What shows have you seen in Vegas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got back from Vegas and was able to squeeze three shows into a three night stay. I'm exhausted and overstimulied, but it was worth it. I saw Jersey Boys, KA, and LOVE. They were all amazing and would recommened them highly.

With Vegas becoming more and more of a theater destination, my question to you is, how many shows do you see when you go to Vegas? Do you see 1 a night or do you try to squeeze in two? What would you recommend people see?
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 01:29 PM

I try to see at least 2 shows when there for 4-6 days. I've seen Celine,Love and Danny Gantz. I recommend all, Celine gone. Going in Sept., will be interested to see replys.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 04:19 PM

linda, I believe it is Danny Gans, and yes, I whole heartedly agree with your recommendation of his show.

Old Apr 14th, 2008, 04:29 PM

Fab Four Mania!
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 07:24 PM

Danny Gans one of the best shows in Vegas, if not the best!
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 03:40 AM

We've seen and enjoyed:

Mystere (3x)
LOVE (2x)
"O" (2x)
KA
Phantom of the Opera
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 05:20 AM

Hi AlexisK, we saw Mystere, O twice, Elton John, Stomp. Usually only see only one per stay. I would recommend all in that order.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 07:23 AM

We've seen Danny Gans,"O", Penn and Teller and Spamalot. We were lucky enough one year to see Counting Crows (one performance) at the Palms. We only go to one show per visit.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 07:34 AM

While I love seeing the Cirque and similar shows, I don't like paying those huge prices for the "Broadway" musicals. All of them (that I am aware of) have been shortened and/or watered down. I'd rather see them full scale and full length in New York. Sure, they may still be fun, but I'm not big on seeing an "abbreviated" Phantom or Mama Mia.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Actually, Jersey Boys is full length---I believe it may be the only Broadway show that is. I haven't seen it in NYC, but I was blown away by the Vegas show. i would recommened it to anyone.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

So Danny Gans is that good? I don't know why it surprises me. We give the show a "highly recommended" rating and when I was at the Mirage, I got caught up in the crowd streaming out after the show. What is so great about the show? I will put him on my list for the next trip.

Another question for you, for first timers, do you think theater is the way to go or do you think its all about Cirque?

Also,
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 07:58 AM

That's interesting about Jersey Boys, Alexis. I know that in New York the show lasts a full 2 and a half hours. Actually, counting curtain calls the doors don't open to let you out until after that. On Broadway you'll see the audience just starting to come out about 2 hours and 40 minutes after curtain time. When I saw that they do two performances a night in Vegas spaced only 3 hours apart, I couldn't imagine that they actually empty the theatre completely, clean it, and then reseat the entire place in less than a half hour. So I assumed like the others it had been shortened. No?

But to answer your original question, we generally do only one real show per day in Vegas, usually adding some lounge act or one or more of the "free shows" as well. I don't think I've ever spent a night in Vegas without seeing a show that night though.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 08:36 AM

hmmm. I emailed Jersey Boys in Vegas and asked, because your comments had me curious, Alexis, if they really are doing a full length version of a Broadway show, which would be a first to my knowledge.

While the Broadway version runs 2 and a half hours including a 15 minute intermission, the email from Vegas says "Jersey Boys runs 2 hours and 10 minutes including a 20 minute pause" (I thought pause instead of intermission was a funny term). But in any case I'm not sure what happens to the missing 25 minutes?
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 11:28 AM

Ka was just okay to me, it wasn't fantastic or so great i would want to see it again. we did one show for a 3 night stay. the question i would pose to others is what shows did you think were so good you would like to see them again?
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 11:37 AM

We saw Jersey Boys on Broadway twice. A magnificent show. One of the very best we've ever seen.

I can think of 5-10 minutes of dialog here and there where the scenes dragged on just a bit too long.

My understanding is that this theater is being custom-built for this show. In the Broadway production, cast members moved scenery and furniture (with the lights out) between many scenes. I would guess, with hi-tech staging, some time will be saved with that as well.

This is one of those few Broadway shows with a really interesting "book" (as opposed to a bit of dialog or silly story line to "connect the song/dance numbers".
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 11:42 AM

In Las Vegas last month, we saw Bette Midler and Cirque du Soleil's "Mystere". Both were magnificent. We also enjoyed the "Coasters/Platters/Marvalettes". Should have skipped Trent Carlini (winner of "America's Next Best Thing" for "Elvis").

We also stumbled across a lot of terrific free entertainment in the cocktail lounges all over. Especially enjoyed the "Soul" groups at the Venetian and the cabaret acts at Bally's.

Then, there was "Big Elvis" at Bill's. Amazing!

Danny Gans was on vacation during our visit. And, we'd love to see Spamalot. Imagine John O'Hurley is terrific.

We don't gamble, so had show tickets every night. Curiously, just like everywhere else, wish the nicer restaurants open only for dinner started serving a bit earlier or until a bit later to make it easier to plan a nice dinner and show on the same night without rushing.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 12:01 PM

There's only one true legend that still plays Vegas: TOM JONES!
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 03:42 PM

Tom Jones - I had enough of him in 7th grade.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 06:05 PM

Alexis, I saw LOVE a few months ago and will see it every time I go until it is no longer there! Loved it!!!

I also saw Carrot Top, which I have to say was a pretty funny show. And I always love Blue Man Group.

I want to see Penn&Teller and Spamalot next time 'round.

But LOVED LOVE!!!
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

What a great question atlantan123! As I usually only see a show once, I would love to know what people liked so much that they saw it again. Although, I would have to agree with sarge56. I loved LOVE too and def would see that again. There was so much going on that I think if you sat in each of the four sections once you'd see a completely different show each time.

I think I'll see O, Mystere, and Danny Gans on my next trip. and maybe Bette if i can squeeze it all in. I would LOVE to see her!!!

djkbooks: was the Divine Miss M divine?

Has anyone seen one of the magicians? Mac King is supposed to be awesome---we give him top marks in our guide. Another bonus, his shows are in the afternoon (and are reasonablly priced) so you could see one of his shows, go for dinner, and then see a show at night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -