Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   What to do in Kauai? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/what-to-do-in-kauai-427929/)

mich28 May 3rd, 2004 10:14 AM

What to do in Kauai?

My husband and I are going to Hawaii in June. We will be in Kauai for a total of 4 nights and 3 days. What would be the best itinerary? What is a must see? We are going on a helicopter tour our second morning, but besides that we have not booked anything else besides our hotels. We were considering a sunset cruise along the NaPali coast. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Joy

tankgirl12 May 3rd, 2004 10:37 AM

I honeymoon there last June and stayed there for 9 days. I can't possibly list all the things. Best bet is to visit the book store and purchase/or read up on the kauai guidebooks. The 'Ultimate Kauai' guide is what I used. It tells you where to go, secret places, where to stop on the way, and how to get there. Ofcourse read all the Kauai post...it has tons of info.
Kauai is not a beach place or a place to worry about fine dinning. It's all about the nature of the island. Hike a lot and rent a good car so you can drive everywhere. The helicopter tour should be awesome. It was breath taking...a true paradise. I've never seen any place like it. Travel safe.

iamq May 3rd, 2004 10:42 AM

Go to Waimea Canyon. If you are hikers, take one of the many hikes there. Stop for pizza at Brick Oven in Kalaheo on the way back. Jo-Jo's shave ice in Waimea is also a must do while on this trip. Snorkel at Tunnels and Ke'e. Kilauea Lighthouse is an interesting stop to make on the way up or on the way back from the a trip to the north shore. DON"T do the luau at the Hyatt! Cheesy and awful!

mich28 May 3rd, 2004 10:43 AM

We rented a convertible, will that be o.k. or should we get a Jeep.

JohnD May 3rd, 2004 11:09 AM

<font color="red">A<font color="orange">l<font color="green">o<font color="blue">h<font color="purple">a<font color="black"> mich28,

1. Kee Beach snorkeling, on a calm day.
2. NaPali coast trail (for rugged hikers, or do helicopter or boat/snorkeling tour) entrance at Kee Beach, where the road ends, north shore.
3. Waimea canyon (Hawaii's Grand Canyon)
4. Beach House Restaurant for ((#)) sunset((S)) dinner, reserve in advance or consider Friday Night Seafood Buffet at Princeville Hotel, or sunset dinner at nearby Bali Hai Restaurant in Hanalei Bay Resort.:S-
</font></font></font></font></font></font>

iamq May 3rd, 2004 11:12 AM

Stick with the convertible.

Samsaf May 3rd, 2004 12:31 PM

If you're not staying at the Hyatt on Poipu Beach, go there just to tour the grounds; while you're there, explore the cliff by the ocean.

Sherry

Nancy03 May 3rd, 2004 12:37 PM

Samsaf: Can you describe this cliff area by the Hyatt - how long is the hike, difficulty, what's to see etc. I've heard it mentioned on the boards before. We will be a the hyatt our first 2 nights on Kauai.

mich28 May 3rd, 2004 01:06 PM

Should we go to Fern Grotto or is it overrated?

bonniebroad May 3rd, 2004 01:20 PM

Fern Grotto, when it's lush and green, is beautiful, and if you have several days on Kauai, and want to just chill out, float down the river, sing a couple of silly songs, and see beautiful greenery.......... do it! However, if you're a busy snorkeler and hiker, and only have three days there, I'd say skip it!

iamq May 3rd, 2004 04:16 PM

Nancy03, I'm not samsaf, but I've stayed at the Hyatt and have hiked the lithified cliffs nearby. A nice out and back hike. Very windswept terrain and wild surf conditions. The cliffs are strange looking, sort of like they've been eaten away over time. It is worth doing. Not a long and particularly strenous hike, but interesting. It was fun to explore the area a bit. Enjoy! They have a map of the area that you can get at the Hyatt.

kealii May 3rd, 2004 04:16 PM

A previous poster said Kauai is not a beach place... What?? Some of the best beaches I've seen are on Kauai - especially if you hit the weather right. The blue bible will give you a good run down on what and where. Kauai is my favorite because of its great mixture of beautiful beaches, great hikes, awsome waterfalls and majestic cliffs. Blue bible for sure, baby.

bonniebroad May 3rd, 2004 04:21 PM

Kealii, I agree. I did a double-take, too, when I saw that comment! Someone hasn't been on the North Shore, especially, and the South shore is not shabby!

turn_it_on May 3rd, 2004 04:29 PM

Kauai better freakin' be a beach place, based on how many beaches I have dog eared in the blue book and plan on drooling over everyday until June!

love
roxy

iamq May 3rd, 2004 04:36 PM

Don't worry Roxy, it is THE beach place.:) Just wait till you stand there at Tunnels gazing along the beach up to Mt. Makana. Pure bliss. You will be in heaven!

mich28 May 3rd, 2004 05:17 PM

Thank you all for all the great info!

Samsaf May 3rd, 2004 07:18 PM

Nancy03, the cliff is an area to the left of the resort (if you are the resort looking toward the ocean). It is a pretty easy hike, and when you're at the top you can see a good view of the ocean, the waves crashing against the rocks, and there are fisherman up there balanced precariously on some of the rocks on the side of the cliff. My husband and I just thought it was pretty. You can see the cliff when you are at the lagoon pool. Also, the lagoon pool is so large people were kayaking in it!

You will love this hotel. We have been to lots of nice of hotels around the world, but we consider this one of our very favorites. We hope to return in 2 years to celebrate our 25th anniversary.

Sherry

pspercy May 3rd, 2004 10:50 PM

Kauai beaches are beautiful to say the least, however don't neglect the safety aspects. This may have been the reason for other less than enthusiastic postings. They can be very dangerous, even lethal.
This is not a reason to stay away, just to be forewarned. Think about it, the island is a pimple in the middle of an ocean.

http://starbulletin.com/2004/04/03/news/story3.html

http://www.teok.com/Drownings/drownmap.html

Personally, I can't wait to return :)

PamSF May 4th, 2004 09:28 AM

Agree with getting the Ultimate Kauai book. I'd also add Tunnels Beach, The Botanical Gardens on the North Shore, a lomi lomi massage whereever you can find it,and a bowl of nodles at Haemura's Saimen.

PamSF May 4th, 2004 09:29 AM

and a fish taco from the green truck in Hanlei.