Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   What to do between Peoria and Indianapolis (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/what-to-do-between-peoria-and-indianapolis-404382/)

bellhouse Jul 30th, 2008 10:05 AM

What to do between Peoria and Indianapolis

My son and I finish a college tour at Bradley (Peoria) about noon on a Thursday, then drive to Indianapolis to spend the night and see Butler the next morning. I think it's only a 3 - 3 1/2 hour drive between the two, so I wondered if there are any state parks/historical attractions in-between the two places - or in Indianapolis (not shopping or Indy 500 stuff). My only plan for Indianapolis is dinner in Broad Ripple.

capxxx Jul 30th, 2008 10:41 AM

You should stop for lunch or dinner at the Beef House in Covington. The best steak dinner you will ever have, plus hot rolls with home-made apple butter. (Broad Ripple is nice enough, but the Beef House is really really good.)

Eagle Creek park is a city park (as big as a state park) on Eagle Creek reservoir -- you could hike or swim there.

It is also pleasant to do the Canal Walk in downtown Indy. Other things to visit in Indy: the museum of art, the outdoor sculpture garden at the museum of art (both very near to Butler), the zoo (very new and nice), the eiteljorg gallery. Holcomb Botanical Gardens are adjacent to the Butler campus and Broad Ripple.

The Central Canal Towpath is a nice walk that goes past the Museum of Art, Butler, and Broad Ripple.

Howzat?

dfr4848 Jul 30th, 2008 10:58 AM

Was thinking the same thing as cap. We've been going to the Beef House for decades when we visit the area and it's REALLY hard to beat. That's Covington, IN, just a few miles beyond the IL/IN state line. Just north of I 74 a couple hundred yards, so it's not out of the way.

Also agree with the Canal Walk and the zoo. Also check the NCAA Hall of Champions in the same river area; it's been closed for repairs and not sure when it's scheduled to reopen.

missypie Jul 30th, 2008 11:58 AM

I think you ought to squeeze in a visit to Illinois Wesleyan in Bloomington....it's well regarded. Or Illinois State or University of Illinios if you have an interest in large state schools.

Where is home? If you'll be driving back to Illinois, you should go the southern route and see the Lincoln sites in Springfield.

bellhouse Aug 1st, 2008 05:05 AM

Thanks all! The Beef House menu looks really good, but Brent really wants sushi or Indian. Maybe if we stop at Turkey Run or the other state park on the way and are driving through Covington at dinner time....I would like to get to Indianapolis, though, and check out one of the parks in the city - or the zoo. I don't know that I could get him to agree to an art museum. We just spent way to much time (for the boys) at the Huntington in Pasadena a couple weeks ago. We're flying into Bloomington (from Florida) and out of Indianapolis, so we won't be able to fit in Springfield - though I will have Brent check out Bloomington Wesleyan. He's dyslexic, so we're looking at schools with good academic support/writing centers.

capxxx Aug 1st, 2008 05:21 AM

Hmmm. The boy is coming from Florida to try the sushi in Indiana? Tell Brent not to get his hopes to high. Indian food is probably do-able in Broad Ripple.

Turkey Run is very nice. Take the trail that goes over the suspension bridge -- very cool.

dfr4848 Aug 1st, 2008 06:14 AM

Or the trail that climbs up/down 3 flights of ladders near waterfall - really fun.

BTW the Inn at Turkey Run has very good food as well (but not as good as the Beef House).

Are you checking out DePauw University in Greencastle, IN - just off I 74?. It was on our daughter's short list and we were very impressed with its academic support.

bellhouse Aug 4th, 2008 12:06 PM

Turkey Run sounds like a good idea - thanks. I had not heard of DePauw. I checked it out on line and it looked nice, plus the support sounded really good - only they didn't have a business adm degree, which Brent is considering along with economics (which they have).

cocontom Aug 4th, 2008 03:20 PM

There's a big cat sanctuary in the middle of nowhere between Terre Haute and Indy. I have not been there (I moved before I got to go), but have heard it's really cool. Their website is www.exoticfelinerescuecenter.org.

