What to do at 7am in Ft. Lauderdale/Miami

Jan 11th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

What to do at 7am in Ft. Lauderdale/Miami

We are taking a red eye to Ft. Lauderdale for a Spring Break cruise departing from Miami. We arrive at 5:30am and will be renting a car and dropping it off in Miami for a 5pm departure. By the time we get our luggage and car it will still only be 7am. What can we do that early in this area? We will have two boys 12 and 14.
Jan 11th, 2006, 10:12 AM

millie...You can probably board the ship between 12 and 1pm....We take redeye's from LA and get in early.If we rent a car we just go get some breakfast,hang out a bit,cruise around and head for the Pier.
Jan 11th, 2006, 10:16 AM
GoTravel

We boarded our ship at 10:30 AM for a cruise departing at 4PM and were on board sipping a cocktail by the pool by noon. It was like having an extra day on board.

I suggest breakfast and then driving to the rental place in Miami to catch a shuttle to the pier. Several of the rental agencies in Miami have shuttles to the Port of Miami.

If you are dead set on doing something, I suggest the Venetian Pool, Parrot Jungle, Zoo Miami, or the beach.

Jan 11th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I would love to go to the beach but fear we might get too Sandy. It's nice to know we might be able to board so early.
Jan 11th, 2006, 10:36 AM

It might not be open at 7, but the Parrot Jungle is very close to the Port of Miami. It's just opened in its new quarters, but the vegetation is growing nicely. It could be a good way to while away some time and the ride over there will give you a good perspective view of your ship. Alternately, you could hop over to South Beach, take a stroll on Lincoln Road, have some lunch and head to the ship.
Jan 11th, 2006, 10:44 AM
GoTravel

The News Cafe on South Beach would be a great place to have breakfast and parking on Ocean Drive would not be a problem at 7:30AM.

Jan 11th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. I will check out these suggestions. I forgot to ask for breakfast recommendations so I appreciate the suggestion.
Jan 11th, 2006, 12:32 PM

Even if you can board your ship that early, why do so when you can go out and explore one of the most interesting cities in the U.S. You say you'll have a car, so take a drive around South Beach. As mentioned, drive or take a stroll down Ocean Dr. and Lincoln Rd. Go to Little Havana. Check out Downtown. With that much time, you could even take a drive up the coast further to places like Boca Raton and Pompano Beach.
Jan 11th, 2006, 12:50 PM

I have a feeling that those two boys will be fast asleep on the back seat as soon as the doors shut. They will be a lot easier to get along with if you just drive around, look at the sights, and let them sleep.
Jan 11th, 2006, 01:26 PM

The absolutely, all-time greatest thing for two young boys would be a trip out 41 to the Everglades at the Shark Valley entrance.

You'll have to check and find out what time it opens. But there's a 2-hour tram ride through the park that costs about $12, and it's awesome.

There is even a restaurant right across from the entrance, though I'm not sure what time it opens.

Believe me: 20 years from now, they'll have forgotten the cruise. But not the gators alongside the road....
Jan 11th, 2006, 01:43 PM

What to do at 7am in Ft. Lauderdale/Miami ???

Sleep in.......8-)
Jan 11th, 2006, 02:32 PM

I would be VERY surprised if any cruise line would allow you to board a ship (which just arrived in port that morning) before noon so don't get your hopes up about boarding "that early." The boarding time should be clearly explained in your documents from the cruise line and is probably outlined in the brochure you already have or on the cruise line's website.
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:26 AM
GoTravel

Intrepid, we were at the Port of Miami between 10:30 and 11AM and were allowed to board even though our boarding time wasn't until 2PM.

Feb 17th, 2006, 10:11 AM

Well you could go down to the beachfront in Ft Luaderdale, find a place to park the car, and have breakfast in one of the sidewalk joints and watch the parade of people that come by...joggers, bikers, walkers, etc. and also just enjoy the view of the nice beach and ocean across the street.

Just remember to allow yourself plenty of time to get the car turned in and get checked into the ship. If you leave at 5 I would think about getting to dock by noonish to begin that process if not sooner.
Feb 17th, 2006, 10:39 AM

milliebz, I've been on 8 cruise's now. I've NEVER waited until boarding time to board. The cruise line (Royal Carb. anyway) always let passangers board much, much earlier than they advertise and trust me, you won't be the only one there early. In fact, if you wait until the "advertised time" you'll find yourself standing in line for a very long time!

I don't know if you have a long wait on your return flight but if you do, the Miami Airport has a hotel that has an outdoor pool on the top floor of the building. It is open to the public for a fee. Last time we were there, it was $8.00 per person and that included a towel, locker and use of the locker room/showers. It's a great place to hang out before a flight. They also offer food.
Feb 17th, 2006, 11:04 AM
GoTravel

jroberts, someone told me that the airport hotel is closed.

Did it open back up?

Feb 17th, 2006, 11:10 AM

Your kidding!!! I had not heard that. It's been 2 years since I've been to Miami. I always loved that late flight after a cruise. It was FORCED relaxation at the pool.
Feb 17th, 2006, 03:21 PM

The airport hotel is open but the pool and other amenities are under renovation. I second the suggestion to head out to the Everglades. If you don't want to spend 2 hours on the tram, there is also an entrance at Florida City where you can walk a boardwalk trail. Take the Florida Turnpike south to Florida City (about 30 min). The turnpike ends and you take a right turn at the big traffic light (there's a Shell station on the far right corner). Follow the road to the national park. Be sure to stop at Robert is Here fruitstand for a fresh milkshake.