Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What to do in the greater Philadelphia area next week-end

Old Oct 13th, 2004, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking of a last minute package deal (air & flight) next week-end into the Philadelphia area. Here is the hotel choice that seems the cheapest and okay--Staybridge Suites by Holiday Inn Malvern Great Valley. We would perhaps like to go into the city one day. Other than that we would like to do some day trips to some interesting sights or do somw hiking in some area with lovely fall foliage. We've only been to the area once, and it was years ago. I'd like to do some very minimal antiquing as my husband isn't into that. We're casual and outdoorsy and interested in history. Do you have any thoughts for me? What would you suggest for activities? Is this location good for a base for the types of things we'd be interested in, or would another side of the city be better? Is there a train we could take into the city from close to this location? We'll have a car. Thanks in advance for the suggestions.
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 05:16 PM

It could take you about 45 minutes to get downtown from this location driving, although there is a train that leaves from Malvern that would be faster. I'd try something closer to or in Center City, there are plenty of deals in Philly these days. Something interesting to do would be to go to Valley Forge National Park, it is beautiful, lots of trees and open spaces and free.
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 05:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As previously stated, Valley Forge National Park is not far from Malvern and has recently added guided tours. You can also hike through the park on your own. You could also visit Longwood Gardens in Kennett Square. You could shop along the Main Line in cute shops, or go to the King of Prussia Mall which is right down the road from Valley Forge Park. If you go into Phila., visit the Constitution Center and other historical sights.
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 05:20 AM

Hi julies, I can see that hotel from my house...

If you want to go to Philadelphia and outdoorsy, historical stuff, I think you'd probably like the area. Look at www.septa.org for the R5 train schedule to the city. We spend some time almost every weekend in Ridley Creek state park, about 20 minutes (and a pretty drive) south of here. The Brandywine/Chadds ford area has lots of historical stuff, plus antique shops.

We recently hiked in the White Clay Creek state park, and thought it would be perfect for fall foliage viewing. That's about an hour south of here.

~Liz
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 06:09 AM

A trip into the Philly branch of the US Mint was fun. Self guided.You didn't say where you are from, but NYC is only a couple hours away. Atlantic City not that far either. There is a beautiful aquarium across the river in Camden, NJ. It's right on the riverfront and is an awesome thing to go through! Have fun!!!
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 06:36 AM

The aquarium is closed until May 2005 due to renovations. It's also changing its name to Adventure Aquarium. However Philly has many other things to offer.
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 06:59 AM
Jed

The Malvern area is OK. You can skip Philly proper and concentrate on the western suburbs.

First see Valley Forge, then Wharton Esherick Studio near Paoli, then scoot down 202 to Chadds Ford to see the Brandywine Battlefield Park, Brandywine River Museum, then Longwood Gardens, Winterthur Museum.

Plenty to do in that area.

Old Oct 14th, 2004, 07:02 AM

The mint would be at the bottom of my list. This is the first time I've heard anyone recommend it. I believe there are security restrictions there, anyway.
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Another alternative lodging question. These package deals (flight and hotel) also include an option to stay right in downtown on Society Hill. Let me tell you about us and then I'd like some advice. We visited the Liberty Bell and the interesting marketplace and a couple other things in downtown about 20 years ago on a day trip. We are from Minneapolis and have done a lot of European travel. We like history but aren't museum nuts. We like ethnic food. We like the outdoors. We are not shoppers. Here is my question. Would we be better off with the suburban lodging and a car or would we be better off with the in-town lodging and no car? We don't want to be staring at each other after 12 hours wondering what to do next. In major European cities we've always functioned without a car, but are wondering if there really is enough to ekkp us interested for 2 1/2 days just in downtown Philadelphia. Thanks again.
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 07:18 AM

Stay in town! My word, there are tons of things to do in Philadelphia and more than enough to keep you busy for 2.5 days. I live in Europe (and used to live in Philadelphia, off Rittenhouse Square) and could easily spend 2.5 weeks in Philly without getting bored. In fact, I will be in Philly this weekend and am really looking forward to getting back there for a few days.
Don't forget, you could also easily catch a local train to places like Chestnut Hill or Manayunk if you want to escape Center City (they don't say "downtown" in Philadelphia). But Philadelphia is one of the best walking cities in the country and parts of it have a European feel (go to La Colombe on 19th and Walnut where Philly's Eurocrowd hang out for coffee).
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 09:26 AM

I second B. Tilke's recommendation to stay in town.

For one thing, Philadelphia has changed a lot over the past 20 years. I moved to Philadelphia in the early 1980s and I cannot believe how much the city has changed.

If you like ethnic food, you might enjoy a visit to the Italian Market or the Reading Terminal Market on Saturday (the Terminal is closed on Sunday, because many of the vendors are Amish or Mennonite). Recently, a mozzarella factory opened in the Italian Market and they offer tours (and samples). Philadelphia also has a Chinatown with some excellent restaurants.

If you're into history, but not museums per se, you may enjoy a tour of Eastern State Penitentiary, a 19th-century prison that once housed such famous criminals as bank robber Willie Sutton and Al Capone. The one thing you should be aware of is that for Halloween, they turn the prison into a haunted house at night. I'm not sure how that affects their daytime tours.

Center City has some fabulous architecture, so a walking tour could provide an outside experience. You could also rent bikes or rollerblades and spend some time getting fresh air and seeing the fall color on the drives in Fairmount Park.

Since you haven't seen the Kimmel Center for Performing Arts (it just opened a few years ago), I recommend at least walking through its public space to see Rafael Vinoly's innovative design.

I really don't think you'll be bored--Philadelphia has evolved into a fascinating city in the past decade or so.

What type of ethnic food do you like? Maybe we can offer some specific suggestions.

Old Oct 14th, 2004, 10:16 AM

Another vote for staying in town. So much to see and do, great restaurants in every price range, walkable, nightlife! Malvern is the middle of the suburbs, a short drive to Valley Forge Park, but a rather long, trafficky drive to Chadds Ford, Brandywine area and Longwood Gardens on a weekend. King of Prussia mall is just like every other mall everywhere--crowded, overpriced, and only fun for people who love to shop and must pay sales tax on clothing back where they live. Downtown, you can visit antique stores along Pine Street while your husband does something else, then meet up at a restaurant or other site. For outdoor fun, you can hike the loop route that runs behind the Art Museum along East River drive bordering the Schuylkill River, across a bridge, and back down along the West River Drive (about 8 miles?). The river drive is even closed to traffic for part of the weekend for better recreation. By next weekend, the trees will be colorful. You could take a train to Manayunk, enjoy the cute shops and nice restaurants without the hassle of parking, rent bikes and ride along the canal path/bike trail that either goes into town (along that same river drive as described above), or the other direction out to Valley Forge Park. It's about 11 miles of mostly level biking on paved or gravel paths from Manayunk to Valley Forge. A lot of fun! Another good thing about downtown is that you can find activities to match the weather, so if it's bad outside, you can find numerous fun indoor things to do. If you like alternative/folk music, get tickets to Philly's newest venue, World Cafe Live (i think that's its proper name--it has a website), which just opened on Walnut Street, in between the center city area and the U. of Pennsylvania campus. You can eat and drink there while watching the show. Or ride the train out to Bryn Mawr and take in a show at the Point, a historic folk music venue that was a "cool" hangout for those of us who were hanging out in the 60's. Kimmel Center downtown will have symphony concerts, and chamber music in the smaller theater, not to mention tours of the building. From Society Hill, you can walk to the Delaware River waterfront, to the South Street shopping area, to Northern Liberties art galleries, cafes and clubs, to the Independence Hall historic area, and to the commercial center of the city. Hope you have fun.
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 07:23 AM

Hi - I'm not as familiar with the Great Valley-Malvern area, but I definitely think you'd have plenty to do in the city. If you do stay in Center City, and you have a car even just for 1 day (though I think you mentioned you'd go without a car if staying in the City)I would also recommend consideration of Bucks County for a day trip. It's a beautiful area with a good share of history, including Washington Crossing & Pennsbury Manor, great restaurants, beautiful small towns (e.g. Newtown, Yardley, New Hope, Doylestown) & countryside with farms & covered bridges....and it's just a short drive up I-95 from Center City. The Newtown exit is only about 30 minutes from Center City (with little traffic, of course). I currently live in Bucks, so perhaps I'm a bit partial, but it really is a gorgeous area, particularly along the Delaware River. Whatever you choose, enjoy your trip!