What's your favorite souvenir?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going on our first trip to Oahu and Maui soon...
I'd like to bring back some things for friends/secretary/etc. And of course, something for me!
What souvenir is a favorite that is (uniquely) from Hawaii??
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 05:16 PM

Chocolate covered macadamia nuts. MMMMM!!!

Another idea could be Kona coffee.

A non-edible possibility is pottery with a sea turtle on them.

Old Mar 10th, 2008, 05:47 PM

Art... tapa cloth... Hawaiian quilts... any craft made in Hawaii.

Aloha
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 07:30 PM

Lion Coffee <http://www.lioncoffee.com/>.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 07:38 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Scented lotions, candles, flavored Mac nut cooking oils from... "Oils of Aloha" & "Island Soap & Candle Works". All offered in small gift worthy sizes.

Sarongs.

Pineapple shaped shortbread cookies, various macadamia nuts, local coffee, all good!
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 10:03 PM

I picked up some nice thank you (mahalo) notes, birthday cards and post it notes.

The orchid I brought back has survived nicely, I wish I would have brought back a couple more.

For the gardeners in my life I brought back some bird of paradise seeds. Most of us were surprised that they were grown from seeds. And we live in So. Calif where bird of paradise is a common plant.

My favorite souvenir is a necklace and earring set.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 06:16 AM

Give the "secretary" a real present and start calling him/her an "assistant" - welcome to the 90's.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 06:46 AM

Here are some of my favorites from my many trips to Hawaii:

- A coffee table book of Gary Reed's art.
- Coconut Syrup
- Mac nuts are ALWAYS a big hit.
- Handmade scented soy candles
- Handmade Plumeria scented soap

When I'm back on the mainland, I've purchased several things from this site: http://www.doublebrush.com/ It has all been very good quality and it's all made in Hawaii.

One thing you might want to look for as you shop for gifts, check to see where it's made. Many shops carry lots of stuff that's made in China. I like to try to buy something that's actually made in Hawaii when I can.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 08:10 AM

I collect starbuck mugs, from every city ive been to. They have special city mugs.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 08:41 AM

I have been to Hawaii a dozen times and always shop at the ABC store and Hilo Hatties to find small trinkets (cell phone charms, braclets, turtles or other marine mammals made of ceramic, etc). We also always bring back Kona coffee for our coffee drinking friends.

We also shop at the local markets for hand made Hawaii items.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 09:06 AM

Christmas ornaments with a Hawaiian touch.

Fresh flower leis--although they don't last very long the ones I've given were very much appreciated. Excellent selection and prices in Honolulu Chinatown.

Iolani Palace in Honolulu has an excellent gift shop, and the Art Institute a wonderful museum store.

Interesting jewelry with sea turtles, lovely shell pieces, pearls, etc. I have a silver bracelet that I love. Each link is engraved with a Hawaiian flower.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 10:01 AM

I have bought souvenirs both great and small but my favorite is a small piece of ocean worn coral that I keep in my pocket - free from the beach on Maui... here's a picture:
http://tiny.cc/dD6bB
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 11:49 AM

We got a carved wooden tiki statue that we have up in our living room.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 11:50 AM

The thing I have received the most compliments on is a small shell pendant, long and curled in shape, beige to slightly rose in color, and edged in gold-colored paint. I wear it a lot and invariably receive compliments on it. I got it at the International Marketplace for $1.00.

I began life as a stenographer and ended as an executive assistant, doing much the same work with added responsibilities. I never minded being called a secretary, which is what I was, and always appreciated being remembered with any sort of gift. Chocolate macadamia nuts rock!
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 11:51 AM

Forgot to mention, for gifts for other folks we got chocolate-covered macadamia nuts. They were a hit!
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 11:51 AM

If you get coffee, make sure you buy the 100% Kona or other Hawaiian coffee. Kona is the most expensive, but you can get 100% Maui or Kauai coffee at a slightly cheaper price. The other cheap varieties contain only 10% Kona coffee with 90% Columbian. Lion Coffee is my least favorite brand. There are many others to choose from.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 12:33 PM

I've gotten some neat stuff at Maui Hands. They have things locally made in all price ranges. I fell in love with some really cool key chains and got four or five of them. They can also be put on a cord and worn as a necklace or used as a fan pull chain. If one has the funds, they have some fabulous pieces in there, also great local jewelry. They have a shop in Paia and also they had a branch at the Hyatt. I think there is another shop someplace else, but can't remember where. I love that place.

There is a craft fair close to Lahaina and I got a great silver and gemstone necklace there.

I also get some soaps and lotions. I'm not one for "trinkets". None of the things I have purchased are "cheap", but not terribly expensive either. The necklace was 110.00 as I remember, so not bad.

Those would be the things for you..the other suggestions for friends, business associates are good. There's all kinds of things you see all over the place to pick up. Costco has some good stuff so if you are a member you might check that out also.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 01:57 PM

We really liked our back scratchers made out Kona wood -- not expensive and very useful.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Wow...these are great ideas. I'm going to print them out to take with me. Thanks so much!

I'll not get into the whole "secretary v. assistant" debate...just want to explain that the person in question works for my husband and she ALWAYS refers to herself as his secretary. So I just go with the flow! But point taken
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 05:45 PM
WannabeinaMontserrat

If you can figure it out, I've always wanted to try & sneak a hula girl onto the plane w/me...Just a thought.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -