Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What's Your Poison & What's the Strangest Place You've Ever Traveled To?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2005, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chilean Chardonnay for me tonight. I'm finishing up what I have in anticipation of Venetian vinos next week.

I really haven't thought that any place I've traveled to was actually "strange." Of course, strange to one person might be completely intriguing to another. If I had to pick somewhere that seemed strange I guess Jerome, Arizona would suffice. I love the town and found it quite unique (sliding jail and all). The way the town was built gave it so much character.

So, what's your poison tonight and where have you traveled that you found strange, even if other's didn't?

PS - I asked poster "ReasonStatiasSoHappy" (my DH) this question and he replied "where we live."
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 02:50 PM

Aloha Statia,

Poland Spring Sparkling Water. I think the stangest place was just down the street from Jerome...the Flintstone Park outside of GC. Is it still there? Have a fabulous night!!!
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 02:57 PM

Mineral water while soaking the week away in the hot tub.

Even though I really loved it and had a great trip there, I'd say that Alaska was a pretty strange place to visit. Everything seemed slightly "off", askew or alien somehow.

Have a great weekend!

-Bill
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 03:07 PM

Haven't chosen the wine yet.

Whitehorse in the Yukon Territory in November. A beautiful drive from Haines, AK on the Alcan - great snowpack road conditions - but through eerie silence on an almost deserted highway - and then wind whistling through the hotel room's door.

"Strange" as in very different from anything else I had ever experienced.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 03:15 PM

A really great Chilean Merlot .....DANG!!! It`s finished , oh yeah , opened the Friday night wine Thursday !! For the other , uuuuuhh .... let meee thiiink ... Well , I don`t think it`s actually so strange , but no-one except Fodorites and a Canada World Youth worker had ever heard of it !! Port Antonio , Jamaica .`Everyone , absolutely everyone else says Where..(sorry people , can;t put the question mark in , my hubby is French Canadian and was obviously composing a letter in French today , and did not switch it back ..)
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 03:28 PM

Just kicking back, having a Bud, waiting for the GTG tomorrow. Whassup
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Enjoy the GTG, Budman! Do me a favor....give Trish a big hug from Statia. I will make it to one of those GTG's one of these days.

gyppielou, your post made me and DH laugh. We still see those Flintsone parks in our travels in rural USA on occassion.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 03:41 PM

My poison? Espreso made on my new Nespresso machine.
Crossing the Western border into Afghanistan in 1971. The building reeked of hashish. The border partrol guy asked if we wanted to smoke some, then grinned and said--as if psychically guessing at this future Fodors question--"We are strrraaaannnggge in Afghanistan."
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 03:57 PM
Kal

E-merGency and ice water...with a AirBorne back...still trying to get rid of the darn cold I brought back from Hartford CT.

Strangest place was traveling 3 miles from my small city over to the big city for my first dinner at Mrs Kal's house with all of her family when we first started dating in 1974.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 04:05 PM

Sorry Statia, Espreso? ahhhh!
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 04:36 PM

A cup of Mariage Frères Casablanca tea is in my near future. Love it!

As far as the strangest place I've ever visited... We decided we would do a spontaneous road trip on a high traffic weekend. The closest hotel to the beach was in Clute, Texas. You may say "Hey, isn't Clute home of the MOSQUITO FESTIVAL ?" And of course, I'd have to tell you yes! A vivid memory from dinner - I swear our waitress was dipping while working. Let's just say, we spent the night in our lousy hotel and left quickly the next morning!
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

moldy... Being a native Houstonian, you could say I've been to Clute myself.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 05:21 PM
P_M

Cabernet Sauvignon and Swiss Gouda cheese. Yes, I know, Gouda usually comes from the Netherlands, but I have found a Swiss version that I like a lot more.

The strangest place I ever went was the airport in Manaus, Brazil. Back in 1988 my beloved, late grandmother took me on a cruise that began in Puerto Rico, went through the Amazon, and ended in Manaus, Brazil. We went to the airport in Manaus to fly home, and the first thing I noticed was the alligator pond about 25 feet from the entrance to the airport terminal. There was no fence to keep the alligators in the pond. The airport entrance was completely open and had no wall so a person could just walk right in, and so could the alligators!! I found this very strange and I wondered what kept the alligators out of the airport terminal.

But wait--there's much more. We got into the airport terminal and checked in for our flight. It was extrememly hot in that terminal, as Manaus is somewhere near the equator, and there was no a/c running. There was a very long line going to what appeared to be security. I told my grandmother to sit down while I waited in the line. She sat down and watched me until I got to the front of the line, then she came to join me. When we reached the front of the line, I saw no metal detectors. The only thing I saw at the front of this line was a man sitting behind a desk for no apparent reason. I offered him our passports, he didn't want to see them. He had no interest in screening our carry-on luggage either. Finally I shrugged, as if to say, "What do you want?" He just waved us through and we continued on to the gate without going through any type of security or showing passports.

We proceeded to the gate and eventually boarded our flight to MIA. Some silly tourists had bought 6 foot long spears in Brazil and they were bringing them onto the plane as carry-ons. The FA announced that bringing spears on the plane is a security violation. However, he went on to say that since this flight is beginning in Brazil they would allow it, but once they reached MIA they would not be able to bring thier spears on the flight home so they must make other arrangements.

At this point in time, this is all a funny memory of travels with my grandmother. But I sincerely hope this airport has improved it's securty procedures since 1988.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 05:27 PM

Aloha Statia and friends,

I have a new poison...."Thicker Than Water" a film by Jack Johnson and the Malloys"

Cleanses the negativity of the day and brings me home! I am at peace with myself.
Aloha, and Mahalo for your lovely thread.
gyppielou

Old Oct 21st, 2005, 05:29 PM

Statia-

I'm a Houstonian too. Although we have our fair share of skeeters, you haven't fully experienced the worst life has to offer till you have been to Clute!

Old Oct 21st, 2005, 05:44 PM

Hello Statia, are you finished packing for your beautiful trip to Venice?

The "strangest" place I could say I have visited is Haiti. It was breathtaking, sad, the aromas were awful, the people as poor as they were were beautiful, their art was dramatic and wonderful. Definetly a place I will never forget.

Fathie, I have been in Port Antonio, Jamica. I didn't realize that not to many travellers haven't visited there.

Oh, my drink for Friday night is a vodka martini.

Statia, don't forget to have a glass of prosecco for me in Venice! And again, have a beautiful time in Italy. You will be in my thoughts!
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 05:51 PM
JRP

This evening's poison- Blue Moon, a very tasty micro-brew. I've been all over the world but, as for the strangest place...We can speak of The Heart of America, but The Belly of The Beast can be considered the smallest of small towns. Mine- Bluefield, WV, New Philadelphia, OH, Stoneboro, PA. Pleasant, warm and welcoming folks all, and microcosmic cultures that exemplify the love of Red, White and Blue.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 05:54 PM

An ice water chaser to a dinner of comfort food: stuffed green peppers with tomato sauce and mashed potatos.

Strangest place: by far, Pocono Mountain Raceway at a Nascar race. Hot, fat men with no shirts sweating all around me. Noisy, dirty, disgusting and weird. I'm a city girl, and I have seldom felt so out-of-place and disconnected and uncomfortable. I don't want to get in to politics, but I had the very distinct feeling that I was in a very small minority of one when it came to social and political views. Lots of rebel flags and little boy peeing stickers all over the place.

I swore I would never accompany DH to another race, but I'm taking him to Phoenix next month for his 50th birthday, and we're going to a Nascar race! Oh my...
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

moldy, from what my sister tells me, Sargeant is the worst of worst.

LoveItaly, dear, you have to know that I will propose a toast especially to you while we are on our gondola ride. I won't forget! Promise.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 06:05 PM

Statia -

I'm trying to find the name of a jewelry store I absolutely fell in love with on Murano. Granted, still glass jewelry, but their items were unusual. I've received many compliments and the gifts I've brought home were well received.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -