Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   What to do in 4 days in NYC with 3 teenagers! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/what-to-do-in-4-days-in-nyc-with-3-teenagers-408231/)

mcgouran Aug 5th, 2008 01:27 PM

What to do in 4 days in NYC with 3 teenagers!

I'm travelling to New York City for the first time with my 3 teenage daughters. I'm trying to get a short list of some "must see" things/places to do during our short visit. We're staying at the Holiday Inn at Madison Sq. Gardens. Any ideas are appreciated. Also what's the best/cheapest way to get to the hotel from La Guardia Airport. Thanks!

abram Aug 5th, 2008 01:39 PM

Best and cheapest are often mutually exclusive. For four people, I'd recommend a car service. We've had good luck with Carmel; others have recommended Dial 7.

Must sees depend on your interests--history, theater, art, nature? When we go to NYC, we try to pack in as much theater as we can--because that's what we love.

Non-theater things I've really liked include Ellis Island, the Tenement Museum, the Frick Museum, the Guggenheim Museum, Cloisters, Museum of Natural History, MoMA, Metropolitan Museum of Art, strolling Chinatown.

Centralparkgirl Aug 5th, 2008 01:51 PM

Teenagers would like to walk around Greenwich Village, the East Village or Soho as well as Chinatown.

I would definitely take a car service as mentioned above.

What do you all like to do? What are your expectations?

nytraveler Aug 5th, 2008 04:24 PM

If you have the budget try to get a reservation one evening at one of the trendy restaurants (but not Fri and Sat - and not before 9pm) and een if they don't see a celeb they will see people that look and dress like them.

Also, one evening have dinner at a sidewalk cafe either in the village or the upper west side. (The area you're staying in is quite dreary and has few places you would want to eat - so you'll want to spend the evenings in other areas.)

As to what to see/do - you need to tell us more about them.

I have stepdaughters who partly grew up in the city. They liked Tao (now standard but you still may see people), the Met, shopping and hanging in the Village, East Village and SoHo, interesting movies (one is a true film buff), MoMA, the ballet and almost any broadway or off show.

For tourists I would also definitely do Top of the Rock and the Staten Island ferry (to see SOL from a little distance and the incredible on skyline on the way back - the latter esp pretty after dark).

mcgouran Aug 7th, 2008 05:19 AM

Thanks for the help folks. The girls and I would love to see a show (Wicked) if possible and want to know how/where to get cheap tickets. Other than that, we didn't have any set plans - we love to walk and hope to see the Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty and Central Park. We're just trying to fill in the rest of the time with some interesting sights which are accessible by public transportation or foot. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Also, need to know of any cheap places to eat - we're on a limited budget - my girls love Italian. Thanks again for the help!

missypie Aug 7th, 2008 06:17 AM

I'd do Top of the Rock in lieu of the Empire State Building.

Do you/they watch any of the morning shows? It's fun to be outside at the Today Show (or whichever you watch) and see the folks in person, observe how the crew sets up, etc. The NBC studio tour is fun if you watch NBC shows (SNL, etc.)

Centralparkgirl Aug 7th, 2008 06:23 AM

To my knowledge, there are no discount seats for Wicked. But on playbill.com there are discounts for Legally Blonde, Hairspray, Avenue Q, Mamma Mia, etc. which they may enjoy. These tix can be bought in advance. For even cheaper tix, you can try for same day purchase at the TKTS booth

missypie Aug 7th, 2008 07:00 AM

Also try broadwaybox.com. (But Wicked is never on the list of shows for which discount tickets are available.) If it were me, I'd get discount tickets in advance to a show like Legally Blonde or Hairspray, then try to get tickets for Wicked at the TKTS booth. Note, however, that you must stand in line at the TKTS booth, which takes up time and it it's a quick trip, the time may be more valuable to you.

bethke14 Aug 7th, 2008 07:15 AM

Since its opening in 2003, Wicked has never shown up at TKTS or in an online discount and it is still playing to capacity crowds. Thus, the cheapest way to get tickets is to go through ticketmaster.

When are you going? Rent closes September 7, but it is worth seeing if you go prior to that date. Otherwise I agree, Hairspray and Legally Blonde would be great. Avenue Q and Spring Awakening are both a bit mature, but are still fabulous shows if you and your daughters are comfortable with the material. I think they might also enjoy Gypsy, as the singing and acting are beyond amazing for that show. I also really, really love In the Heights, but discount tickets are not available for it right now.

If they've never been before, a stroll through Times Square at night would be fun. Yes, it's crowded and bright and a tad tacky, but if you're not from New York, it's a sight to behold.

I did a Tenement Museum tour last time I was there, and it was great. Reserve tickets in advance online. Same goes for Top of the Rock and Ellis Island.

Enjoy!

GoTravel Aug 7th, 2008 07:21 AM

I think the double decker tour bus is great fun.

Greyline Tours offers the 48 hour all loop pass for $49 per person and the night time Brooklyn tour is wonderful.

If that is too much for your budget, grab the kids and hop on the Staten Island Ferry at dusk. Great views of the Statue of Liberty and watch downtown Manhattan and the Brooklyn Bridge light up at night.

HowardR Aug 7th, 2008 12:56 PM

Forget about any discount tickets for Wicked. They've never been offered and won't be for the foreseeable future.
I'd say that Legally Blonde and Hairspray would be good choices for teenage girls. Both are available at discounts. Check broadwaybox.com and playbill.com for the offers.