Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What's Your Poison and When Was Your Last Trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been shamed into staring the poison thread by kopp and Faina. After a very long week I could certainly use some poison, but don't have any on hand. So, if someone would like to bring me a bottle of nice wine, I would greatly appreciate it. The store by my house is closed and I'm too darned whooped to walk anywhere else to get any.

You would think my week wouldn't have been so long considering it was a short one. DH and I just had to change rocks for a few days so we spent some R&R time on the charming island of Saba this past weekend. It sure is nice to go on vacation when it's only a fifteen-minute trip. Five to the airport, and ten for the flight.

We met up with friends we know there, had nice lunches out, spent a fabulous evening at the famed Gate House Restaurant (I had some really good, expensive poison there), and otherwise relaxed, read and enjoyed the tranquil atmosphere on the terrace of our little cottage in the clouds. Nothing beats sitting in the clouds in the cool temps on an otherwise usually hot Caribbean August afternoon. The rainbows we saw dipping into the ocean on occassion only added to the pleasure.

Here are a couple of pics if anyone cares to see.

http://tinyurl.com/lublo

http://tinyurl.com/lttk8

www.sabatourism.com

So, what is your poison and tell us about your last trip!
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 03:17 PM

My poison is iced coffee since I have to drive ds to baseball practice in a few minutes.

My last big trip was in May to see my dad in California; we spent a couple of days in San Francisco and Monterey while there.

I did a day trip a few weeks ago - met with an Internet friend in Santa Fe and drove with her to Taos to shop and have lunch.

Lee Ann
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 03:23 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
my usual, a bottle of white wine

just got back Tuesday from a week visiting friends in the incredibly gorgeous state of Vermont

Old Aug 25th, 2006, 03:30 PM

"Nothing beats sitting in the clouds in the cool temps.." - NO FAIR! It's hotter'n blazes over here in Austin, almost 100 at 6:25 pm. No wonder I go away for the summer.

Already finished off one bottle. Where's that extra one I stored before I left? Gone. Guess DD had fun while we were away, lol!

Just returned Tuesday night from a wonderful six-week trip to Prague, Dresden, Berlin, and 3 weeks in the Swiss alps. Living room is still filled with trip stuff, DH is sorting thru over 10,000 photos on his computer. Definite withdrawal going on.

Happy weekend!
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 03:36 PM

Bottle of Cab, 5 days in the bottle. Can't stand to let it age.

We're having a GoTravel Friday evening as wifey has to go to work early Sat morning.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 03:45 PM

Just water for me. It's only 1:30 here in Honolulu. And no poison tonight, since I'll be overloaded on poison at tomorrow's GTG!!

My last trip was in June, to Washington DC. It was sooo hot. I had not been there in about 10 years, and never really had a desire to return. I don't know why, but ... as interesting as the city is, I just can't get passionate about it. I did, however, have a great time GTG'ing with Monica P. in nearby Frederick. In the evenings, the fireflies come out--my first time seeing fireflies!--and the air is so quiet, like on Molokai. I would love to go back and bop around the area to check out the markets and stuff.

http://worldisround.com/articles/303294/index.html

My NEXT trip will be to Chicago, and then Paris. I told my boss that it's because Paris is on the way home to Hawaii!
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 03:48 PM

Nothing to drink but water until I get home---I'm biking home from work! Then it will be Campari and soda for my husband, and I'll have a glass of the white Bordeaux I put to chill this morning. He and our daughter are heading off early in the moring for New York, where they plan to attend some matches at the U.S. Open---in the rain, I fear. I'll stay home with the pup.

But a week ago I was in Yosemite---that was the last trip. Two glorious weeks in the mountains, hiking almost every day. First the Wasatch Mountains of Utah, where we stayed in a luxury condo at Snowbird. Then a drive across the salt flats and Nevada to Yosemite, where we camped out most nights. Our hike included a 17.6 mile roundtrip day hike up to Half Dome from the valley. We ran part of the way down so we wouldn't miss dinner (and the wine).
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 03:48 PM

My poison tonight is a bottle of Estancia Pinot Noir; my last trip was to Aspen, CO two weeks ago...where temps were at least 20-50 degrees cooler than they are here!

Beautiful pictures, Statia!
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 03:54 PM

Just came home with arms full of flowers to a VERY clean house(thank god for housecleaners). I am having a glass of Eric Kent Chardonnay. Our last trip was a weekend getaway to Healdsburg wine country. Our next rip 9/20 is to Montreal and Quebec City(since you asked and I am so ready for that one!!!)
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 03:56 PM
lvk

Hi Statia,

Glad to see this thread back. I can relate to the exhausting week, and Kopp's withdrawals. We returned Sunday night from our nearly 3-week Germany/Italy Trip, and I'm still playing catch up and getting used to PST. I posted some photos @ http://tinyurl.com/gkb7t , but haven't had time for a report yet.

My neighbor just invited me over for Mojitos, so that's what my poison will be tonight. What's so funny about this is that I bought her one of these as a gift from Germany: http://tinyurl.com/haled , and I am going to give it to her tonight. I know it looks kind of phallic, but it is for mashing the mint leaves for your caipirinhas or mojitos. I saw it and thought of her immediately.

Hope everyone has a nice weekend.

Old Aug 25th, 2006, 03:57 PM

Clean house AND flowers? Can I spend the weekend with you, Pam?
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 03:59 PM
lvk

That should be PDT, Pacific Daylight Time. I told you I was tired!
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 04:00 PM

Singha (Thai beer). I'm a happy girl.

N GA and NC mountains. I survived a spill on the last rapid on the Nantahala. I'm a VERY happy girl!
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 04:03 PM

No poison, unless you count pizza, lol.

Last trip...a midweek get-away to Spring Lake, NJ for some R&R on the beach.

Nice pictures Statia -- 15 minutes travel time?? Not bad, not bad at all.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 04:06 PM

Statia, I've never heard of Saba but it looks charming. I love rainbows!

My poison is champagne and my last OOC (out of country) was London in April. Stayed in apartment in Marleybone courtesy of US gov't...friend of TC works there. It was a good trip. And I saw a rainbow. I have seen one in Venice, Paris and St. Johns (and London) within the last 15 months! A good travel omen I like to think
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 04:10 PM

Whoops....St. John. It's the champagne
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 04:18 PM

My poison tonight is chocolate milk and Sex and the City re-runs

We just returned home last weekend from 2 weeks in Maui and Kauai. We were also lucky enough this summer to travel to Anguilla and Seattle.

But, DH is now back at work and I will be on Sept. 5. Time to start planning next year's trips!
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 04:29 PM

I am drinking a very nice NC Shelton Vineyards Chardonnay after a brutal week at work.

DH just returned home from the grocery store with the fixin's for breakfast in the morning. He has already told me that he will leave my breakfast on the stove. He is going out early to the local home improvement store and run errands. I, on the other hand, will sleep as late as I please and then take my time reading the Saturday paper and drinking coffee which he prepared before he left.

Am I a lucky girl or what?

Old Aug 25th, 2006, 04:31 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm stuck in a dorm room in Cambridge - no food or wine. If I leave to forage for food, I'll lose my parking place.

Fainia - Send that blood! Kal doesn't need it!
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 04:31 PM

No poison tonight. Waiting for DH to come in from work and idling while I chat awhile! ;-)

Last trip, BI and Oahu.

Next trip, Yellowstone in Sept.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -