Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What's Your Poison and What Is the Most Frightening Moment You've Had in Your Travels?

Search

What's Your Poison and What Is the Most Frightening Moment You've Had in Your Travels?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's nearly 7 p.m. here, so we are well into happy hour. My poison is the usual Chardonnay and I'm in dire need of it after a hectic nine hour day at work without so much as a millisecond break. Whew! What a day.

This might be a bit long, so bear with me. Or feel free to bypass it altogether.

I mentioned during last week's topic that my husband was seriously injured here on our island during Hurricane Luis. We were airlifted to San Juan, Puerto Rico at that time and got stranded there during Hurricane Marilyn seven days later. We were so anxious to get home that we even looked into driving clear across Puerto Rico in an effort to find a flight out of another city. However, that was not to be the case and we had to wait until we could depart San Juan a few days after the storm has passed.

When we finally made it from San Juan to St. Maarten, the island was in shambles just as it had been a week or so prior. They were not letting many locals on flights due to the fact that they were trying to get all tourists off the island, so we weren't having much luck in getting back to Statia. As we were wandering around the airport, we ran into some friends from our island who said they were trying to get home, as well, and had been sleeping in hotels on a "find whatever room with a bed that you can" basis. They said it was awful since there was no security, no doors on some rooms, no working plumbing in many places, not to mention much pilfering and looting going on.

So, we knew at that point that we HAD to get off St. Maarten and get home....if we still had a home, that is. We finally saw a young guy, who looked all of 18 years old, holding up a sign that simply said, "Statia" on it. We approached him and asked if he was flying to Statia. He said he was and that it would cost us $50 each. We jumped on it in a heartbeat.

He put us on a baggage carrier and drove us down the tarmac to the plane we were to fly out on. My husband's injured leg was hanging off the baggage carrier since he couldn't bend it, and it nearly got side-swiped a few times by the likes of various military equipment that had come onto the island to assist with the devestation. We literally felt like we had dropped into the middle of the Vietnam war with the military trucks and choppers all around us. The sights and the sounds were horrifying.

We finally get to the single engine aircraft and were mortified to see that not only was it old and in disrepair, but it had so much duct tape on it! My husband and I looked at one another with fright in our eyes, but knew we'd come too close to home to turn back now. After a few days of trying to get home, we now had only a fifteen minute flight to go. As we paid the pilot and entered the six-seater cabin, we were overcome by the aroma of aged lobster. The smell was awful, but I could deal with it, since this was obviously a lobster transporting plane. What was to come next, however, was more disheartening.

The pilot closed the door on the passenger side and then got into his seat in the cockpit just inches from us. He proceeded to check that all systems were ready for take-off. Well, obviously they weren't. He flicked at the gauge equipment several times, then banged on the dashboard with his fist. It didn't help that he also kept smacking his headphones on either side trying to hear what the tower was telling him, but the words didn't seem to be getting thru. We hadn't even taken off yet and I just knew I was going to die at that point.

Awhile later we finally started toward the runway and I was really starting to think twice about this little adventure. But, it was too late to turn back. We gained speed down the runway and I could feel a lot of extra weight in the aircraft. I have flown small planes island to island here for enough years to know the feeling of not getting enough lift and that is what I was feeling at that point as we were headed directly toward the mountain at the end of the runway. However, we did get off the ground and immediately heard the loud sounds of water swooshing back and forth in the bottom of the plane. Yikes!

I have never said The Lord's Prayer so many times in fifteen minutes in my life, and my DH was awfully quiet so I assumed he was praying pretty hard, as well. I really did not think we would make it over the ocean to our home with all that swooshing sound of water and the obviously broken gauges, not to mention the duct tape that might come loose at any moment while in mid-air. However, fifteen minutes later we landed safely at our destintion only to hear a burst of water escaping the belly of the plane as we hit the tarmac.

Once we pulled into the tiny deplaning area and disembarked, the pilot looked at ALL the water pouring out of the aircraft, then looked at us and remarked, "I vas vondering vat dat schloshing sound vas!" I just knelt down on my knees and literally kissed the ashphalt. We were home in one piece. Needless to say, I will never fly in a plane covered in duct tape again.

BTW - Faina, I know you mentioned last week that I should post the Friday Night Poison thread both here and the Europe forum, but I don't want to seem like a board hog or the likes, so I think I'll just leave it here for now. Thanks for the idea, though.
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

OMG!!! I may as well have just posted a trip report.
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 03:00 PM

Hi All! Too tired to drink, do ya believe it, lol. Pizza and a mindless movie is on tap for tonight.

OMG is right! You are a brave (and perhaps slightly crazy - I say this very sweetly) women Statia!

My first international flight to Germany was the most frightening experience I ever encountered. It was my first flight ever and I was only 15 going on 16. I flew Luththansa out of JFK to Frankfurt, then a connection on to Hamburg.

We hit severe, and I mean severe knock-you-off-your-feet turbulance and then we dropped a bit (that was really unnerving) The FA's were tumbling about and I was near ready to have an accident in my panties. Needless to say, I didn't get out of my seat and it made it difficult for me to get on the next plane.

I also missed my connecting flight - but that's another story for another night.

This experience did create a significant fear of flying which I still deal with today.
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 03:00 PM

Hey, I'll catch you anywere you are

Some 15 years ago I came to US with my husband and 2 children. As a group of refugees we were guarded and guided. Our layover was in NY airport, and our group was in a small room on the 1st floor.

The younger one had to go to the bathroom which was on the 2nd floor. When we were up there, they closed all doors and we couldn't get back.

In my very limited English I tried to explain that my husband and son are downstairs, and I am here, on the 2nd floor with all emigration documents.

They gave me an advise I will remember for the rest of my life. "Don't worry, it's just a husband, he'll come back" only at that time it was not funny. I'm shocked I was able to understand that much! Seriously they told me everybody will eventually get to the 2nd floor waiting room and placed a sticker on me.

Some time later, which felt like several days, a wall opened, and there in the front row of the freight elevator was my husband waving a fist and my son wiping off his tears. They thought they will never see us again.

Even now, typing this, I have tears in my eyes. Maybe that's why my husband hates travels?
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 03:03 PM

Evenin' Statia,
Your story had me considering an early start on Happy Hour !
Good grief you must have been scared

I've told my "story" before so scroll on by if it's familiar.

It was a sunny day in mid October
1988. I was walking around Pacific Heights in San Francisco on my
way to view an apartment for rent.
It was a gorgeous warm day, blue skies and the view of the bay with it's
shimmering water gave me~butterflies~
"I am so happy to be moving
to San Francisco" I thought.

I was a bit early for my meeting
and decided to stop a few minutes
in a little park. On my way up
the hill from Union St.I had
passed an Embassy or two-
the Russian one was of note-
a large, beautiful mansion
like most of the them.

Here I was,
lucky me!!!!!!!
pondering my good fortune
and enjoying my lovely surroundings when I heard
a rumble and a vibration ("earthquake??? oh-my-god!!!")
next came a screaming whine,
no it was probably
4 or 5 screaming whines,
dark objects
moving in fast over my head,
("where's a tree I'll be safe under there!")

I am quite certain my heart sought
shelter in my throat during my sprint for safety.("My god!!!!they're attacking the Russians!!!!")

SSSSCCCCCCRRRRRREEEEEAAAAAAMMMMM
WWWWWHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNEEEE
ZZZZZZZZOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM
they all "rollout" over my head
and make a large turnaround back
toward the Bay.

My terror stricken eyes follow them and
something large is in the water..a aircraft carrier is entering the Bay under the Golden Gate Bridge....panic,
more panic,
heart is going to stop...("It's not
the Russian embassy they're after
it's... it's....THE CARRIER"!!!)

I am here to tell you that
sweat can be cold.

Now's a good time for a passing jogger
to stop to explain about Fleet week and the Blue Angels show on the upcoming weekend.

Lucky me.

R5
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 03:06 PM

Oh Statia! What a horrifying ordeal! Makes my worst moment seem like nothing.

Not sure what my poison for tonight is, but it will have to wait a while. I am going walking with a friend during the boys football practice, so will get to walk for almost 2 hours.

My worst moment was when the kids and I flew out to SF to visit my parents when my DH was deployed once. My parents live in the east bay, so I took the kids by myself one day into the city to do the tourist stuff. The kids were 3 and 5 at the time. We got up early, took BART into the city, and had just boarded a cable car. We got two blocks when a minivan taxi ran a red light and hit the cable car! We were on the outside, but sitting on the bench. Everyone that was standing was hit in the legs by the taxi and they all went flying. It was a large extended family from the east coast, and the grandmothers, who was standing directly in front of me, was the worst off. I was not allowed to get off and leave since I was a witness. So I sat there with the kids, and kept them turned the other direction to not see all the mess. Two strangers were incredibly helpful and kept the kids occupied. Finally, we were able to leave and I called my mom and we headed back to the house. She works at a hospital and asked if we saw the accident, lol! Thankfully, all the people were not critically hurt or killed, but I felt so bad for them that their vacation together was not what they envisioned. Needless to say, I am leery of the cable cars now, even though I have ridden them many times without incident, lol!
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 03:08 PM

Faina, the fear you must have experienced to be separated from your family in a strange land!

Now that I think of it, the MOST frightening experience ever was when we lost our son at the beach. We packed up, ready to head back to the condo, when we ran into people we knew from home. My son got confused and began to actually follow a man who was wearing the same kind of hat as his father back to the condo and then realized it was not dad. He was smart enough (at 5yrs) to remember the condo number and sat by the door thinking about the best way to get home (now I'm tearing up).

In the meanwhile I was hysterical thinking he went into the water (knew that couldn't be a possibility because he was afraid of the ocean at that time). It seemed like forever, when really only minutes passed before we found him.
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 03:32 PM

Razzle--My brother was on that carrier, lol! He flew jets. Then later my DH was on a carrier that arrived there for fleet week as well. At first I thought you were going to mention the earthquake.
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 03:35 PM

Another cold beer for me when I get home tonight.

My experience was not so much frightening, more like a major gulp when it occurred. I was working in Japan just after college and in Osaka one night I went to a public bathouse for a bath and massage. It was a very nice facility and reasonably priced given the quality of the establishment.

After finishing I walked into the changing room wondering why everyone was sitting outside and waiting. I entered the room and looked up to see two gentlemen wiping down another man who was sitting down on a stool smoking a cigarette. They all had strong physiques, tight short curly hair with elaborate tatoos from their shoulders to their knees and elbows.

It was a boryokudan (yakuza) boss with his bodyguards. They all gave me a look that said what the f--- are you doing in here. I gave a quick bow, backed out and joined the rest of the men sitting outside and waited for them to leave.
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 03:39 PM

Sheesh, R5, you had me thinking earthquake too! I nearly jumped out of my skin last year in Chicago when the Blue Angels were practicing. I had no idea they were in town

mms: What an awful experience for those poor people.
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 03:50 PM

Good gracious, stw & mms I had forgotten about the earthquake ! Well, I was living in SF by then not, travelling to it...
yet a few things in my office travelled
that day !

R5
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 03:55 PM

A White Zin for my Friday night poison after a long but wonderful 10 hour babysitting marathon for two of my grandkids. Did some school shopping - my things have sure changed since my kids were little! Otherwise waiting for DH to ready the pontoon for a little "spin" around the lake - BEAUTIFUL evening here in the midwest. Have a good weekend everyone!
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 03:59 PM

It took me a while when you said '88 instead of '89. My dad was at Candlestick Park during the earthquake. He and a friend from work hitched a ride back home to the east bay, which took them 6 hours. One good thing that came from that event is that my DH was stationed back in RI and he was able to call me that night to check in on my family. Otherwise we were only able to speak about once a week, lol!
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 04:06 PM

Lillet Blanc on the rocks here while I contemplate what we'll have for dinner.

The most nerve-racking time we've had was last year in New Zealand. We were at a park outside Wellington and needed to get across the mountains to Wanganui that evening. We saw another road on our map, different than the main highway, which was very near our location. We asked some people in the parking lot, and they said, "Oh, it's a good road, a little curvy, but you'll be fine."

I'm here to tell you - never take the Akatawara Road between Upper Hutt and Waikanae! I'm told it's like the Road to Hana - two lanes which feel more like a lane and a half. Curvy is a huge understatement; I'm sure it's scenic but we were too busy peering around the corners to notice. We had to drive off the shoulder a couple of times to make room for oncoming traffic - providentially, we were in the inside lane next to the hillside.

We felt like kissing the ground when we reached Waikanae, and Mr. Pickle needed a long soak in the tub at our hotel that night!

Lee Ann
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 04:10 PM

Its an Aussie Merlot tonight...

And I'll skip the 9/11 stories. Those of us who were close to that will win in the horrific catagory.

But...

My worst stories are all around flying and involve turbulence. I think the worst was flying into Rome with my DH. I'm not sure which is worse, my intense fear or the nausea from the shake, rattle and rolling.

I thank the Gods that all in all, I've had a good time of it and not experienced any nightmares.
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 04:19 PM
vcl

A nice, non-alcoholic chardonnay; I'm driving tonight.

But I'm reminded of the time my faithful traveling companion and I were trying to get back from the charming island of Hydra to Porto Heli on the Pelopponesian penninsula where we were to meet our daughter and our Greek son-in-law. We were lined up at the boarding ramp with several other passengers when the ship abruptly pulled away from the dock and steamed out into the sea.
There was no explanation and the only advice we were given was to wait for the next boat, some three hours hence.
We had no idea how to use a public telephone and even if we had we could not have explained our plight to our son-in-law's parents whose English is on a par with our Greek.
But we had spent quite a while -- and quite a bit of money -- in a lovely shop whose proprietor had spent a few years in the United States. We made our way back to the shop, explained our predicament, and the proprietor called John's family, told them what was going on, assured us we would be met at the next boat, and didn't even try to sell us anything more.
We spent the rest of the time on the island searching for a shop that sold books in English so we'd haved something to read while we waited for the boat. I still have the beautifully illustrated volume of Greek myths. And I still wish I were more multilingual.
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 04:30 PM

Lucked out! No football practice tonight, so I can start in on some poison now
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 04:49 PM

my first poison post!

i'm drinking chardonnay tonight waiting for my husband to arrive home from nyc. there were some bad accidents on the nj turnpike making for a long trip.

the first trip that popped into my mind was a harrowing car ride i had in burma from inle lake to pagan. it was about 7 or 8 hours, we had a car and driver. in burma, they drive on the right side of the road but get most of their (very used) cars from thailand and japan who drive on the left side of the road. so the driver was on the right side of the car, driving on the right side of the road. the road was one lane in each direction and filled with assorted vehicles ranging from big trucks to tuk tuks.

i stupidly started the trip in the passenger seat, where the driver should have been sitting. the driver felt inclined to drive like a madman, passing everything in his path. that would have been well and good except, in order to see what was coming in the other direction, he literally had to pull his car all the way into the opposing lane. meanwhile, as soon as he starts to pull out, i can clearly see the large truck--or car or bus or whatever--about to crash into us. i have never been so terrified in my life. after about an hour of this, i manage to convey that he should pull over. i moved to the backseat, laid down and just waited for the crash. amazingly, we made it in one piece. i honestly do not know how we didn't get into an accident.
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Kal

Damn Another late game tonight, 8:25 so, once again, iced coffee in lieu of a Sobriety Chcek point where they give away free jewelry with every set of .08+ breath tests.

:-?
Wasn't it just a week ago I was in beautiful downtown Primm, NV slamming 'em down while waiting for the BB King/Kenny Wayne Sheppard concert to start?

139 to go......
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 05:01 PM

Happy Friday Evening all!

Poison: Budman's Budbrew 2002 Sauvignon Blanc! Yum!

Until Jersey mentioned 9/11 I didn't even think of it. That was a pretty scary day. I'd returned home to NJ from Rome the day before, and never in my life was I happier to be on American soil, even if it was less than 20 miles from ground zero.

I've been pretty lucky, I guess - no terrifying travel experiences here.

What scares me most is that all my home improvement projects are eating up my travel budget! Trish

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -