Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What's Your Poison and What Has Been Your Hottest Trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've officially switched to red wine now that "winter" is here in the islands. It's been unusually hot during the day, but the nights have been nice and cool, perfect for enjoyng an ever so slightly chilled Merlot while sitting right here on my patio.

With most people being in the really cool, or even down right cold weather about now, I figured tonight's question would be appropriate to warm you all up. The question is courtesy of IndyTravel and he would like to know what is the hottest trip you've ever been on? Now don't start telling us naughty tales. The question is meant in the temperature sense, of course.

I would have to say mine was one year when we went to Vegas in the middle of summer to visit DH's family. His parents didn't have airconditioning since it wasn't needed all that often, but they did have a swamp cooler and that actually kept the house at a decent temp compared to the outdoors. However, outdoors was a whole other thing, and it was downright HOT!

We burned our hands every time we tried to get into the car and we burned our bodies quite easily just walking short distances, even with sunblock on. We had two nephews and "Little Statia" with us at the time and it was like playing cat and mouse buckling the kids up in the car every time we went somewhere. "Don't touch the seatbelt! Let us do it. Ouch! Ouch! Hot!" Being outdoors most of the time also felt like we were suffocatting, except when we were at a water park or under those misters that many places have. Even after you were misted, the water evaporated off of you in mere seconds. It was just plain HOT, and I grew up in the summer humidity of Houston, for crying out loud.

People kept telling us, "But, it's a dry heat." Yeah, so is my oven, but you won't find me sticking my head in it.

So, what's your poison and tell us about the hottest trip you've ever been on?
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 02:38 PM

Moab, Utah in July. 105 degrees even after 5pm.
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 02:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Athens, Greece in July. We would take a shower, walk out on our balcony, and have to go right back in for another shower.
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 02:42 PM

It's a Dr. Pepper evening and margaritas much later tonight.

I was thinking of my trip to Thailand just a few days ago when I saw someone posting about being relocated there. It was certainly a steamy vacation. I've never experienced heat like we did there! Despite the heat and humidity, I'd go back in a heartbeat! We were positively pampered while there. That certainly made some of the negatives reduce in importance.

Another "hot" time was when driving over the Texas border to go to Mexico. The van's a/c broke a few hours after leaving Houston. I thought I was going to melt on the way there. If it were to happen again, I think I'd turn back and go home. We had no idea just how miserable the ride was going to become. So much of that trip went wrong... *shaking head*
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 02:44 PM
emd

Hi Statia. No poison yet. Hot trip = Sedona in late June. Yowza. People said we could hike early in the morning. What were they talking about, 4 a.m.? By 8 a.m. it was unbearable. Luckily we were up in Oak Creek Canyon where it was cooler, but had no a.c. The only hike we could really do was West Fork of Oak Creek, because it was down in the canyon. Everything else was too exposed. Same at the Grand Canyon - how and why do people hike down in the canyon in summer? We coudl barely stay hydrated on the shuttle bus on the rim drive! Now we go in winter, a much better time...actually spending a week in those two places just 3 weeks from now! Thanks for making me think of that.
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 02:44 PM

Hi Statia ~

A little vino for me this evening.

For me it isn't so much the heat, but am I close to water, where is the water, where is the pool, the ocean, an ice cube, any water will do. I can deal with ANY heat as long as the Tiffster has the H2O.

Dear, dear DH and I have enjoyed some glorious warm (hot) weather vacations, but the most energy I had to exert was turning the page of my book as I float in a pool with a cool beverage.

THE HOTTEST that came to mind WITH NO WATER in sight was a week I spent at a flight training wing in Lubbock, Texas. It was so hot I thought I would die. THOUGHT I WOULD DIE.

And lemme tell ya, in addition to the heat, it was a dry county, yep that's right folks, no poison and no selling of the alcohol there, so one could not medicate with a ice cold beer.

~You are right, Statia, this is warming up Tiff on this cold MN 14 degree evening~

So there you are folks, my friend was becoming a pilot for the USAF and I was visiting, Lubbock, Texas wins for me.

Although I will say all those fellas in their flight suits certainly made up for it, but that is another story... shhhhhhhh, Mr. Tiff might hear me, hee.

Hehehehehehehehehhehehehehe.
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 02:45 PM

nothing right now...perhaps some hot chocolate later.
On a trip home from So. Cal one weekend we had to stop in Baker, Ca for potty breaks/diaper change. It was 122F. I stood at the back of our truck just long enough to get some drinks out of the cooler and a few snacks, the backs of my legs were on fire (and keep in mind I live in Vegas), by the time we pulled away about 5 minutes later it was 124F, we have vowed to NEVER stop their again in the summer unless absolutely necessary.
Have a good weekend!!
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 02:54 PM

My poison is this thread, LOL

Our younger son is coming, so no alchohol till much later.

We went with him to Israel in 1998 in April when the spring was unusually hot. Stepping off the plane was like walking into an oven.

In Tel Aviv we wore shorts and skimpy tops. This year I'm going in March
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 03:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If we stay home tonight, it will be some Zinfandel. If we go out, a Kamakazi.

I grew up and still live in California's Central Valley, so hot weather is a way of life. But it is dry heat(ha ha). Last fall I went to Cabo with some girlfriends. A storm came in for a few days. Weird. You would look outside and it looked cold and stormy. But walk out and it was like a sauna!! Same with Sedona this past July. It was about 100, but humidity was a little higher than I'm used to. The pool came in handy.

I still prefer a perfect 85!!

MY
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 03:42 PM

Viet Nam in 1966: 135 degrees in the shade. The "poison" you don't really want to hear about since it might spoil your Merlot.
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 03:45 PM

Tonight's poison will be (cuz I'm still in my office) a nice glass of Stag's Leap Winery 2002 Cabernet. Simple pleasure.

Hottest trip? Toss up between: a late June visit to Tucson (100F at midnight) several years ago; an August visit to Palm Springs (a family friend who retired there had broken her shoulder) where it was 116F at high noon; and Vegas for our birthdays this year, although I don't think it got hotter than 110F during the day (cold spell-- break out the parkas!!).

Rain expected here in southern CA tonight. And I have a commute on the 405 coming up. Dammit.
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 03:46 PM
Tess

I think Intrepid wins! For me, it was San Antonio this past July--only 105 degrees but almost 100% humidity. For someone not used to humidity, I thought I was gonna expire and my hair has never looked worse--LOL. Still loved every minute of San Antonio, though...

Poison? A nice glass of Yellowtail Merlot while waiting for hubby to get home from the airport.

Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 03:48 PM

Corona Light. It is fun to think back on that trip. Year was 1986, I had just had surgery for cancer and decided to do my dream trip to Australia, New Zealand and Fiji while I still could. It was hot, very hot in Australia; but, nothing like what I experienced in Fiji. We would go out scuba diving at 0300 because during the day we simply could not be outdoors or in motion. It was a lot of fun for me. My dive buddy was a professor of marine biology with the unlikely name of Thor. I will never forget those blue starfish, amazing! Even more amazing, at least to me, that was almost twenty years ago. Gee, I think I will have two Coronas tonight, that is a great thing to celebrate. Thank you,Statia, for bringing this to mind. Cheers.
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 04:02 PM

My father and I were on a travelling holiday in Central America. We were prepared and well stocked with snacks and big bottles of water. It was ridiculously hot and we shared our seat with a woman, her child, and a baby attached to her breast. She had chickens too, but they were on top of the roof. Well, we came to the border crossing and both my dad and I left our big bottles of water on some counter top somewhere. Several hours later, we were both incredibly thirsty. I was trying to be brave and strong for him and he was doing the same for me. I cannot convey how thirsty a person can be without water. My dad later confided in that he considered drinking his contact lense solution (we later found that it is toxic).

My most recent poison are gin and tonics. In central america however, i drink good ol fashioned Cerveza.
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 04:14 PM

Siduri Pinot Noir, with pasta after a cold wet day in Portland ( Christmas shopping helps keep warm & dry-I recommend it!)
First Hottest trip I remember is at age 13, visiting grandparents in Tucson Az in the summer. 114 but it really was dry! lol.
Last hottest trip in all senses of the word, August in Las Vegas with the Yankee.
Over 110, but then, who cared,
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 04:28 PM
vcl

Non-alcoholic Chardonnay this evening.

Hottest trip had to be Greece in August for our granddaughter's christening.

Our hotel in Porto Heli offered airconditioning only between 1 and 4 in the afternoon and 10 p.m. and 2 a.m. at night. We'd grab a siesta between 1 and 4; at night we tended to awaken when the airconditioning switched off, stumble to the windows and open them to the breeze from the harbor. By then the traffic noises had died down and it was possible to get back to sleep.

It was so hot during the day, children staying at the hotel ignored it's lovely little playground. But once the sun went down and the equipment cooled off, they often played on the swings and slides until midnight.
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 04:46 PM
P_M

Merlot and chocolate cake.

As a Texan I am no stranger to heat, but believe it or not, there are hotter places on earth than Texas. I went to Vegas in August one time--never again!! It was easily 120 degrees. Another time we went to New Orleans in the summer. I don't know the temp, but between the heat and the humidity, I thought we were going to die!! The only good thing about heat in NO is that usually DH refuses to visit museums or older homes. But on that trip I had no difficulty talking him into coming into one of those places with me. In fact, he was willing to do just about any indoor activity, as long as the a/c worked.
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 04:56 PM
Ani

Hi Statia,
My first time to post on this thread!
My poison tonight is a nice, inexpensive Cab...and although Vegas in July or August does come to mind immediately, I'll shake it up a little by mentioning our honeymoon:
We went to Hautulco, Mexico (the Pacific side) for our honeymoon in early April and both of us ended up with heat exhaustion. It was NOT a charming scene. I remember one evening bringing a pack of cards with us to the deck by the pool and literally whiping away the sweat as we attempted to play. It didn't last long.
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 04:58 PM

A little vino is keeno!

The hottest trip I've been on is to the grocery store here in South TX during the summer. I can't think of any place I've been that's hotter than here which means when we move in 3.5 years, but who's counting, we have no where to go but down...on the themometer that is ;-)

P_M, you are one brave Fodorite visiting Vegas in August! We went in January and it was down right chilly!

Cheers everyone!
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 05:08 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
A decent single malt is now warming the cellar and the red sauce is simmering for the pasta. Poison my eye.

Hottest trip is a no-brainer. Same trip, two events:

1) Staying in the Hotel Urgench in Urgench, Uzbekistan, ca. 1974. The thermometer on the wall went up to 50C (122F) and while we were in the room at mid-day, the thermometer blew up. True. Now, I don't claim to be an expert on thermometer-manufacuring quality control in the USSR, so while it may have been defective, it truly didn't feel like it. Oh, no cold drinks in the hotel, and of course no alcohol (Muslim country) so all we had to drink was hot apricot juice.

2) Leaving on a plane for Moscow from Tashkent a few days later; pilot switches off air conditioning while the plane sits on the runway. People fainting, an old man in a turban jumps up yelling and starts flailing a (curved) "decorative" dagger around, is gang-tackled by the Aeroflot FAs, the Indian doctor next to me says he's never been this hot and is worried about heat stroke. Then the plane takes off, the AC comes on, and the moisture in the cabin air (from perspiration) condenses out on metal fittings and it rains on us half the distance to Moscow. Hot isn't a strong enough term. How does hellish work?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -