Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   What to do in Washinigton DC w/2 kids on a Friday night? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/what-to-do-in-washinigton-dc-w-2-kids-on-a-friday-night-590341/)

BarryK Feb 12th, 2006 05:23 AM

What to do in Washinigton DC w/2 kids on a Friday night?

We're planning a short family trip to Wash DC next month. We'll be driving and arriving about 4-5 PM on a Friday. We've been to Wash DC several times before. There's always more to see at the Smithsonian (the American Indian museum is on Saturday's agenda) but it closes at 5:30.

Besides dinner, what would you do with 2 teenage girls on a Friday night (no shopping, please)?

We'll be staying in the Dupont circle area. Are there any Thai or Vietnamese restaurants you'd recommend? Thanks.

bardo1 Feb 12th, 2006 06:12 AM

Barry,

While there are many, many great Vietnemese restaurants in the DC suburbs, the ones in DC porper are just OK at best. There are plenty of good DC Thai places, however. A great choice would be <b>Rice</b>. It has sublime food and makes for a special evening. You two girls will think it's quite cool and all will love the cooking. The website is below. Make a reservation. It's an easy walk, depending on what part of Dupont you'll be in or a VERY short taxi ride at worst.
http://www.simplyhomedc.com/Welcome.html

As for other evening activites, there is so much and the questions is pretty open ended. Take a look through the website below, plug in the dates you're interested in and come back with any further questions. Website also contains additional restaurant info.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...de/?nav=hptile

MikeT Feb 12th, 2006 06:30 AM

Have you done a tour of the monuments and memorials at night? The war memorials are especially powerful and beautiful at night.

rb_travelerxATyahoo Feb 12th, 2006 07:51 PM

If you don't do the monuments, I would go see &quot;Shear Madness&quot; at the Kennedy Center. During the intermission, or after the show, take a walk out on the terrace &amp; look at the surrounding cities.

I just learned of a place ... I think on K Street .. that has tix for 1/2 price to many entertainment offerings ... which included Shear Madness when I checked last ... I'll try to get the name &amp; url of it.

Christina Feb 13th, 2006 03:10 PM

There is plenty of decent theatre in DC of all kinds that one doesn't have to go to garbage like Shear Madness. Just because someone is a teenager doesn't mean they can't go to a real play, whether drama or comedy. There are lots of small theatres around Dupont Circle with good plays, as well as the Jewish Community Center on 16th, and there are the bigger shows at the Shakespeare or National or Warner. As long as you are in a city with good theatre, you might as well take advantage of it.

There are always movies, of course. What do you do with them on Friday. I'd just look in the paper there is everything possible to do listed in the Friday entertainment section, by category.

Sala Thai is considered one of the best Thai restaurants near Dupont Circle (2016 P st). I've eaten in a good Vietnamese on in Adams Morgan which might be a fun place for you to go and just walk around, also -- it's a popular night spot so there are lots of people out. that restaurant is Saigonnais at 2307 18th St. It was pretty good.

bethsmall1 Feb 13th, 2006 05:36 PM

We were in Dc last month. Our teenage boys had a great time at the outdoor ice skating rink at the Gallery. I'm not sure if it is stil cold enoough in march for it to be open.

obxgirl Feb 13th, 2006 06:58 PM

Shear Madness isn't high brow by any stretch but it's not garbage. It's the functional equivalent of London's Mouse Trap. Perhaps the lite version but family style entertainment. You could do a lot worse.

For instance, current movies targeted at teens. How about Final Destination 3? There's some garbage.

Anonymous Feb 14th, 2006 03:10 AM

My teens' favorite performances in DC were the Capitol Steps (musical political satire, updated weekly) and Shakespeare play at the Elizabethan Theater at the Folger Shakespeare Library. Get seats onstage, it's a very special experience.

msr3017 Feb 14th, 2006 04:12 AM

I second what anonymous said. Check out what is at the Folger Shakespeare Theater and if it is a comedy, look no further. My teens enjoy it whenever we go. It is a unique experience.

rb_travelerxATyahoo Feb 14th, 2006 07:40 AM

Seeing &quot;Shear Madness&quot; is by no means any great cultural experience, but the kids I've seen at it seem to really enjoy it; I think any teen would like it. I thought about recommending &quot;Capitol Steps&quot; as well, but think that some of the humor would be lost on those who don't follow current (political) events. Sometimes on vacation it's nice to just have some fun, especially after a day of &quot;cultural fulfillment&quot;.

If you want <i>garbage</i>, go see a movie, as Christina suggests. (Nothing like traveling across the country to spend time on something you can see at home, and probably for less cost too.)

GoTravel Feb 14th, 2006 08:40 AM

I third the suggestion for the Folger Shakespearian play.

My first time was when I was 18 and I was mesmorized.

I saw Othello when I was 23 and it made a fan out of me. It was chilling to see Desdimona rise out of the bed naked on stage.

It is a very powerful thing.

steviegene Feb 14th, 2006 08:52 AM

If you are looking for asian food - I have a suggestion. We were outside of Washington DC a couple of months ago and had a fantastic dining experience - fun and a little weird.

Korean BBQ! There are many around Washington. It is exotic - and a lot of fun! There is actually a grilll at your table - (a grill - not a griddle like at a Japanese &quot;cook at your table&quot; restaurant). They bring out food and YOU cook it yourself. The place we were - provided only chopsticks, and you grill and eat. They also give you a bunch of little plates full of tiny portions of a kinds of sauces and other exotic dishes. . . spring onions and sesames, some kind of weird egg souflette, etc. We had the &quot;variety platters&quot; which included all kinds of meats, fish etc.
The food was fantastic _ and the meal itself was an adventure. I think teenagers would have fun - especially making the food and eating with chopsticks.

To find one - try google local. &quot;Korean BBQ near (wherever you are in washington)&quot;

emd Feb 14th, 2006 09:16 AM

My 15 yr old son, who is an A-B honor roll student (but so what he is still a teenager), laughed very hard at Sheer Madness. I found it entertaining also.

The Smithsonian Museum of Natural History is open late on Friday nights for Smithsonian Jazz Cafe from 6 til 10 pm, w/a $10 cover, which includes late showings of all the current IMAX films, a jazz concert (this Fri. is Latin JAzz night), diferent ethnic food offerings, and the museum store is open for browsing.
See: http://www.mnh.si.edu/jazz/location.html

rb_travelerxATyahoo Feb 14th, 2006 05:45 PM

<b>emd:</b> Thanks for the tip on Smithsonian Jazz Cafe. That's what I will do for my next Friday night at DC.

Cappucinno Feb 19th, 2006 06:15 PM

Recommend one of the Potomac River dinner cruises that leave from the southwest waterfront - check out the Spirit of Washington cruises or the Odyssey (more pricey though). DC by water in the evening is a must if you have never done this.