What's Your Poison and.......

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Statia isn't here since she's been working a lot of overtime in her other job. She always talks about you fine folks and I feel like I know. She told me earlier that she will miss doing the poison thread so I thought I would fill in for her. I don't post here often at all, but what the hell.

So I'm taking it upon myself to post this thread. I'm a big foodie, so tell me about the finest food you have ever tasted in your travels. I mean something that was like "a little party in your mouth" where you didn't want to swallow. What did you have and where was it?

Mine was a lobster crepe in Marigot St. Martin at Jean du Ponte restaurant at Port Royale Marina. Statia had one too but it was so rich that it came back up when we returned to the hotel room. Talk about 35 dollars down the toilet.

Oh, I forgot, my poison is 2003 Chemin des Papes Cotes due Rhone. Finest inexpensive white wine I've tasted in a long time. And what I like about is that it's got a 13% alcohol content.

Later,

ReasonStatiasSoHappy
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 03:00 PM

Chatham Steamers... Wellfleet Oysters on the half shell anywhere !! Yummy

Cheriberry
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 03:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Are you Statia's other half??
I remember about 20 years ago being in Puerto Rico at Don Pepe's restaurant eating Beef Wellington. It was so good we went back the next night.
I have had good food since, but that was the first thought I had. I guess I am hungry for meat tonight!!
Tonight my poison is Nyquil which has some alcohol in it. I have a cold and I am going to be up at 6 am for kids' soccer games! and then our daughter's 13 birthday party in the afternoon. Tommorow night I may need two shots of Nyquil!
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I'm Statia's lesser half.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 03:16 PM

No air conditioning in my gym today and no windows. Can't open the doors due to security so it was a sauna. I told my students tales of the "old days" when there was no air conditioning in schools, homes, or cars. They had trouble grasping the concept. One darling (not) first grader asked if I had a car or a horse to ride to school when I was his age.

I tell you this so I don't sound so bad when I say I'm on my third Capt. Morgan and Pepsi One!

I loved the oysters at McCormick's in the Oxford Hotel in downtown Denver. My waitress was originally from South Florida and knew her oysters. There was an oyster menu that described the various oysters like they were a fine wine.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 03:23 PM

Well hello, ReasonStatiasSoHappy. Hope you are keeping the pup company at home.

My favorite food memory is a gorgeous chocolate dessert at Ariel Sands restaurant, Aqua, in Bermuda. The stuff of dreams.

My poison, when I stop working and messing around on Fodors, Corona Light. Very plebian but perfect for viewing a gorgeous Carolina moon on my back deck.

Cheers, Everyone.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 03:24 PM

Poison:
'01 Solaz Tempranillo/Cabernet with the antipasti here at home and then on to Romano's for Independence Day dinner with a '02 Zaragoza Cab/Sangiovese/Merlot.

Lola in Dallas (www.lola4dinner.com) 15 course tasting menu/world class wine list.

Buen provecho.

M
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Your Nyquil has more alcohol than my wine. Hope you feel better.

Don't worry about the Captain Morgan's. I used to partake in it but Statia no longer allows me to for reasons unknown to me.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 03:28 PM

Ahhhhhhhhh, the spouse steps to the dark side...

Well RSSH, truly I must say that the first thing I thought of was traveling home for my Mom's Thanksgiving Dinner. My Dad was still living at the time and her Thanksgiving dinners were something else. I would stir the gravy for her, and my Dad would come in and slice the turkey and my Grandma was always in charge of the mashies.

Now a foodie such as yourself would know how important that gravy part is, mustn't mess with a girl's gravy!

Ok, if I had to pick an actual "travel to meal", that is to say a meal "you" could travel to, I would say just about anything I ate while in Italy. Or to be even more definitive, my wonderful DH (that’s ‘dear husband” to you, you Rookie) and I had a wonderful meal at La Casa Que Canta in Zihuatanejo, Mexico. Who knew you could get such great risotto in Mexico. It was heavenly, so were the views. Enchanting.

One of the best desserts I ever had was at a restaurant that is no longer open in Seattle called The Palm Court. The chocolate melted in your mouth. But alas, it is no more.

My poison tonight will be a glass of Caymus that is “breathing” right now.

See ya Rookie – tell our little Statia we love and miss her!

Tiff
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Kal

Poison:
Starbuck's Venti coffee.
Gotta stay awake for a softball game AND beer and pizza.

Best food??? Too much to narrow down.

Fresh baked Italian bread from the local bakery, cold cuts right out of the meatcase and home made wine at Aunt Rosie's house in Lucca, Italy.

The peat smoked pork shank at O'Reilly's Holy Grail in SF.

Otto's in NYC cheese plate with very interesting "toppings".
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 03:37 PM

Welcome ReasonStatiasSoHappy!!! Very clever screen name. We've all heard a lot about you so it's good to have you here. Tell Statia hello and doesn't she know Friday nights are not for working??

