what to do in albuquerque?

Old Nov 4th, 2001, 04:52 PM
Lou

what to do in albuquerque?

We are traveling to Albuquerque in Feb. Any ideas on what to see/do and where to eat? Also are there any places to get a horse and do some riding? I really appreciate any help. Thanks.

Old Nov 4th, 2001, 06:44 PM
xxx

Take the Sandia Tram up and do some hiking. It's a nice tram ride and a beautiful area. I'd also think about driving to Santa Fe for a few days.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 04:31 AM
Grant

I second the suggestion to take the Sandia Peak tramway up to the top of the mountain. I enjoy going to Petroglyph National Monument and doing some hiking. The aquarium and botanical garden are nice. I would definitely recommend driving up to the Museum of International Folk Art in Santa Fe, which is my favorite museum in the country. I always find myself wandering around that place with a huge grin on my face because it's got so much cool, happy stuff.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 08:49 AM
dont

Just a question Lou, no harm intended, honestly; if you don't know what you want to see and do in Albuquerque, why are you going? Just very curious.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 09:10 AM
travellyn

I like the Pueblo Indian Cultural Center and Old Town. The tram is great, especially at the top around sunset. There should be snow up on the Sandia Crest at that time of year if you like skiing.

I have eaten at Sadie's for New Mexican food, but since I don't live in ABQ, I can't comment much on restaurants.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 01:05 PM
stephanie

What to do in Albuquerque? Go to Sante Fe! Probably one of the most underated places we have been. Our only regret was that we didn't allot ourselves enough days there.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 05:53 PM
fodor

Actually Santa Fe is almost always listed in anyone's ranking of favorite cities in the US, right up there with the big boys NYC, SF, NO, Chicago, LA, etc.
Many novice travellers don't know about it.
But it's a surprisingly enjoyable destination to most first timers.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 06:03 PM
cindy

If you can, go and have a look at Acoma Pueblo - it's also called Sky City. It's amazingly beautiful. The pueblos are often closed to tourists for religious reasons, with no advance notice, so it's very often just a matter of luck, but do try to get to see it. It's a fascinating glimpse of history in a fantastic setting.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 02:05 PM
sean

Go to the zoo. One of the best zoo' in the nation.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 02:49 PM
Paul

Don't plan on hiking at the top of the Tram in February. Bring your skis instead.
Acoma Pueblo is a nice half-day trip.

If its not too cold in town, you could play a round of golf instead of skiing. We have some nice golf courses.

Side trips to Bandalier N.M. or Chaco Historical Park are a few other ideas.
Paul

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 04:44 PM
pam

Go to Gertrude's for some incredible southweset jewelery. Enjoy!

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 06:01 AM
Taos

Drive to Taos.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 06:41 AM
J T Kirk

Check out Old Town. Sort of like a mini-Santa Fe. Several good restaurants there.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 08:02 AM
E.

Snake Museum!

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 12:47 PM
Glenda

I'm sure this is practically sacreligious to say, but we really liked Albuquerque more than Santa Fe because Santa Fe seems to be a very upscale tourist trap. Too expensive, too many people. Albuquerque is a real town. I would second the votes for Acoma, the zoo, the petroglyphs, the Pueblo Cultural Center, and the old town.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 12:58 PM
J Correa

I agree with you Glenda. I enjoyed Albuquerque more than Santa Fe. Santa Fe was more upscale and artsy, which is not what I enjoy. Albuquerque is more down to earth.