Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What to bring from the Northeast for 3-year old who lives in Hawaii?

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 08:42 PM
Wanda

On the way to Lanai we will stop in Honolulu for couple days during which we will have a dinner in our friends' house. They have a girl who will be almost three. We would like to get something for a child but have no idea what would be a nice useful thing as our kids were this age very long ago. We won't be staying with them so I do not even know whether we suppose to bring a gift for them as well. What do you think?

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 08:55 PM
paul

Something from the Pennsylvania Dutch Area.

http://www.hexsigns.com/products2.cf...categoryid=sof

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 08:56 PM
paul

Add a t to the end of the link.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 09:29 PM
exYankee

Hard to say. It's been a long time since I had a three year old running around the house. Plus, from Honolulu one can get just about anything and everything...we have a Macy's to a Borders to a WalMart...and there's always Amazon.com! If anything, I guess, you could get her a doll. (I'll probably incite the ire of some feminist out there!). Amongst locals it is the custom to bring a gift. This goes back to the days of the ancient Hawaiians. Also, don't forget to remove your shoes before you enter their house or apartment. I mention this 'cause whenever I have friends visit from the mainland, they almost always come in with their shoes and I have to embarrassingly ask them to remove 'em.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 10:39 PM
lcuy

My girls loved costumes at that age...a ballerina leotard, a cowboy skirt & vest, , and a tiger suit were very sucessful gifts at age three. I recently sent a plastic tiara and glittery slippers to my 3 yr old niece and she loved them. A plastic handbag with some snack crackers, hair ornaments, coloring book, or stickers is another, less expensive gift that is fun. For the hosts, a bottle of local wine or maybe some jelly or candy from your home town is good.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 03:55 AM
sss

It is not like you are going to Fiji, Honolulu is as modern as NYC and more international than many northeast places. Just saying that before I went I had a different image in my head of what to expect. It is not just us in the mainland US either, I had a friend from England that came and expected there would be a language problem LOL. I never let her forget that.

If the child was older (five)(boy) than the answer is easy Yankees stuff. A three year old I would be seeing what the parents need. I have a good friend who is a parent on Oahu also. I like taking stuff from Europe. Baby was born I got her a Baby Bjorn carrier.

Much of the chocolate that goes into Hawaii has paraffin in it giving it a waxy taste. So I think Swiss or Belgian chocolates are nice (for friend), just pack them right (something to protect against heat once you land). On Fifth Avenue in NYC you can buy hand made chocolates with fillings flown in from Belgium. Fuochan is a cool French store also. If you are really game European chesses like guda goat cheese is yummy and unusual. If your friend has ancestry in Europe I always like to bring something that connects them with that. My friend on Oahu is Irish and sees very little of this. When she got married I sent her Royal Tara plates from Ireland. You can buy them in Irish gift shops but I found a deal on the net. A big thrill for her never ever seeing the amount of Irish paraphernalia (sp) we do here in NYC. I know these are parent gifts not three year old but I was trying to convey a concept not a gift.

That is my suggestion something from Europe that sells here in the NE.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 04:03 AM
sss

somthing from Africa or Latin America if your friend has ancestry there. We do see more of this stuff than Hawaii does. Asia well you know Hawaii has a beat there.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 07:19 AM
qantas

to SSS - yes, everyone around the world wants Yankees stuff. How about Red Sox, or Phillies, or Pirates, or Orioles stuff?

Now, the question was what to get a three year old GIRL. I have a daughter that age, and she loves snow globes. How about a snow globe featuring some element of your city or region (the White House, Statue of Liberty, Plymouth Rock, Independence Hall, etc)? It certainly is something she wouldn't be able to get at the local Wal-Mart.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 08:53 AM
Vermonter

How about maple sugar candy from Vermont?

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 12:58 PM
tk

Hope about local children's books such as Boston's "Make way for the Ducklings"

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 05:26 PM
Frank

What is a snow globe? Sounds great and I would like to get it for my niece. Thanks

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 05:45 PM
Ellen

Maple syrup, a Sno-cone maker, and a story book about kids living in New England in the winter.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 04:42 AM
Donna F

A storybook is a great idea. Another suggestion might be a stuffed animal puppet esp if it went along with the story such as a squirrel or racoon.