Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What's your favorite vacation drink? I need to find some new ones!

Aug 1st, 2003, 11:22 PM
Jay4me

I've been in a rut. I love good wine, but want to try some new drinks. I want the kind where I can have fun and not suffer too much the next day. I like rum, vodka, Bailey's, tequila drinks. Thanks. Oh, no coconut sweet types, or dacquiris.

Aug 2nd, 2003, 01:51 AM

Dackeries, or dikeries? hahahaha....just kidding, just kidding, just wanted to torture all those who responded to my thread...smile. Anyway, I love a good margarita.
Aug 2nd, 2003, 03:47 AM

Margaritas are good. I also like a Hairy Navel: vodka, orange juice, and peach shnapps. Yum!
Aug 2nd, 2003, 05:04 AM
iceeu2

Well, the going thing right now are all of those martini drinks..Friend had a chocolate martini.......vodka, creme de cacao.....chilled....served in martini glass with a chocolate kiss in the bottom.
Not knowing my etiquette.......don't know if it was shaken or stirred!!

Aug 2nd, 2003, 05:29 AM

The drink gotribe was referring to is a Fuzzy Navel. Fuzzy for the peach, navel for the OJ.
Love a tequila sunrise, OJ, tequila and asplash of grenadine.
Pink Squirrell half & half creme de cacao. Tastes like a cherry milk shake.
Go to a higer end liquor store or a book store and et a bartenders guide. There are 2 versions....the regular drinks, and the naughty ones....skirt lifter, sloe screw up against a wall etc. There is also a web site, you can visit but it is early on Saturday morning....just another tequila sunrise!
Aug 2nd, 2003, 05:47 AM

Until I moved to miami I had never had a mojito, and wow... are they tasty...
Aug 2nd, 2003, 07:17 AM

Mojitos ARE great. A bit outdated, but I find a Seabreeze (vodka, grapefruit juice & cranberry juice) very refreshing.
Aug 2nd, 2003, 07:19 AM

You complain about mojitos being outdated and you drink seabreezes? ;-)
Aug 2nd, 2003, 07:20 AM
iceeu2

What are mojitos???
And there is a difference in a Fuzzy Navel and and a Hairy Navel......One has vodka...one doesn't...don't know which is which

Aug 2nd, 2003, 07:57 AM

Maybe this is too closely related to wine, but on our trip to Quebec last weekend and the Florida gulf last Christmas, we have been enjoying ordering pitchers of sangria at restaurants where offered. Each restaurant seems to make their own concoction with added alcohol and fruit, so you never get the same drink twice. One quaint french restaurant on the I'le de Orleans near Quebec made the Sangria from their own bottled wine with added blueberries and strawberries grown locally....delightful!
Aug 2nd, 2003, 08:13 AM
Jay4me

Some of your replies brought back vivid memories, Arkansas- the Sloe Screw I drank in college, loved ordering it because it sounded so risque! The sangria punch we sort of knew as Spody punch, very potent. Mojitos I discovered from a magazine recipe, which I made with the lettuce wraps(Cuban version). I know people are into Cosmopolitans now too, so I'm going to try those. I guess I'll wait and see what the bartenders recommend. I decided to save dessert calories for drinks, seems less guilt inducing. Or hubby and I can share dessert!

Aug 2nd, 2003, 08:32 AM

In Mexico we drank gypenaya's (I spelled it like it sounds)the whole time- I think it was make w/ cane liquor and limes. Very yummy!
Aug 2nd, 2003, 08:38 AM
GoTravel

Mojitos! Sweet but tangy!

I think mclaurie was refering to the Seabreezes being out of date not the mojitos.

Aug 2nd, 2003, 09:00 AM

How about a Ketel-One martini on the rocks, with bleu-cheese stuffed olives? My new favorite, and no pesky mixers to cause those morning after cobwebs!!
Aug 2nd, 2003, 09:02 AM

Ketel One is the best for no hangover the next day!!
Aug 2nd, 2003, 10:27 AM

A Fuzzy Navel is just OJ and peach schnapps. The Hairy Navel has OJ, peach schnapps and vodka.
Aug 2nd, 2003, 10:35 AM
Jay4me

Okay, I'm going to try a martini. Which one to start with? What is it about the Ketel? Do they hit you like a ton of bricks? I'm not a stuffed olive fan either.

Aug 2nd, 2003, 10:52 AM

My favorite: a Ketel One, Grey Goose or Belvedere martini, straight up, extra olives. I love them so much I wish there were LESS alcohol in them so I could drink more!
Aug 2nd, 2003, 11:25 AM
GoTravel

My favorite is Bombay Saphire straight up with a twist.

Martinis are actually supposed to be made with Gin. The vodka is an updated martini.

Aug 2nd, 2003, 11:39 AM

I stand corrected on the navels...bombay saphire sounds cool what's in it?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO