what to do in Chelsea, Michigan

Sep 27th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

what to do in Chelsea, Michigan

if my son gets accepted into the Michigan Head Pain and neurological institute in Ann Arbor, Michigan, he'll be there in Chelsea, Michigan, for approximately two weeks. His initial visit is on Oct. 24. we don't know the area and would appreciate any info on places to stay, getting around, places to food shop( I'll be on my own while my son is in the program and would like to prepare some meals), also weather, suggestions for dress, and where I might find a yoga class or take a walk in nature. thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Sep 27th, 2007, 05:49 PM

Chelsea is close to Ann Arbor. They have extended stay suites(several brands) which would be good for cooking. There are many wonderful food shops and a farmer's market in Ann Arbor. The weather is variable, usually warm during the day and cold at night, but you should be prepared for all types of weather. Hope your son gets the help he needs there.
Sep 27th, 2007, 08:25 PM

Ann Arbor is an excellent suggestion. It's about 18 miles from Chelsea and has most of what you're looking for.

Two good places to walk in Ann Arbor are the Nichols Arboretum, known simply as The Arb, and the Matthaei Botanical Gardens. Both are part of the Univ of Michigan and are free.

If your son will have some time out of the program, he'd probably enjoy the Ann Arbor Hands-on Museum. It's a science center that has lots of activities and programs for all ages.

A little further up I-94 in Dearborn is The Henry Ford. It's an indoor-outdoor museum complex that has historic buildings collected by Henry Ford and a top-notch transportation collection. You could easily spend a couple days exploring there.
Sep 28th, 2007, 03:29 AM
arbutusbeach

The Purple Rose theater is in Chelsea..a great little venue started by Jeff Daniels...also, right on the main drag is The Common Grille...an excellent eating establishment...you won't be disappointed!

Sep 30th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

mumser,citylights, and arbutusbeach- your suggestions are very appreciated. How good is public transportation in Ann Arbor and Chelsea??? I'm not sure whether to rent a car. Is there a public library that will allow me access to a computer to use the internet?? I don't have a laptop.
Is the layout of both cities like a grid and fairly easy for an out-of towner to navigate??? Neither my son nor I has any sense of direction.
thanks for all your help
Sep 30th, 2007, 07:47 AM
ComfyShoes

Hmm.... Ann Arbor and Chelsea don't exactly have the big city type public transportation infrastructure because they are quite small towns. I am pretty sure there is no regular bus service between AA and Chelsea but please confirm from www.theride.org. In your shoes, I would rent a car, stay off of highways and drive quiet, scenic-enough backroads to commute, and enjoy the towns at leisure. Layouts? As I mentioned earlier, these aren't exactly large cities. Just get a map. For public library information, visit www.aadl.org.

Sep 30th, 2007, 08:29 AM

I know it would be costly, but I think you would feel trapped if you didn't rent a car. Chelsea is a country town, no grids. Ann Arbor has some grid, but all kinds of street design. It is easy to get around Ann Arbor by car. All you need is a map. The signs are excellent. I think the library in Ann Arbor has internet access, but I'm not sure if you need a library card.
Oct 2nd, 2007, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

I've been looking into rental cars with a GPS system. National Car Rental has a car available for pick up at Ann Arbor Airport. I only know about Detroit Airport. Our destination is the Michigan Head Pain and Neurological Institute in Ann Arbor. Which airport should be our destination?? can you recommend a car rental agency with options to pick up either at the airport or in Ann Arbor near the institute?
Oct 2nd, 2007, 09:12 AM

The most convenient airport options for you are Toledo, OH or Detroit Metro. I live 30 miles south of Chelsea and must say, you really have to rent a car. You don't need GPS, all that you do is stay on I94, which runs all the way from Chelsea, to Ann Arbor, to the airport. I have used priceline for rental cars at dtw and have been successful at getting a much better rate.

If you don't want to rent you can take a car service from DTW to Ann Arbor then rent a car at a local pick up for Enterprise, but I believe that is going to result in more $$ than just renting from the airport considering you will then need another car service from the car rental location back to the airport.

I am only familiar with a private corporate airport in A2 - have you actually tried to reserve a ticket at this A2 airport that you mention? If you can fly into it that would be best, if at all possible.
Oct 2nd, 2007, 09:12 AM

What airport are you flying from?
Oct 2nd, 2007, 10:20 AM

The Ann Arbor airport doesn't have commercial service. Detroit Metro Airport is only about 25 miles east of Ann Arbor.

Most of the flights into the Toledo Airport are shuttles from the larger airports nearby (CLE, ORD and DTW). The only cities beyond 200 miles are Atlanta, Tampa and Orlando. So, you'd likely have the most number of flights and best fares into DTW.

The Ann Arbor Library has both wired and wireless internet access. If you're not a library card-holder, you need a photo ID to obtain a guest-user code.

The Chelsea Library at 221 S Main also has computers available for use.

Since AČ has thousands of college students, I'm sure you'd easily find an internet cafe if you're unable to get online at one of the libraries.

If you wind up looking for evening activites, the U of M music school frequently has programs. The University Musical Society brings top talent ranging from Hubbard Street Dance to Yo-Yo Ma to Bobby McFerrin and Wynton Marsalis. Check their site at www.ums.org. I hope things work out for you and your son.
Oct 2nd, 2007, 03:45 PM

A few years ago I helped my daughter find an apartment in Ann Arbor. I rented a car at Detroit Metro Airport. It was from Hertz. The first car they gave me was so bad, I took it right back, and they gave me a car with Neverlost. I didn't think I needed it, but it was a great help. It was also good for looking up phone numbers of restaurants, etc. It is an easy drive from the airport to Ann Arbor. Hope this helps.