Portland - That 'Special' Hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2006, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Friends who are not online, will be celebrating their 50th Anniversary with a leisurely drive from San Francisco to Vancouver/Victoria in mid-September.

They have chosen their hotels along their route and at their destinations, except for their 4 day stay in Portland.

They are looking for someting very special, in the $250 - $300 range. They will go higher if need be.

They appreciate fine dining, so any restaurant recommendations would be appreciated.

They are special people and deserve the best.

Nina

Old Jul 8th, 2006, 08:38 AM

The Heathman just did some renovating on their rooms, worked on the kitchens and dining..it is a lovely hotel and restaurant. In the heart of downtown, next door to the Schnitzer Concert Hall..good shopping and eating nearby.
heathmanhotel.com

I still prefer the 5th Avenue Suites..which is a Kimpton Hotel with plenty of perks and lovely rooms.
5thavenuesuites.com
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 08:39 AM

There are a zillion restaurant recommendations for Portland in past posts (as recently as this month). Just search for "Portland" or "Portland restaurants" above.

The usual choice here for a nice Portland hotel is the 5th Avenue Suites. I'd in addition recommend its sister property, the Hotel Vintage Plaza, just a few blocks away on Broadway. Both hotels are "botique" hotels with special rooms. I've seen one of the nicer rooms at the Vintage Plaza: the one with the outdoor balcony and hot tub out there (typical as a honeymoon suite). If I were you, I'd find these hotel websites and preview the room choices for your friends. Or, call the front desks of each hotel and ask for the room details. Some of the front desk people work at both hotels, so if you call and get the right one, they can recommend the exact room they would want.

Another choice might be the Riverplace Hotel which, unlike the other two, is right on the water down at Riverplace and probably offers nice views (I've not been inside).

Andrew
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, you both made it fast and easy for me this lazy Saturday morning. I'll do my homework and pass on the info to them. Looks like the 5th Ave. will be a good choice.

I should of course have said Portland, Oregon - maybe we'll get a few recomendations for Portland, Maine too ;-)

Nina
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 05:43 PM

LOL, well, it would have been SOME trip if they were driving SF to Vancouver by way of Maine
Be sure to tell them to mention it is an anniversary stay, they are very nice at the hotel and do a lot of special Little things for guests.
You should see the presents Pup got when we stayed there ! ((&))