bellhouse Aug 7th, 2008 08:29 AM

At Turkey Run, the suspension bridge trail is listed as moderate. Does that mean it's easy enough to do in Teva-type water sandals, or do I need my hiking shoes. The one with the steps near the waterfall sounds like #3 which is rated rugged/very rugged. How rugged is that? It looks like we would go through Terre Haute to get to Indianapolis from Turkey Run, so I'm going to check out the big cat reserve on line - thanks for the suggestion.

bellhouse Aug 7th, 2008 08:35 AM

WE might be able to do the big cat reserve, depending on how much time we spend at Turkey Run. Thanks@!

dfr4848 Aug 7th, 2008 09:36 AM

bellhouse - the sandals should be fine. You'll see a lot of tennis shoes too. I wouldn't consider the trail with ladders all that rugged. I've seen plenty of grandparents on that trail. It can be damp/wet so shoes with some traction would be best.

If you decide to bypass the cat sanctuary, you could take 36 from just south of TR to Indy.

bellhouse Aug 7th, 2008 08:13 PM

I think the Tevas would do - they are fairly new and have just been worn for rafting. We're trying to keep it down to one "carry on" that you check at the gate, and the tevas would fit much better than tennis shoes. I just checked the Turkey Run map and see it's not as far south as I thought. Brent voted for more hiking time, so the cats will be another trip. Poor Brent - he was at boarding school in Vermont for two years and loved being outdoors - cross country in 20 degrees, camping in the winter, etc. - he's not happy with Fl weather.

bellhouse Aug 8th, 2008 04:44 AM

I meant to ask about how long to plan for the waterfall trail. I know how long it takes to walk that distance in Florida, but it's flat here - so easier walking and no vistas to stop and admire. Also, we're staying north of Butler University on Michigan (I think that's right), so we will need to get on 495 to go north and east. If we got to Indianapolis around 6 would rush hour, or the worst of it, be over?

dfr4848 Aug 8th, 2008 06:59 AM

I'd count on 45 min or so for the #3 trail. Sorry, but we haven't driven in Indy rush hour in a long time so my comments would be out of date.

capxxx Aug 8th, 2008 08:19 AM

I'd give it another half-hour (maybe till 6:30) for the traffic to die down.

cocontom Aug 8th, 2008 07:19 PM

Where are you staying? A few miles from Butler can be pretty sketchy.

TC Aug 9th, 2008 07:08 AM

<i>We might be able to do the big cat reserve, depending on how much time we spend at Turkey Run. Thanks@!</i>

These two places aren't near each other -- or even on the same highway. Check a map before you go.

japw82 Aug 9th, 2008 07:30 AM

Bellhouse,
Do let us know how your college tour turned out. Did you enjoy any of the recommended restaurants? How were the hotel accommodations in Peoria?

TC Aug 9th, 2008 08:27 AM

Let me be a bit more specific since I grew up in this area and made the trip many, many times.

From Peoria the easiest route to Indy is straight East on Interstate 74, which connects with 465 in Speedway. From there you would take 465 North just a bit to 38th Street, which is your access to Butler. (I actually think you can exit directly onto 38th from I-74 before you hit 465). If you come from Terre Haute into Indy on 70, you are much further south, down by the airport.

If you want to do Turkey Run, you could drop South off of 74 on State Hwy. 41 near Veedersburg to County 47. Go East to Turkey Run entrance.

Going East on State Hwy. 36 is a lot farther South than you need to be. The roads are mostly two lane making for slow driving through farm country.

Terre Haute is a long way South of Peoria, Turkey Run and Indianapolis. State 41 does go South as far as Terre Haute from Turkey Run, but its a long drive and not a great road.

Unless you just have scads of time to tour the state, I don't think trying to do Turkey Run and the Exotic Feline Rescue Center is a one day excursion.

In the neighborhood of Turkey Run you can pick up a map and do a driving tour of the famous Park County Covered Bridges. You can canoe, khayak or tube (depending on the weather) down Suger Creek which goes right through Turkey Run. You can hike the trails, get a picnic at the Turkey Run Inn or have lunch inside, you can also horseback ride. Depending on the time of year, you could visit maple sugar camps to learn about tapping trees and making maple syrup.

www.parkecounty.com

Not sure why you said no Indy 500 stuff, but since I-74 will connect with 465 at Speedway the Indy 500 Speedway Hall of Fame Museum is right there.

http://www.indy.com/venues/show/3018