What sights for 10 and 12 year olds around Delray Beach, FL

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Delray in July with a 10 and 12 year old. One has expressed interest in the Everglades. I know it will be extremely hot and humid and probably have a lot of mosquitos in the Everglades that time of year. Any suggestions how to make this a pleasant activity? Also, wthat else is there to do (besides ocean and pool) in the surrounding area of Delray Beach, FL?
Old Jun 24th, 2011, 12:54 PM

There is a fishing pier in Delray Beach - they even rent fishing equipment, but it is a nice walk out to the end to watch people fishing, always surfers on either side, lots of pelicans - there is a minimal charge to get out on the pier.

There is a Japanese Garden in Delray (morikami.org) - and don't discard the idea immediately. Incredible plantings - and a large pond that periodically is invaded by gators that they have to try to lure out.

In West Palm Beach there is a place called Lion Country Safari - have not been in years, so do some research. It is an enormous drive-thru habitat for primarily African animals - they roam free and you stay in your car. We saw animals quite close to car. At the end there is a smallish caged-animal area that sometimes has interesting demonstrations.
Old Jun 25th, 2011, 06:52 AM

Stuff near the beach in Delray: Delray Beach Water Sports offers all kinds of stuff to do and it is located right on the beach, north end of beach. Stuff like kayaking, paddle boarding, surf boards, etc.

Shark feeding at the Sandoway House is always exciting to watch. Sandoway also offers a museum-like atmosphere for kids. I think feeding the sharks takes place daily. More info here: http://www.i-love-delray-beach.com/s...artifacts.html

Lion Country Safari is a drive-through wild safari type of place enjoyed by all ages! ;-)

Rent bikes or Segways on Atlantic Avenue in Delray. Segways are a BLAST! And a great way to tour the town.

Green Caye Nature Center and Wetlands is a great place to see Florid's wildlife. There is a nice boardwalk of approx. 1.5 miles long that you follow through the park. This is educational and FREE! Plenty of parking. More info here: http://www.pbcgov.com/parks/locations/greencay.htm

And if you're looking for beach-fun items, there is a great store near the beach on Atlantic Avenue called Beach Planet. They have the best things for the sand, the beach, the pool, etc. everything from toys to clothes and all reasonably priced.

We enjoy the beach everyday on our vacations and it never gets old! ;-)

Enjoy yourself.

Danika Dahl
More Delray Beach fun here -->> http://www.i-love-delray-beach.com/D...each-blog.html
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Danika-

Thank you so much. I will print out this page and bring it with me. I've been to Green Caye and Wakodahatchee and I love it there - but needed something more for my grandkids. I even found a discount coupon for the Lion Safari.
Thanks again!

Gail - Where exactly is the fishing pier?

Thanks, again.
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 06:52 PM

Butterfly World is also great - on Sample Road - a bit north of Fort Laudedale - worth the trip to see the variety of birds, animals and butterflies, of course.