Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   What's the most romantic town on the Coast of Maine? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/whats-the-most-romantic-town-on-the-coast-of-maine-424119/)

cindyrob Apr 19th, 2004 05:35 PM

What's the most romantic town on the Coast of Maine?

Hello!
We would like to spend a few days in Maine to celebrate our 1st Anniversary in June. Neither of us have ever been to Maine. We love seafood (especially lobster), small towns, long walks, great views of the ocean.

If you had to pick just one town in all of Coastal Maine -- which one would be the most romantic? Also any specific recommendations for places to stay would be great -- we're looking in the $100-$150 price range.

Thanks!
Cindy

tracys2cents Apr 19th, 2004 09:16 PM

If you can go in EARLY june, the rates will probably be best...we like Boothbay Harbor the best - Welch House inn and Ocean Point Resort are two favorites...The Samoset Resort in Rockport is also nice.

PamSF Apr 20th, 2004 09:42 AM

Check out Castine. Check out the Castine Inn.

Little_Man Apr 20th, 2004 10:53 AM

Camden is supposed to be the most beautiful town in Maine.
An inn/motel in Linolnville, the town next door, is called the Mount Battie Inn, and gets raves from my family. They say it's beautiful, immaculately kept and very reasonably priced. You can get an idea at their website: www.mountbattie.com
(they may still be closed for the winter).

dfrostnh Apr 21st, 2004 02:26 AM

If you decide on Camden, you can go to the Cellar Door Winery in nearby Lincolnville for some bottles of wine. Check when they have tasting hours. It's inland just a short ways and they have a beautiful view of the orchard from the barn window. Lupines are in bloom around mid-June. I think it was Stonington that had a lupine festival. If you like gardens, we had a lovely walk thru the gardens at the Blue Poppy. The whole Blue Hill peninsula is nice to explore and would make a nice day trip drive north from Camden. We were staying in Searsport which also had fields of lupine in bloom.
Happy Anniversary!

Dreamer2 Apr 21st, 2004 03:55 AM

Check out the Black Point Inn in Scarborough Maine. If you should stay there, try to stay in one of the separate buildingings facing the ocean and pool, rather than the old inn itself. Very romantic, with lots of privacy, excellent food, and paths along the rocky coast. You'd be in a great spot to explore both Portland and Kennebunkport. Have fun!

mainetoday May 3rd, 2004 07:13 PM

I always liked Perkins Cove area, right next to Ogunquit. Nice little quaint village, right on the ocean. Also the Marginal Way seaside walk is great and very romantic.

djkbooks May 10th, 2004 08:26 PM

For me, the most romantic town is Ogunquit. Though, the most romantic place to stay and dine (at least one night) is the White Barn Inn in nearby Kennebunkport.

But, there are any number of splendid possibilities.

Highly recommend "Maine, An Explorer's Guide". Worth every penny and the time to peruse...

janiekins May 19th, 2004 09:49 AM

I just love Kennebunkport and always stay at the Captain Lord Mansion - beautiful rooms!!!! Eat at Hurricane's Restaurant - 2 locations - Kennebunkport and Ogunquit

Shar May 21st, 2004 07:54 AM

Kennebunkport and Camden get my votes but then I think most of the coast of Maine is romantic. Great B & B all over the place. We were there 2 years ago in October for a 4 day schooner trip on the Mary Day and then B & B's all the way back to Boston. Hey it's your honeymoon - anywhere is romantic!

tinamidon May 21st, 2004 11:00 AM

Camden. Is the Norumbega Inn still there? If so it is GORGEOUS!