What to do in and around Ames, Iowa???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2009, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Ames, Iowa for a four day competition in May. There are five of us-- 2 adults and 3 boys aged 4, 10, & 11. What is there to do during our down time (which will be substantial)? I think we would have time to do anything within a 100 mile radius of Ames.

Also restaurant suggestions in Ames?

Thanks.
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 05:36 AM

I had a confernce there last year. There is a Botanical Garden in or at the edge of the University. The campus is very nice and would probably have soemthing going on - college sports, a play, etc...
There is fully restored farmhouse (circa 1800's) museum on campus too.
There is a Farmers market in town.
I hear there is railway museum with train excursions that might be fun for a couple of hours with boys!
That is the realm of my expertise - lots of farmland!!
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 07:04 AM

The Amana Colonies.
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 09:05 AM

I lived in Ames for fourteen years, and these restaurants WERE good at that time. If they're lousy now, sorry.
Hickory Park -- on South Duff
Cazador -- surpisingly good Mexican food

If you're willing to drive 100 miles, then you can go to Des Moines, with Living History Farms, the State Capitol, the State History Museum, and (possibly) Adventureland.
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great ideas...

anything else?
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 12:47 PM

Hickory Park is a great barebeque/smoke house! It can get a little crowded around dinner time, but the wait isn't to long because the place is so huge! And they have great ice cream treats for dessert. We go at least once when we visit my husband's family in Ames!
Ledges State Park is near by. They have some fun hikes and you can play in the creek/river if I recall correctly. We went in late May a couple of years ago and it was pretty nice!
Des Moines has a great hands on science museum with an IMAX theatre.
I haven't been to the Living History Farms before, but my husband likes it. The state history museum was interesting, but I really enjoyed the science museum!
The ISU campus is great! There is a butterfly pavilion in the botanic gardens on campus that is so much fun! I really love the campus as well. They are an aggie school, so you can see some of the animals in the corrals. We usually stop and see the horses if we are over there.
Have fun out there! Ames is nice in May!
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Great info-- thanks so much!
Old May 17th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

We will be going in a week and I just wanted to double check to see if there are any other recommendations our there.

Also I need to make a reservation for a large group for dinner one night-- any suggestions? We have a few vegetarians with us so the food needs to cater to them as well.

Thanks.
Jeanne
Old May 19th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

topping
Old May 19th, 2009, 02:13 PM

We love Ames - our daughter attends ISU. Our favorite place to eat is Old Main on a very short block - hard to find - in downtown - Main Street. It has lots of room for groups and some vegetarian entrees. The lasagna is the best we've ever had and the steaks and chili are great too - service is excellent - never had a bad meal there. For more casual fare we love La Fuente - really great mexican food - on Duff street. I'm sure you have your hotel but we get great service at the Best Western University. And up the street on University is the Reimann Gardens - I think even little boys would find plenty to keep them busy there. Its a beautiful refreshing spot.
Old May 20th, 2009, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Eileyann Thank you for your recommendations. I am having problems in finding a restaurant that can accommodate our group. I will try Old Main and see if it takes reservations.
Old May 20th, 2009, 09:59 AM

I live in Ames, Iowa

Reiman Gardens is fun place, it is a garden, currently has an outdoor dinosaur display, and also an inside butterfly room.

Boone, about 10 miles away, has a railroad that you can take - Boone Scenic Railroad or something to that name. Boys might find it cool.

Des Moines is about 45 mins away, not 100 miles!

Olde Main Brewery would be good choice! Hickory Park doesn't take reservations, but has fairly broad dining menu and prices are reasonable (under $10 person). Cazadors, in west Ames on Lincolnway, is a nice family Mexican restaurant and they would take reservations.
Old May 20th, 2009, 10:09 AM

I accidentally clicked submit (oops!)

We have some nice city parks with playgrounds. Iowa State has some fairly young ponies you can walk up and see Smallish size, but nice, public library with nice children's area. Several movie theatres in town. There is a miniature golf and batting place on Duff, but not sure if it is open - I suspect it is. In the mall is an indoor golf that glows in dark, pretty cool for kids (I have kids, can you tell?!) You could always hop on Cyride and cruise around Ames - it's free this summer (city bus). My kid like riding the bus, just for fun.

You could try the Ames Tourist page (http://www.visitames.com/)

Many local churches if you are interested.

If you want to drive to DM or Ankeny, there are plenty of options as well. The DM Science Center is really cool place and your boys would love it! The Capitol well, interesting but boring for kids.

Send me a message and I'd be happy to help you find more!
Old May 26th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sunnyshine! I have a call into Old Main Brewery-- I am hoping they will be able to accommodate us. I spoke w/ HP and they definitely don't take reservations and they expect to be packed when we want to go... I also have a call into Lucullan Italian Grill-- is it a good place? And I will call cazadors now. Thanks so much for your suggestions!
Old May 30th, 2009, 08:10 PM

How did your trip to Ames end up? I hope it was good. I'm assuming you were here for Odyssey of the Mind. I've never been to Lucullan's, little too costly for our family. Ames is a nice little town Hope you enjoyed your visit.