to stray too far from that area? Why on earth not? Even putting the Sept 11 attacks aside, it seems silly to confine yourself to such a small area of Manahattan when you have 5 hours. Manhattan is not a big island - you could go to any neighborhood (or more than one) and do something during that time period. Perhaps there's a reason you're limiting yourself that I'm not seeing.

nomail Oct 1st, 2001 06:43 PM

please please please stay away from Ground Zero. the recovery workers need their space and the security people have more to do than shoo tourists. not the least, it IS currently the final resting place of app 6,000 people. <BR> <BR>that said, if the NYSE is still allowing tourists in, that is a great place to visit. ( i'd imagine that due to security they may have curtailed tours there) do that, then get a taxi to midtown or uptown and see the rest of the city. <BR> <BR>

ro Oct 3rd, 2001 07:36 AM

lois is right try south street seaport. there are cute shops there, you can get something to eat. later on get ahold of hubby and go to chinatown or mulberry street for some wonderful food. not alot of money and a great experience. we enjoy luna's restaurant on mulberry street, walk around, then back to la bella ferrara's (not ferrara's) right next door to luna's. have some expresso and cannoli. and please stay away from the wtc, there's really nothing there you want to see. enjoy your stay.

Sarah Oct 3rd, 2001 07:47 AM

GO UP TOWN IF YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN. The metropolitan museum is the most important art gallery in the western hemisphere why would you rumage through the ticky tack shops of the seaport. To walk outside of the guggenheim is interesting all by itself. Come on Cece this NYC are you afraid. Most reports of crime take place in Brooklyn,Bronx, Harlem Manhattan is safe.

WTC Oct 3rd, 2001 08:15 AM

I must say, everyone saying to stay away from the WTC site is sort of off-putting. 1st of all, to assume that everyone who goes there is voyeuristically gawking is a rather big assumption. I have been there, and many people are very respectful, and only want to see the remains of the tragedy so they can maybe comprehend it or just to "bear witness". The police have it blocked off yes, but they would if "tourists" were there or not. It is to ensure the safety of the people as well as to allow the rescue and recovery to go on uninterrupted. As long as you do not try to break the barricade, there is no problem as I see it. There is a vast number of memorials in Union Square for the victims - that is rather touching also. Listen, as New Yorkers and Americans, we must have respect for those who died, but going to see this is not in and of itself disrespectful or insensitive - it is how you act when you are there that determines that.

Arabella Oct 3rd, 2001 08:21 AM

Ginny and Sarah have the right idea. Explore the more interesting areas of NYC. Keep it simple. Grab a cab and head to one of the top hotels to treat yourself to a fabulous afternoon tea, then do a little window shopping and people watching.

al Oct 3rd, 2001 09:00 AM

The Seaport is a nice and all, but can someone kill 5 hours there? The city is your oyster - what have you always wanted to do or see? In 5 hours you can do just about anything you want. Hit a museum, the stores, the theatre or your favorite tourist attraction, take the 3-hour Circle Line cruise around Manhattan (from the pier near W. 42nd) or the 1-hour Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island cruise right from the South Street Seaport. Heck, you could even go to a Yankee game. The city is safe and you have nothing to fear.

Sarah Oct 3rd, 2001 10:00 AM

WTC- if you think it is presumptuous that people warn against touring the WTC, that most view with respect, you need to open your eyes and ears. Guiliani did not just block off more streets so that recovery vehicles would be less restricted by crowds, he banned amateur photography in the area. Anyone I know who works in the area or has visited including myself has witnessed a carnival type atmosphere around this site. Live here don't want it to grow. We understand this is history that is shaking the country right now but it is still our city and people are acting inappropriately. I have seen this first hand and read about it in the BBC, Guardian and financial times. One paper called it the hottest new tourist site for people visiting NY. In the first days people were caught trying to masquerade as emergency workers just to get closer. I saw people (two weeks from impact) pushing toddlers in strollers, collecting rubble, and a band of rollerbladers (40 or more) with flags in their hats who completely blocked recovery vehicles from entering. Guards spent a great amount of time restraining crowds. I left immediately. People would not get out of the street as they wanted the best view walked all over and inside trucks that had been demolished. We are not being presumptuous I think protective is a better word.

xxx Oct 3rd, 2001 10:06 AM

You also want to take note WTC that the blocked streets have grown from two weeks ago. They found they needed more space because of all the crowds. Any NYC paper would have pointed this out if you are in the area.

