Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What to do in Portsmouth, NH and vicinity?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 01:21 PM
tom cale

My wife and I and two children (4 and 6 years of age) will be visiting Portsmouth, NH for five days in June and would like some suggestions for ways to spend our days and evenings. We have a rental car, and don't mind driving a few hours away from Portsmouth. We are looking for a variety of experiences, so send 'em on!

[By the way, we will have preceded the Portsmouth part of our trip with two days in Boston, so we're primarily interested in things to do north of Beantown.]

Thanks!

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 02:14 PM
Penny

Tom,

Portsmouth is lots of fun; I just recommended it to someone in this forum who was looking for somewhere to go with her preschool grandchild. The children's museum is great, and your kids are probably just about the prime age for it. http://www.childrens-museum.org/index.cfm

There's a "yellow submarine" slide and play area, a lobster boat with gear to dress up in, an old post office window--lots of stuff. It's small scale so easy to handle, and inexpensive to boot. There's a park nearby, where you can picnic, and you can take a harbor cruise.

Strawbery Banke is the old, restored area of town--it's very interesting and fun, though your kids might be on the young side to appreciate all of what they see. There are many interesting stores and restaurants throughout the city--including at least one really nice toy shop.

As you get off I-95 at one of the Portsmouth exits, you'll find the S.S. Albacore, a submarine you can tour. I think my kids were your kids' ages, or perhaps 5 and 7, when we did that, and they really enjoyed it.

Just to your south in Mass. is Newburyport, which is a beautiful old seacoast town. Right there also is Plum Island, a beautiful stretch of beach--try to spend some time there. Also, you'll be near Gloucester and Magnolia, and your girls (and you) might enjoy Hammond Castle. http://www.hammondcastle.org/

Gloucester itself offers a lot to see--if you and your wife have seen "Perfect Storm," you'll enjoy all the familiar scenes from Gloucester. You can drive way out to one of the points and walk out on the breakwater. Wingaershek (sp?) beach is also quite beautiful there.

As I think of more stuff I'll post again.

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 06:17 PM
Beth

Water Country in Portsmouth is a fun water park, and has an area just for younger kids. Also, the Seacoast Science Center in Rye is a low key area for hiking paths, picnics, and tide pooling. Near Strawberry Banke there is a park with an outdoor theatre; call the Chamber of Comm to see what's playing this summer and check the schedule. I also recommend the Albacore. Also a boat trip on the Thomas Leighton would be nice; they have a great internet site with all the schedules and types of tours. If you get really brave ... they would LOVE Story Land in North Conway/Glen, NH! A fun dinner would be at Fosters Clambake (Lobsters!) in York, Maine; they even have some fun entertainment and sing alongs. Have a great vacation!

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 06:31 PM
Beth

Ch

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 06:49 PM
Lynne

I am interested in things in the Porstmouth area for older children - pre-teens and teens. We have already been to Strawberry Banke and need something to offer the kids in return for their tolerating yet another trip to Kittery. Any thoughts?

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 07:04 PM
Beth

There's a "ghost walk" tour through the city at night; no real ghosts - just the legends! Also, check out those Thomas Leighton boat tours mentioned above. They have Reggae nights, whale watches, science cruises. Also - have your kids been to Water Country? Seems like something they may like.

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 07:09 PM
Beth

P.S. (I always think of something after I post) You could consider staying further north in Maine. If they are older teens, they may like walking around Ogunquit or Kennebunkport at night, through the shops and restaurant scene. Ogunquit has a nice hotel called the Sparhawk with pool and walking distance to beach or Perkins Cove. Kennebunkport has the whale watches and a "ghost boat." I'll check back if you have any other questions.

Old Jun 10th, 2001, 03:52 AM
B

Check related post on Salem with teens.

Old Jun 10th, 2001, 05:28 PM
tom cale

Thanks all, for your good suggestions. I am open to even more ideas, especially fun and interesting day trips away from Portsmouth (we're staying there five days and plan to get out and explore).

What's expecially worth seeing and doing in Maine (within 2-3 hours of Portsmouth)?

Any ideas for NH drives?

How about things to do along the Mass. seacoast north of Boston?

Kepp those GREAT ideas coming!

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 03:53 AM
Donna F

I vote for doing outdoor things. If you feel comfortable in a canoe, there are several places to rent canoes in and around Concord NH. The Merrimack River is very clean and quiet. There is a guide to Hiking the White Mountains with Children. There are some short trails and having a picnic in the woods/mountains might be a nice treat. Arethusia Falls is nice. Check bug conditions however, right now the mosquitos are terrible. For another picnic spot not far from the road, there are small falls along the notch road which is only open in summer. We have not been to the Mt Kearsarge Indian Museum in Warner NH but always hear good reports about it. On weekend they frequently have special events. NH events are listed in the Sunday and Thursday editions of newspapers. For the Concord NH area try www.concordmonitor.com. The Union Leader covers more of the state www.unionleader.com. You can pay to walk thru a mountain gorge such as The Flume and take an aerial tramway to the top of Cannon Mountain. Also check out Squam Lakes Science Center. We went on a great nature cruise, just a small pontoon boat. Near Portsmouth is the International Children's Festival in Somersworth on June 16. Official website is www.nhfestivals.org. Check for activities geared for children at any of the Audubon Centers. The one in Concord seems to have frequent events. I'm not sure if your community has great playgrounds but many NH towns have built some wonderful playgrounds. In Concord go to White's Park - great place for a picnic too. There are several great sandwich places on Main St but my favorite is In a Pinch Cafe on Pleasant St in Concord NH up near the high school. I don't think story hours will have started yet, but that is also another idea and some libraries do small craft projects as well. If you are REALLY lucky you will find a live storytelling event to attend. Odds Bodkin is great. If you are here around June 21st, there should be a solstice celebration at the Indian Museum.

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 04:10 AM
Carol

Another vote for Mt. K. Indian Museum in Warner, and a recommendation for the "hike" around Lost River and its caves. Mt. Washington Cog RR is popular, although I found it loud and dirty! Cape Ann is fun and described thoroughly in other posts.
You sure you're not writing a book? Where are you coming from?

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 05:47 AM
xxx

Here's a question right up my alley. I live in Newburyport and have two kids (5 and 8).

The Portsmouth Children's Musuem is a must. Much smaller scale than the Children's Musuem in Boston. You could visit both and not feel like you've duplicated the experience.

Portsmouth also has a children's theater group. I haven't been personally though the kids have been there on field trips and have loved all the productions they have seen.

We've eaten at a rest. called Lock Stock and Barrel (could be off on the name). It features soups and sandwiches. Its lower level has a big window looking over the harbor. There's a great view of the working tugboats that tie up right there. Fascinated my girls.

The Orionne State Park has a Science Center (not the science center in Seabrook at the nuclear power plant) - this one is in Rye. As the previous poster stated its very low key but just enough for a 4 and 6 year old. Bring a picnic.

York Beach, ME is close by. My kids love this outing. First we stop in York Harbor for breakfast (can't remember the name of the place). Then we drive another mile or two along the water to Long Sands Beach for a walk. Then to Short Sands for a picnic on the grass and a trip to the playground - great playground right there overlooking the water. Then we walk up to the center and watch the salt water taffy being made at the Goldenrod its hypnotic. Then inside to sit at the counter for an ice cream. Then the drive home includes a stop at Nauset Light to see a real lighthouse and a bit of a climb on the rocks. York is just 20 minutes north of Portsmouth.

Also agree with the Storyland idea. From Portsmouth its about a 90 minute drive. Go on a weekday to avoid traffic. StoryLand is a small scale amusement park just perfect for kids your children's ages. Not a honky tonk atmosphere. Clean, well maintained, colorful. Food is reasonable as is the admission. The kids would love it. Gentle rides. A few speedier rides for the young daredevil types. Its in Glen NH in the White Mountains.

Enjoy your trip - its a wonderful area. Great to raise kids in. Grab a Parents Paper at the Children's Museum to get even more ideas.

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 07:00 AM
Audrey

I think xxx above means Nubble Light, not Nauset? Portland Head Light in Cape Elizabeth is also worth seeing.

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 08:45 AM
dougd

As mentioned above, there is lots to do in the White Mtns. If you enjoy hiking, pick up a copy of David Doan's 50 Hikes in the White Mountains. Up the Maine coast, there are some great beaches, most towns have a public parking lot that will get you onto a beach for about $8.00 a carload. Wells Beach comes to mind as one with lots of parking, and lots of wide open sandy beaches. Of course there is always Hampton Beach in NH, which is somwhat of a honkey tonk - city teen mecca - lots of cars cruisin the strip, sleazy souvineer shops, etc. NH does have some nice beaches however, and some very beautiful (but short) coastline.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 05:19 PM
tom cale

GREAT responses so far. Thanks everyone.

Anybody else want to chime in?

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 05:28 PM
mimi taylor

One of my favorie places is THE LOBSTER PIER AY CHAUNCY CREEK in Kittery, Maine noted for its outlets but this place, you walk down a ramp onto the creek, pick your own lobster, they sell soft drinkd for the kids, but you can bring your own wine and beer, and anything that they don't sell, for instance salad.

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 02:02 PM
tom cale

Well, we returned from our Portsmouth trip tanned and happy. Thanks to everyone for your marvelous suggestions--we incorporated many of them into our trip planning.

Highlights included walking around downtown Portsmouth, Ogunquit Beach (it was in the 90s when we were there!), the Portsmouth Harbor boat tour, Strawbery Banke, side trip to Concord, NH, and the smell of the ocean air.

Disappointments included the Sheraton in Portsmouth (the rooms were surprisingly shoddy for a Sheraton--this place REALLY needs an overhaul), and the traffic on 95.

Otherwise everything was super! Portsmouth gets my family's highest recommendation--the sites were great, the people were charming and, with the exception of the Portsmouth Sheraton, the facilities (hotels, restaurants, and tourist centers) were first rate. We had a GREAT time!