Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What's the least one should expect from a Travel Agent?

Old Sep 30th, 2006, 07:50 PM
samting

We have had both; good and bad. The last one (from Carson Travelit) was just terrible; messed up our tickets, was almost never available, couldn't answer any questions and the worst part, seemed totally interested in our business. Too bad, as we are looking for someone knowledgeable and local who could help us out with our frequent travels. I guess we just took certain things for granted with her...she gave us options, researched issues and problems, had creative ideas for side trips, always found the best prices, air tickets, etc. So what is the least we should expect from a new one?

Old Sep 30th, 2006, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The least you should expect from a Travel Agent is to pay for the price quote they gave you.

I have received good airfare deals from a travel agent, but at the same time horrible, horrible hotel accomodations.

I tend to not use travel agents if need be, and only use them for select specials fares their company may offer. I have friends who are travel agents and are great and I ask them for advice, but TAs I don't know? whole nother story....
Old Sep 30th, 2006, 09:19 PM

At least to reply to my phone and e-messages in timely manner!

(I used a travel agent to get a 10% tour discount)
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 09:03 AM

It depends on how much you're paying them.

If you're paying them a substantial fee for a personalized itinerary then you should expect knowledge of the area you're going to, prompt attention, good recommendations and accurate planning.

If you're going to a chain shop for just airline tickets - you can expect them to give you tickets to the right city with your name correct. Period.

As with anything else - you get what you pay for (if you;re lucky and choose carefully).
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 09:08 AM

I only used one once, but my feeling is that they should be able to connect what you want out of a trip with the right destination and make it happen.

If you're looking for a quiet relaxing spot, they shouldn't suggest Las Vegas.
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 10:16 AM

Travel agents are paid absolutely tiny salaries in most large agencies (little more then counter kids at Mickey Ds) and most have done very little travel.

Unless you go to a professional, experienced agent and pay a reasonable fee it's not realistic to expect them to pick a destination for you - since they haven't been to most of them.
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 10:38 AM

Perhaps you're right. I guess because I find it relatively simple to book hotels, travel, etc. on my own, that for me to use a TA, they would have to provide something additional to make it "worthwhile".

The one time I did use one, it was for a trip to Hawaii. She was very helpful in deciding which islands to visit based on our interests. I know many agencies are turning into "corporate" and/or "government" agencies because they can't survive on vacation trips like they used to.
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 01:01 PM

That is why I do all the booking and planning myself. And with research I get great deals and bargains. Cannot understand why someone would pay a TA and pay all the extra money when it is so easy to do it now yourself. Guess if you have the money and no time. Not for me.