Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What to do in The Bronx while husband at Yankee Stadium.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Husband has decided to do the tour of Yankee Stadium, and I feel it would be best if he does this by himself, you know, so he can get the most out of it
What would be some suggestions to keep myself and 5 year old daughter amused while he does the tour? It will be the first week of December, so I don't think we will be going to the zoo!
I can't seem to see anywhere how long the stadium tour goes for, but would we find enough to amuse ourselves wandering around Little Italy for the duration, maybe get a coffee/hot choc, then husband meeting us for lunch?

If so, does anyone have a recommendation for a restaurant...think 'cheap & cheerful' and warm.

We will have cooking facilities in the hotel and will eat in a few nights, so also thinking we could pick up some supplies, would this be a good place for that? (Fresh pasta etc).

Thank you!
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 06:06 PM

I don't know where you are staying - but if you don;t want to do the Zoo or the Botanical Garden - and neither is near the Stadium - I would stay in Manhattan and do something there. A 5 year old would be bored silly on Arthur Ave.

(And getting around the Bronx by public transit is not that easy -you really need a car if you're going to do more than visit a specific place with good transit connections.)
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 06:07 PM

What about the train show at the New York Botanical Garden?

Not a ton to do in the Bronx, other than the zoo (which is not that close to the Stadium). Maybe you could take her to FAO Schwartz while he's at the stadium and meet up somewhere afterward?

And yes, there is good food at Arthur Ave - but you can get the same at many places in Manhattan - and not have to haul it around for an hour on the subway.
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Gia

I agree, stay in Manhattan! The Bronx is really not a place for tourists to be wondering around esp with a small child, and especially without a car. I go to the Bronx to watch the game and then leave immediately to go home. If it weren't for the Yankees I'd never have a reason to be there. But that's just me.
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Gia

Your husband can meet you after at Serendipity or Alice's Tea cup in Manhattan afterwards. I think your daughter would love either of those places.
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Gia, I have Alice's Tea Cup on the list already. Is The Bronx unsafe? I thought that was a myth. Or is it just boring?

What is actually on Arthur St? If it's a bunch of food shops and markets, then there is no way daughter would be bored, if there is atmosphere. While she does love "kid stuff", she also loves just hanging out with her mama having coffee and begs me each week to go to the local produce markets. Apparently buying vegetables is fun. The only thing she really dislikes is shopping for clothing.

FAO Schwartz is my idea of hell...her Dad can take her there another day while I shop.
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 06:51 PM

Arthur Avenue is not really near a subway. You would need to take a subway and then a bus. Or take a MetroNorth train to Fordham and then walk or take a bus. In any case, it is on a different train line from Yankee Stadium and not very straightforward to travel between the two locations. Not worth the effort in my opinion. Aside from Yankee Stadium, the neighborhood around the stadium is boring and a bit gritty. The same is true for Arthur Avenue.

If your daughter loves hanging around with her mom shopping for produce, perhaps spend the time at Chelsea Market while your husband heads to the Bronx.
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Gia

I love Alice's Tea cup, it's sweet. Hope you guys like it too.

Honestly I havent hung out in the Bronx in over 10 years- except to go directly to a game. But it's never been my favorite borough, it's just my own prejudice, there are dangerous neighborhoods for sure but we have dangerous hoods in Brooklyn & Manhattan too... I think you'll be fine during the day on Arthur Avenue but I did send an email to my girlfriend who does live in the Bronx just to be sure. I'll let you know.
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Gia

KathrynJH - so my friend responded saying that Arthur Ave would be safe and you'd have plenty of places to shop for some good food. I'm still inclined to agree with ellenem about the effort of getting there, but if you have your heart set on it, have a cannoli for me!
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 08:00 PM

I second chelsea mkt over arthur av - arthur ave is fun once, mayb, for "atmosphere" but it is gritty and not conducive for a couple of hours fun.

I also think you should have an alternative in case it is raining or snowing. which chelsea market would give you.
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 08:17 PM

The Bronx is the poorest urban county in the country. The others have mentioned the limited attractions in the Bronx. The only thing they omitted is City Island for which you need a car and during the summer the traffic is ridiculous.

I am an old crotchety guy so I cannot offer suggestions what a little would girl would like, but the Bronx would not be high on that list in any event.
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 11:17 PM
Original Poster

Ok, you've all dissuaded me! Looking at the subway map, the #4 line goes through Harlem, maybe that would be a better option? Even something like a tour.

I'd just like to experience something a bit grittier, if that makes sense. I want to show my daughter that going away isn't all about Disney experiences. (We're going to disneyland on the way to NYC).
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 12:14 AM

The East Village and the Lower East Side are often described as gritty. There she will see a wide assortment of people and stores as well. It is the opposite of suburbia and malls.
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 03:27 AM

Don't know what you mean by gritty. Certainly a 5 year old should know the whole world isn;t Disney. And I don't think Arthur Ave is esp gritty - unless you are very sheltered. But it is quite inconvenient to get to - and you can easily get food just as good and a market atmosphere in Manhattan.

As for visiting Harlem there are several places there to go - if the weather is good. And a good part of it is gentrified or gentrifying. But I'm not sure I would want to take a 5 year old to areas with people sleeping in doorways or selling drugs on the corner (this is not most of Harlem - but there are pockets). I would think most of NYC would seem different to a 5 year old from a suburb.
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 04:21 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Take her to the Lower East Side or East Village for good pizza.
To buy good fresh pasta, Buon Italia in Chelsea Market..or EATALY.
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 07:32 AM

She might love Raffetto's. They have been making fresh pasta for over 100 years. They cut it to size on a clackity-clack machine that was obsolete 50 years ago. And for dessert go to Veniero's, another place well over 100 old for the best inexpensive Italian cheese cake and tiramisu in the city.

Other places to visit. Yonah Schimmel who makes knishes and they have not cleaned the windows since Yonah died. Another 100 year old establishment.

The Pickle Guys. Not very old but they make great pickles the traditional way and pickled pineapple which is addictive.

http://newyorkdailyphoto.blogspot.co...raffettos.html

http://knishery.com/

http://www.venierospastry.com/

http://www.pickleguys.com/

Places for pizza in the East Village include-Motorino, Luzzo's, and Gruppo.
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Gia

Oh yes! VENIERO'S... best cheesecake. One of our family traditions... you know, to eat it.
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 10:19 AM

KathyJH:

I suggest you heed the advice from the people who know! The Bronx is not the place to stroll around...even less so with your daughter. Public transit is not great to get around the borough.

But there are great places to go if you had a CAR!

You can get very gritty in Manhattan (Port Authority comes to mind)

Save the lessons for you daughter at some other time.

Why dont you subway over to Gramaldi's Pizza in Brooklyn and get some ice cream after (I forgot the name of the place near Gramaldi's) and walk back over the Brooklyn Bridge. (still can be nice days in December!)

I grew up in the Bronx, I know my way around. There are great spots and great people in that borough.........but..........nuff said.

PS: Where are you comming from??
-john

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -