Search

What's there to do in Nashville, Tenn.?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's there to do in Nashville, Tenn.?

Hi All,

The Crabby Old Guy (Hubby) has taken a position at a university in Nashville. I know about the Grand Ole Opry but what other sights are of interest in this area?

Stay Savvy!
Hugs,
The Savvy Old Lady(c)
www.thesavvyoldlady.com
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 05:38 AM

There are lots of things to do in Nashville.

First, it has a thriving music scene. Of course, country music abounds, but the record industry produces other music in and around Nashville, too. Check out the Bluebird Cafe for up and coming singers/songwriters of the country ilk.

Downtown there are lots of clubs/restaurants. There is the Country Music Hall of Fame and other tourist-related sites related to country music nearby.

Cheekwood is a wonderful place to visit.

You will want to look around Vanderbilt -- a beautiful campus. There are frequently lectures, concerts, art exhibits at the university that are available to residents. Across the street is Centennial Park with its mock up of the Parthenon and small art museum inside.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 05:40 AM

Sorry, hit send too soon!

There's the Hermitage, home of Andrew Jackson. Nashville also has football in Vanderbilt and the NFL team, Tennessee Titans. I believe there is also a minor-league hockey team.

You can visit Belle Meade, a beautiful plantation and garden, I believe.

You might want to do a quick google search for tourist info or chamber of commerce info.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 05:40 AM

This is from the destinations section of this website:
Bolstering Nashville's reputation as a music town are dozens of clubs, performance stages (including the revitalized Ryman), and television tapings open to the public, as well as memorials to many country-music stars. The District, the downtown area along 2nd Avenue and historic Broadway, has emerged as a destination for tourists and locals alike, with restaurants, specialty shopping, and entertainment options. And, of course, legendary Music Row continues to beckon aspiring singers, musicians, and songwriters with stars in their eyes and lyrics tucked in their back pockets.

Much of Nashville's role as a cultural leader, enhanced by the presence of the Tennessee Performing Arts Center, is derived from the presence of 16 colleges and universities, two medical schools, two law schools, and six graduate business schools. Several, including Vanderbilt University, have national or international reputations, and many have private art galleries. As ancient Athens was the "School of Hellas," so Nashville, where a full-size replica of the Parthenon graces Centennial Park, fills this role in the contemporary South. The historic sites throughout the city -- such as the Hermitage, Belle Meade Plantation, and Travellers' Rest -- add another dimension.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 05:56 AM

So it sounds like you're asking what to do once you move here, not necessarily on a visit? There's plenty. As far as music, country gets most of the attention from tourists, but what's in the bars and clubs is everything from Americana to rock to punk and pretty much everything in between. We have a new symphony center, the Schermerhorn, that's just amazing. The Frist Center is an art museum downtown that has rotating exhibits and is housed in an art deco former post office. There are lots of parks around; Centennial is a major one, and lots of city events are held there (they just finished Shakespeare in the Park), but there are the Warner parks on the west side of town, and smaller parks in a lot of neighborhoods.

Sports - the Titans (NFL) and Predators (NHL) both play here, as well as the Sounds (minor league baseball), at least for now. Vandy's basketball and baseball teams are good. Football... drive to Knoxville and see UT.

There are tons of historical sites around, as other posters have mentioned. If you're into shopping, Hillsboro Village has lots of shops and restaurants, and East Nashville and the 12South area are growing fast. Green Hills has lots of upscale stores (Tiffany and Louis Vitton opened last year).

Hope that helps! I love this town. Hopefully you will as well.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 06:43 AM

Do you like antiques? Touring an interesting rural location with neat shops and a friendly Amish community? Visiting a small mineral museum that has incredible gems on display?

You might enjoy a trip or two to Marion, Kentucky.....which will be about an hour and a half drive from Nashville through pretty countryside.

The folks there are very, very friendly. You can even take a FREE ferry ride (with your car) to the Illinois side of the Ohio River to explore other intriguing rural areas.

Here's a link to Marion's web site:
http://www.marionkentucky.us/

Enjoy!
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 09:10 AM

Don't come! It's horribly boring and miserable here! Just kidding; but it's really becoming crowded in the Nashville area. Most people love living here. The weather is pleasant (most of the time), the country-side is lovely, and the people are friendly. You will want to follow the above excellent recommendations and then do what the locals do: Radnor Lake, Percy Warner Parks, The (free!) Vanderbilt lectures at the downtown library, symphony, opera, Tennessee Rep. theater, and of course the Titans and Predators, etc. I love living here. Go Titans!!
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 10:13 AM

Nashville is great. Everybody has already given you ideas but I'll say this, it is booming. And sometimes the traffice can be horrible especially at rush hour. Being from the NorthEast, I find Nashville very easy to live in and lots of fun. Plus you can fly in one hour to Chicago and that is just terrific. Welcome.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 10:15 AM

What university is he coming to? We have several in the area.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Hi all,

Thank you so very much for all the information. It definitely sounds like there will be plenty to do and see once I get there which will be within the next week. I wasn't really sure what to expect LOL. The Crabby Old Guy has taken a post at Belmont University but will also be working with some of the people at Vanderbilt.

Hugs,
The Savvy Old Lady(c)
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 04:12 PM

Belmont is great. A friend of mine is the reference librarian there. I think you will like Nashville. We're pretty friendly.
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 03:44 AM

I am going to Nashville next weekend and aside from the normal tourist activities thought I would like to go to some parks too. Radnor Lake and Percy Warner Parks might fit the bill. Do either have good hikes, boating, etc? We could only go to one - which would you recommend?
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 10:58 AM

Radnor has nice hiking but no boating. There are trails that follow the lakeshore and also up into the hills surrounding the lake. There are several larger lakes around Nashville where boating is an option.
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 02:22 PM

As a '75 graduate of Vanderbilt, the special thing to do was go to Lovelesses. Just wondering if its still as good? If so, have a biscuit for me.
Betsy
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 05:17 PM

I'm also looking. Will be there next month with my daughter. I recall being there in 2000, and eating at a really great area with restaurants, shops, etc. I think it was near the football stadium.
Can someone tell me where that shopping/eating area is?
Thanks in advance
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 08:52 PM

Betsy - although the Loveless isn't my personal favorite, it still gets a big crowd, so I guess it's still good!

Mrs. President - do you mean downtown? The Titans stadium is right across the river from downtown, and there are lots of honky tonks, tourist shops, some restaurants in the downtown area. The Ryman, Country Music Hall of Fame, Sommet Center (formerly GEC) and the symphony center are also there.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 12:37 PM

Jent,

That must've been the place. Can you be more specific?

Thanks!
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 07:54 PM

More specific than downtown? Well, most tourists are concentrated around Broadway and 2-5th Avenues or so. Tootsie's and the Stage are on Broadway (honky tonks). Jack's barbecue is also on Broadway. The Ryman is just north of Broadway between 4th and 5th (just behind Jack's and Tootsie's). 2nd Avenue has lots of bars, clubs, karaoke and other typical tourist venues, including the Hard Rock. There are other restaurants scattered around, at least one boot store on Broadway, and Ernest Tubb's a little further down. The Sommet Center (arena) and the Schermerhorn Symphony Center are both just south of Broadway. The Frist Center (art museum) is further down Broadway around the Union Station hotel. I think that covers it.