No poison tonight, as this whole week I've been nursing a bottle of Terra Rosa, an Argentine Cab/Malbec blend. A great value at $10.

Boy, the best food I've ever tasted....it's probably the caprese in Italy: tomato, fresh buffalo mozzarella, basil, and olive oil. I've had it over and over here in the States, but in Italy it tastes completely different. The tomatoes are better than the best ones from your backyard garden as a kid, the cheese melts in your mouth, the basil is so sweet, and the olive oil so fragrant. I never tire of it, and have caprese at least once a day whenever in Italy. I also recall a dish from Il Logge (?) in Siena called malfatti that I just couldn't get enough of. It was ricotta cheese and spinach dumplings I think with a creamy sauce. I love so many places in North America and Europe for so many reasons, but I'll go to Italy for the food each and every time.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 03:39 PM

Hey Kal,

Is Aunt Rosie's house like my Thanksgiving dinner memory, or it this a place where we can all partake...

(ITALY only four months away, I think I can, I think I can, last until then!)

\/

Old Sep 16th, 2005, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

I realize how important gravy is. I was 35 years old with my mother here in the Caribbean and I started to make cream gravy from bacon drippings with my mother standing behind me.

When I started to pour the milk in she goes "wait, wait!...you're supposed to put the flour in the drippings first and stir it up! And then pour the milk in."

I said, "Mother you told me 25 years ago to put the milk in first." She denied ever telling me that.

To make a long story short, I realize that gravy is very important but I also know that the recipe changes over time, denials or not.

So, does anyone here have the best cream gravy recipe? Or a recipe for blue cheese sauce?

I'm going out now to hopefully meet up with Statia later on to bid some good friends farewell who are leaving our island tomorrow.

Better yet...maybe she'll come home and y'all can keep her occupied while I get in trouble.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 03:40 PM

Hello there, better half!! How nice to read a post from you. I always enjoy your Statia's posts and especially her Friday "poison threads".

Having a boring half glass of chardonnay. It seems like every Friday, after seeing Statia's post I think "oh have to go buy something" LOL.

Ah, the food while travelling. Well like Tiff I would say a lot of the food I have had in Italy. I can only think of a couple of dishes I did not like. To many fantastic ones to mention but a beautiful little restaurant in some vineyards in Veneto that serves a funghi risotto and then a rabbit dish comes immediately to mind. Heavenly (if you like rabbit of course).

And shrimp along the westcoast of Mexico is always sooo good.

And some restaurants in my area (one in Vacaville) and some in SF that have the best raw oysters and mussels.

OK, now I am starving!!

I hope you and Statia have some time together this weekend. Take good care, and thanks for posting. Enjoy that beautiful island of yours.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 03:43 PM

Hi Tiff,

Yes, Italian food....mmmmmm....your mention of risotto reminded me of the Amarone risotto I had in Verona that may be just a bit better than the malfatti. I guess I'll have to go back and compare again.

Don't mind me, I'll probably be popping back in periodically as I think of more "even better" Italian meals, lol.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 03:48 PM

Poison - Vodka
I will miss for a long time
Irene's Paneed Oysters....NOLA

Sigh.............
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 03:48 PM

Hey Jocie !

Hey Love !

Hey Cmc !

Hey everyone !

p.s. amwoso, I have once or twice had a Captain diet myself, but just once or twice.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Kal

Tiff,
il Famglia que molto bene..or something like that!!!

It was in Mrs Kal's Dad's sister's kitchen in Lucca. Closed to the public!
Yah gotta know somebody.

You headed to Tuscany?

Last trip over with my in-laws, my FIL was eye balling the guy who was running a restaurant inside the walls of Lucca and he was eye balling back.

He went over and talked to him. They looked familiar to each other because the guy used to own a restaurant in SF that my FIL used to frequent years ago!
Smallll world.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 03:55 PM

<Yah gotta know somebody.>

Man, isn't that the truth! As they say, "It's not what cha know, it's who ya know."
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 03:56 PM

Hello OtherHalf!! How are you? glad to see you here You really are the reason Statia is so happy

It is a tad early here on the West Coast but there is a bottle of French Bordeaux that the Yankee decided to splurge on..right now it is just a big glass of Orangina ..

You know, we ate , in Marigot, along the water , at a place called Nadillac? I had langouistine and since it was my birthday, the chef made a Flaming Baked Alaska for me..try blowing out faming eggshells My mouth did do a happy dance!

Then there was my first dinner in Paris at Le Violin D'Ingres, when each dish was perfect, I hated to stop eating and wanted to eat there every night after. There were too many dishes and names I don't remember, but the nice thing is, they are still there if I want to go back~

Love to Statia, take care, Scarlett

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -