Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What to do in NYC on New Year's Eve... besides Times Square?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any good suggestions for New Year's eve in NYC, besides the party @ Times Square? Thanks!
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 10:38 AM

The Midnight run in Central Park. Not for everyone, but we think it's great fun and do it every year.

http://www.nyrrc.org/race/2003/r1231x00.htm
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 10:41 AM
GoTravel

There is a family thing at St. John the Divine.

Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 12:09 PM

Hope you can come to the concert at St. John the Divine, it is an annual event, starting at 7pm and the church is FULL, if you are interested I can get you tickets to sit in the prefered section.

I sing with the chorus on New Year's Eve, and it is a wonderful event, called the Concert for Peace. We were part of the Millenium Celebration on ABC for 2000.

The concert is hosted by Harry Smith (from CBS) and there are performances by broadway stars and usually one huge star (won't mention her name), one of the reasons the church is filled up.

I'm the redhead on the end of the soprano section. lol.

The program is usually over by 9 so you have time for dinner festivities.

The end of the concert is very moving as the entire audience, chorus, orchestra have candles (think several hundred people) in this HUGE cathedral, something to remember it's why so many of us do the concert year after year.

Let me know if you want tickets, OH>>>>> and by the way it's one of the best bargins in the city since the concert is FREE!!!!!!!
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 02:30 PM

Midnight run?? St. John the Divine??? People, is that what you think "pinkfloyd18" is looking for "besides the party @ Times Square?"

Just a guess, but I'd say not a chance. If I'm wrong, accept my sincere apologies.

Pinkfloyd18, you're probably wondering where you can tear it up in NYC on NYE. The answere is, a million places, but let me tell ya, it ain't cheap. Most bars have colossal cover charges, often all-you-can-drink however, but it makes bar-hopping difficult if not impossible.

What type of crowd/atmosphere/experience/price are you looking for? Every option is available, from dive bars to black tie, and I've tried a bunch of 'em over the years.

Another issue to consider is transportation. Cabs are tough to catch between 1-4am.

Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 03:47 AM
Original Poster

All of your recomendations are great.

And yes Gekko, I am looking for something besides Times Square.

I'd like something maybe in Midtown (I will be staying at the Roosevelt). Perhaps a party or event that has a great enviroment, but that's not as crowded as Times Square. As of today, price is not an object; however, something extremely pricy and ridiculous is out of the question.

Thanks!
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 05:09 AM

There are alot of events on New Year's Eve in the city. Have you been to the "First Night" website yet? They are part of the citywide celebration including dancing at Grand Central Station in the main hall.

You don't give us enough info on what kind of party you are looking for.

Lots of restaurants in the city also have dinner and dancing, so that would be another option.

Try the First Night website for other ideas.

Have fun.
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 05:17 AM

All clubs are open (from jazz to rock to dance) and the typical going rate for entry on NYE is between $75 - $200 pp. if you purchase in advance. At the door the price will sometimes go up by $50. Check the following online for ideas: NYTimes, Time Out NY, Village Voice.
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 10:13 AM

Just my opinion, but midtown is lame. How about dinner & dancing at Tribeca Grill? I'm sure there's a website with information.
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Well, I know I am not giving you any specific details on what I'd like to do. I've been to NYC several times, but never on New Year's Eve though... so I am clueless on what to expect!

And as of what I consider "ridiculous pricy", well, perhaps something $500+ per person. As I said, I do not know what to expect on NYE, so any help would be great!

Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 05:17 PM

Well, the First Night celebration at Grand Central and other locations around the city will be alcohol-free. FYI.

You might check out Time Out New York magazine. It is likely to have some ideas about parties at clubs, etc.

Many hotels and party spaces also have parties with food/booze/bands. Tickets are likely to be upwards of $150-200 pp.
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 06:13 PM

Do you mean that you'll consider anything under $500 per person? (And, no, I'm not being sarcastic!)
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

As I said, I do not know what to expect. I know that there are many events that are even more expensive than that... I've never splurged that much ever, and it's NYC so perhaps I should do it.
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 08:06 AM

If you are willing to spend up to $300-$350 per person, you should try some of the top restaurants in the city. A lot have special New Year's Eve packages in that price range.
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 08:13 AM

Absolutely, HowardR is correct. Select a few restaurants your interested in and either call directly about NYE or check their websites (if available).