Sarah Oct 3rd, 2001 10:09 AM

Scratch Financial times it was only the guardian and the bbc news that I read about WTC

Elizabeth Oct 3rd, 2001 10:52 AM

Chinatown is interesting, and Canal Street is interesting. <BR> <BR> I suggest go to the Time Out New York website & do a search for Chinatown, they published an issue about it a few months ago. <BR> <BR> Visit the Pearl River Trading Company at Broadway and Canal Street, an amazing Chinese departments store on two or three floors. <BR> <BR> Find a Chinese restaurant for lunch. I like Wong Kee at 114 Mott St, at Hester St. Also Funky Broome. <BR> <BR> Also walk the streets that run in to the Lower East Side from Chinatown, there are lots of sweet little boutiques. If I have time I"ll get more specific information. <BR> <BR> Walk one block over from Mott St (main St of Chinatown) to Mulberry Street, and stroll through Little Italy. <BR>Have coffee someplace.

Sara Oct 3rd, 2001 12:38 PM

Cece, Check out SoHo, Chinatown, and Greenwich Village, all within walking distance, if you like walking. The weather has been glorious here. Have a nice trip...NYC is still the best city on earth.

WTC Oct 3rd, 2001 12:48 PM

1st of all, I am a native, 2nd of all, I do watch world news and read major newspapers, 3rd of all, I do understand that they had to enlarge the area surrounded by barriers because people were not acting appropriately, 4th I didn't say that EVERYONE is acting in the respectful way they should. I DO agree that people masquerading to get a piece of rubble, and the sickness that accompanies this voyeuristic "carnival-like" behavior IS an atrocity. But, I also know that not everyone who goes to a site that is the scene of a major tragedy or catastrophe does not do so out of disrespect or reprehensible tendencies. Some go to understand. Ever been to a concentration camp?

Thyra Oct 3rd, 2001 01:12 PM

Well, I am torn on seeing the WTC area with my own eyes. We are going to NYC next week and the one thing I DO NOT WANT TO DO is to be disrespectful!! It is heart rending that this place is, for the time being, forgive me, a giant mass grave for the loved ones of many people, including several that I know. On the otherhand, sometimes we can't really appreciate fully the depths of something until we view it, I may have one opinion now, and an entirely different one, when I actually see the devistation. I have a personal aversion to "arm-chair" warriors, who form opinions based on second hand knowledge. <BR>My husband and I have solemmly visited Belfast Dachau and The USS Arizona. <BR>Not to snap "I've been there" photos, which we did not! But to try to really try to understand and appreciate the enormity of the acts committed at these places and to these lives. Watching TV, reading, though they give an overview, is not the same as standing in a place.. with tears in your eyes, respecting those who's lives have been shattered and appreciating it more fully then you do if you read a number in a newspaper. <BR>I believe we will focus our trip on eating out, seeing plays, doing all of those types of things, but I would feel remiss if I did not personally show my respect for those who have passed. I don't know if this view is right or wrong, or if there is a right or wrong here, I sincerely hope that I don't offend anyone since that is not the intent. We would wish only to see, to FEEl and to pray with respect.

Susan Oct 3rd, 2001 01:19 PM

Thyra, very well said. I think the majority of visitors to New York for many, many years to come will need to go to a place where they can grieve and remember. Until some kind of memorial is erected where else is there to go? <BR> <BR> <BR>

jj Oct 3rd, 2001 01:33 PM

This is not a prepped and cleaned tourist attraction like Pearl Harbor or a concentration camp. Please. That was a lame comparison. Go and look if you must, and make any excuse you want to as to why you are there. But I will tell you this-the baracades are there for yet another reason, one that I can vouch for. It is not a pretty sight at ground zero. Actually, it is more like a meat locker gone on the blink. There are body parts of close to 6000 people EVERYWHERE, and the parts are not pretty and pink. The smell is beyond belief. I think most of us who actually did get right to the hot spot, wished we hadn't. It will make you gag. If you think I am being crude, get over it, and you'd better toughen up your hide before you take your peek. I am EMS and thought I'd seen it all. You want a memorial, buy a postcard to hang on the wall.

Thyra Oct 3rd, 2001 01:45 PM

jj, thank you so much for your honest opinion.. which clearly illustrates how little people who have not been there really know about what it is like. <BR>We will think long and hard about this.