Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   What's wrong with Pompano Beach? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/whats-wrong-with-pompano-beach-345201/)

cdt Aug 6th, 2003 07:55 AM

What's wrong with Pompano Beach?

I've noticed a lot of negativity about Pompano Beach FL, on this board and elsewhere, and I'd like to know more about its shortcomings.

We stayed at the former Holiday Inn (S. Ocean Blvd.) in '92 and '99 and we're contemplating a "budget" trip this winter - looking at a couple of small places just north of the pier and public beach area.

Are there safety issues in Pompano? Beach pollution? Or is it just a bit downscale?

If there's something specific, we'd like to know before we book another visit.

We're considering the Croton Arms or Dolphin Apts.

Thank you!

buckeyemom Aug 6th, 2003 08:29 AM

The Pompano Beach area itself is very safe. There are a lot of mom and pop hotels on the beach as well as high rise condos. Seems to be a lot of snowbirds especially from Canada specifically Quebec. It's when you get out of the beach area that's the problem. There are some run down areas and Federal Highway has some strip joints.

mrt Aug 6th, 2003 01:09 PM

There is very little that is good about Pompano Beach other than having a Houstons restaurant on the inter-coastal waterway. It is full of 2nd grade condos. It is a blue collar town with nothing to offer tourists except the ocean. Go somewhere else. Check out the mariott in Delray Beach

flopmeister Aug 6th, 2003 01:22 PM

mrt is not entirely incorrect. However i will tell you that we've had nothing but excellent times on the beach in pompano. of course the entire hotel is overrun with quebecers, but their precisely the type of people I want to party with. We stay at an oceanfront condo and use it as a jump off point for south florida. yes, we've stayed at the marriott in delray too, and it's fabulous. but it's a totally different price point and a different scene. you can get an oceanfront condo in pompano for roughly 1/3 what you would pay at the marriott. you can cook your meals as well and save your money for the things that really matter, like taking excursions to miami, key west, etc., or for going to the Sunfish Grill (atlantic blvd) which i'd say is just abuot the best seafood resto in s. florida. IMHO there are safety issues in ALL of florida that are much more acute than in other parts of the state. and yes the area in between the beach and I95 is run down, but it is in many areas of s. fl. as well (take a drive just west of US1 in Delray, for example).

LilMsFoodie Aug 7th, 2003 03:09 AM

All I know from Pompano is the Sunfish Grill which is about the best seafood restaurant around.

Not everyone going to Florida can stay in a 5* hotel, so don't be put off by the snide remarks from some of the armchair travellers that frequent this board. I have the feeling many never venture beyond their keyboard. LMF

Myrna Aug 7th, 2003 06:03 AM

There is nothing wrong with Pompano Beach. It is not as glitzy as FLL to the south or as full of yuppies as Delray and points north or south. It is laid back and yet safe to walk in. As far as I know the beach is not polluted. Pompano is more affordable than FLL. As for the blue collar remark I don't think that's the case. Sure, there are some smaller motels on the beach that are inexpensive, but there are also some pretty pricey condos and houses along the intercoastal. And as mentioned above there are seedy areas anywhere in Southeast Florida between 95 and US 1. Stay on the beach and you will be fine...

cdt Aug 8th, 2003 08:29 AM

Thank you all for your opinions. We enjoyed Pompano on our previous trips but this time we'll probably be staying closer to the pier and we wanted to make sure we weren't overlooking something.

Has anyone out there stayed at the Croton Arms or Dolphin Apartments?

buckeyemom Aug 8th, 2003 09:05 AM

cdt-My parent's have stayed at the Aqua Mar on the intercoastal and liked it. Looking at the Dolphin and Croton Arms websites both properties look pretty dated to me. Here is a website for you to look at: http://www.pompanobeachchamber.com/hotels.html.
You might want to try epinions.com, frommers or the rants and raves hotel section on Fodors Travel Talk home for opinions on these properties.

minegirl Oct 16th, 2003 01:55 PM

My sister and I just got back from Pompano Beach. We didn't feel unsafe anywhere at any time. The beach was not polluted at all. We had a very nice 2 bdrm. condo (not on the beach) but it was just a little over $40/night! Get a newspaper... found several good 2-for-1 dinner coupons that we used for some great meals.

darlas Oct 16th, 2003 05:46 PM

What which newspaper did you find the coupons? What restaurants have 2 for 1 coupons? We're visiting Pompano beach next month.

tigerhawk Oct 17th, 2003 12:35 PM

There's nothing wrong with Pompano - in fact I like it so much I just bought a vacation condo there on the beach. The Croton is not on the beach - don't know about the Dolphin but I don't think so either. Try either the Surfside Hotel [www.surfside-resort.com] or the Terrace Plaza. You can find addresses and phone # for Terrace Plaza at the Pompano Beach Chamber of Commerce site www.pompanobeachchamber.com - We've also stayed at the Ocean Garden Golf Resort also listed on the chamber site - the golf is just a putting green but it's only 2 blocks from the beach.