Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   What shouldn't be missed from Bandon Oregon to Cannon Beach (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/what-shouldnt-be-missed-from-bandon-oregon-to-cannon-beach-714644/)

zztopz Jun 20th, 2007 08:51 AM

What shouldn't be missed from Bandon Oregon to Cannon Beach

We leave in 2 weeks for our trip. What should not be missed between Bandon Oregon and Cannon Beach. We're spending one night in Bandon, one night in Depoe Bay, and 2 in Cannon Beach. Sights, scenic drives, good food- anything that you love! Thanks.

beachbum Jun 20th, 2007 09:42 AM

Well first, if you're golfers, even if you can't play, don't miss having a drink in the main lodge bar at Bandon Dunes, overlooking the 18th green. Or, if you're photographers, the Coquille River Lighthouse, across the river from town, is worth a visit.

Between Bandon and the Oregon Dunes, just south of Florence, the drive along US 101 is mostly inland, so, you'll see some nice scenery, but won't be too tempted to stop. So don't. You'll need to save time for the stretch between Oregon Dunes - which themselves are worth a stop - and Depoe Bay for Haceta Head Lighthouse (don't miss the viewpoint turnout a half-mile before), Cape Perpetua, Yaquina Head Lighthouse, and the Newport waterfront.

Heading north from Depoe Bay, stop at the Otis Cafe for breakfast, then try and squeeze in a short hike out Cascade Head. The view south from there is one of my favorites on the coast. Somewhere along the way you should find time to walk a beach. So take the short walk through the rainforest to Short Sands at Oswald West State Park, about 10 miles south of Cannon Beach. I might even recommend that over Three Capes Scenic Loop, which is also great. But hey, seen one rugged dramatic coastline, seen them all, right! ;-)

Spend the day in Cannon Beach just relaxing: on the beach, strolling through town, and up at Ecola St. Park. Take the drive, or hike into Indian Beach while there. If the tide's right, there are nice tidepools around the rocks at the south end. Try Gower St. Bistro for one of your Cannon Beach dinners (or lunches). It shares a building with Cannon Beach Hotel. They make the best chowder on the planet. The Wayfarer next door has probably the widest selection of seafood in town, and is one of the two restaurants with any kind of view. If the weather's nice, go there. Or even if not.

Have a great trip.

happytrailstoyou Jun 20th, 2007 11:07 AM

There is so much to see that it is impossible to list everything.

At the top I would put Cape Perpetua scenic area, the aquarium in Newport, and the Sea Lion Caves (if sea lions are in residence), but there are many other highlights.

If you are a member of AAA, request the d maps for the Oregon Coast--there is one for the north and one for the south.

sunbum1944 Jun 20th, 2007 11:54 AM

Just south of Florence there is a place where you can take a dune buggy ride on the sand dunes- its very fun- there are a couple of options of which ride to do- we did the one in a small dune buggy with a driver.

http://www.sandland.com/

If you want to walk on the dunes you can stop at Honeyman State Park - or drive out to the South Jetty - watch for signs.

North of Florence you should stop at Devils Elbow State Park- my favorite beach. You can walk up to the Heceta Head lighthouse ( one of the most photographed in the US) and the inn keepers house ( now a B & B)

There are picnic tables and grills there if you want to have a picnic.

If its a nice day I like to eat at Travellers Cove in Florence because they have an outside deck overlooking the river. The food is pretty good in my opinion- not gourmet of course- but not bad.
Old Town Florence is fun to walk around in- several cute stores.

In Depoe Bay you might try Tidal Waves Restaurant -

Have fun

Bobmrg Jun 20th, 2007 02:47 PM

I don't know how the timing would work out for your trip, but we never pass up the Bandon Bakery, straight ahead under the "Old Bandon" arch. Best in the morning, of course.

jannieween Jun 21st, 2007 01:04 AM

marking