Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   What should we do in La Jolla before we have dinner at George's? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/what-should-we-do-in-la-jolla-before-we-have-dinner-at-georges-632678/)

Jayneann Jul 21st, 2006 03:26 AM

What should we do in La Jolla before we have dinner at George's?

Hi,
Our dinner reservation for the Ocean Terrace at George's on the Cove is at 5:45 on a Thursday, so we can have a leisurely meal while watching the sunset. I think sunset is at 7:39.

My question is, what should we do before dinner while in La Jolla? It probably will be our only time there since we we are staying at the Pacific Terrace in SD and want to visit other areas too! Thanks :)

madameX Jul 21st, 2006 05:41 AM

George's is right in the center of the village, so much depends on how much time you want to allow for pre-dinner activites. I also assume that you'll be nicely dressed for dinner, i.e. not up for a full beach day, where you'd need a lot of clean-up before dinner?

In-town:

1. There is a lovely coast walk that goes by a few pocket beaches. One beach usually has seals in residence.

2. There is a modern art museum right in town -- an easy walk. Check to make sure that it is open when you'll be in LaJolla.

3. Lots of shops.

Slightly out of town, but an easy drive:

1. A wonderful aquarium (just to the north.)

ltt Jul 21st, 2006 06:25 AM

on your way there, you could go to the top of black's beach to see if three are any hang gliders going that day. sort of nice to watch. there is also a residential area very close by that has some awfully nice homes if you like driving around and looking at homes. it's up by ucsd.

saps Jul 21st, 2006 06:51 AM

If you take ltt's advice just don't look at the beach (Black's is a nude beach...mainly older men) :d.

Go to La Jolla village early and walk around the cove and cliffs. At the northern end there is a small (I mean small) beach where folks scuba and at the southern end you can go to Children's Pool which is a small beach that has seals hanging out and a walking path out onto a wave break.

LJ (on and around Prospect St) is filled with art shops, high end clothing, and restaurants. Window shop. Pop into a hotel or restaurant for a pre dinner drink (La Valencia, Crab Catcher).

Have fun.

Heavens Jul 21st, 2006 06:52 AM

I would just stroll around the village. Lots of shops, people strolling around, a good walking area. You can also walk down to seal beach that isn't too far down the way, I don't think. You walk down to the cove and south about a block? Is that right? It is fun to sit on a bench and watch the seals.

Barbara Jul 21st, 2006 07:13 AM

If your reservation is at 5:45, it's quite likely that you will be gone before sunset. I would try to move it up to about 6:30 if you can.

TahitiTams Jul 21st, 2006 07:37 AM

Hi Jayneann..
Since George's is in the heart of the village and they do have Valet which is a must unless you won the lottery and find a parking spot, I would do that and either you can straight into George's and have drinks, app's and then dinner you could milk it all the way till sunset, if not the Marine Room for drinks before or after is the perfect place to start or end a meal..
ljbtc.com
Also, the top of the Hotel La Jolla has an awesome view of LJ Shores and it used to be called Elario's but I believe they changed there name to Clay's.. hotellajolla.com
I love La Valencia for drinks by the big window overlooking the park/cove and they usually have a pianist playing with cocktail service after sunset..
lavalencia.com
Have fun you will love George's and sitting on the terrace is wonderful and the food is outstanding with Trey Foshee as their chef and he rocks..
Just strolling before or after the meal around town is good too..
Having a 2 hour dinner is reasonable so you might be able to coast all the way to sunset..

Jayneann Jul 21st, 2006 01:08 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone!!! Yes, we will be "dressed up" so village shopping and walking around the cove and cliffs sound perfect!

Barbara,
Reservations are 5:45, 6:45, 7:45 etc, and I thought 6:45 might be risky, especially since I requested an edge table.

TahitiTams,
You are right, we certainly plan to spend 2 hours there, cocktails, appetizers, dinner, dessert......... Don't want to miss the sunset!!! Can we valet park first, then leave our car there while we walk around?

Saps,
Thanks for the heads up!! =-O

saps Jul 21st, 2006 01:23 PM

5:45 is fine. Enjoy a leisurely dinner. I always eat too fast :d. When we want a nice long dinner we always order the main course after we are done with an appetizer (not during or before). You will enjoy George's. I love it!

You can valet right in front and there is just one price whether it is 1 hour or 5 hours. I think it is $7.

Jayneann Jul 21st, 2006 04:35 PM

Thanks Saps! I can't wait to go!!!

Alisa Jul 21st, 2006 04:45 PM

Walk to Baby Beach and see the seals. I was there two weeks ago and was mesmerized by the little baby seals.

Barbara Jul 21st, 2006 05:18 PM

The seals are at the Children's Pool.

I was at George's for lunch today. Sooo good. Their's is the only soup you'll see me eating when the weather is so hot!

Valet parking is, indeed, $7. If you happen to be there till after the valet park closes, they bring your car to the front and leave the keys with the bartender. This I know from experience!

TahitiTams Jul 21st, 2006 05:27 PM

Yummy Barbara..What did you have?
As far as walking to see the seals at Childrens Pool from George's in your high heels and all gussied up will put quite a sweat on your brow and you want to be fresh and relaxed to dine at George's..
I would maybe stroll to La V and cruise the Hotel or go the other way to the Crab Catcher area called Coast Walk and look at the shops and galleries..
It has been so hot and humid here that I would want a cocktail immediately and sit my butt down and be waited on..
:))

Barbara Jul 21st, 2006 06:13 PM

TT, soup (of course, I can't not have that!), then I had fish tacos, my mum had the special, sea bass and my son, who also loves the soup, had the steak sandwich. All of it was fabulous, of course. I've never had the fish tacos before and they are the best anywhere.

Barbara Jul 21st, 2006 06:14 PM

Jayneann, stroll to Trattoria Aqua, sit in their cute bar and have one of their Bellini's (than another one!)

Jayneann Jul 21st, 2006 07:08 PM

Hmmmm, which lounge for a cocktail.......
La Valencia, Hotel La Jolla, or Trattoria Aqua? Their websites all look fabulous!!

BTW, how far of a walk is it to the Children's Pool from George's? This really might be the only chance we have to see the seals.

Thanks for all your help!!! Cheers!
((D))

TahitiTams Jul 21st, 2006 07:32 PM

Hi Jayneann..
Why don't you take the car on the way there and go along the coastline and see the seals because it is about a good 5-7 block hike and if it was cooler and you were wearing flats and it was lunch would be different..
Take LJ Blvd to Camino de la Costa for the scenic route and I have a map link of LJ and Seal Beach/Children's Pool is just right of Wipeout Beach and George's is right where the S is on Prospect street to the right of the Cove..
lajolla.com
Go to the map and click on the cove area..
For a cocktail I would do the Marine Room..it is an experience that you will never forget..

saps Jul 21st, 2006 09:17 PM

I know this is in the fine details...

I do think that TT is a SD & La Jolla expert but I can't believe she is saying to drive to Children's Pool. First, it is at most a 10 minute beautiful walk from George's. Second, parking is awful down by the pool so you'll end up walking 10 minutes from your car.

Valet park, walk down the 1 block hill to the cove, and stroll a few blocks along the cliffs (south) until you reach the pool.

The pool is lit up at night so after dinner it is fun too (sometimes a bit breezy & cool).

The Marine Room is fantastic. It is not however walking distance (well, in dinner attire) from La Jolla Village. It is in between La Jolla Village and La Jolla Shores. http://www.ljbtc.com

TahitiTams Jul 21st, 2006 09:27 PM

Hi saps..
The only reason I say to drive is that they are all dressed up and walking about 15-20 minutes each way in hot, humid weather and you are about to have a nice dinner and you have to trek up that baby mountain to La V from Coast Blvd is not something I wish on anyone who has heels..
That is why I said it would be better served before in the car or after to see the seals, so you are not such a sweaty betty when you arrive for your dinner..
I take it they have a car since they asked about valet and the seals and the Marine Room are minutes away by car and not usually a problem to park..
I live 2 blocks from the seals and I know the walk very well in heels :(
and with sneakers..
It's deceiving..
Best..

Barbara Jul 21st, 2006 10:59 PM

I have to agree with TT here. It's not usually all that difficult to find a space close to the Children's Pool. At least you're walking on flat ground. Personally, I'd skip it altogether.