What's the difference between Kaanapali and Lahaina

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2007, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am debating between staying in one of these areas...I will be traveling alone, so would like to be around people, not necessarily a big "night life" but opportunities to be social I am also interested in snorkeling, hiking etc.

How far are these two places from each other? I will be renting a car but after reading these boards, I wonder if I should worry about traffic. I am going the first week in April!
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 08:43 AM

Kaanapali is a planned resort area a couple of miles north of Lahaina, which is an actual town. Stay in Kaanapali and visit Lahaina. Don't let the traffic issues worry you. Traffic snarls are a fact of life on many of the Hawaiian these days. Just put the top down and breath deeply...you're in Hawaii.
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 10:25 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Solo, I would choose to stay right in Lahaina. I know it's not to everyone's tast but I like to be right IN a town when I'm traveling by myself. Lahaina is a bit "honkey tonk" but fun imo. Also for me personally, I absolutey hate "resorts" and would not want to be stuck at one.
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 10:49 AM

I would also stay in Kaanapali and visit Lahaina. But then I do like resorts. I really like all the restaurants and shops in Kaanapli and the nice pathway along the beach. I think good opportunities exist to be social by signing up for one of the snorkeling or biking tours.
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 07:08 PM

The main difference between the two is that Kaanapali is a planned area of resorts and condos on an absolutely perfect beach. It's expensive.

Lahaina, a real town with a colorful history, is on the water but has no real beach (especially compared to Lahaina), but as a result is very reasonable price-wise. You are, however, within walking distance to several stores and restaurants.

If you can afford staying in Kaanapali, I would stay there and visit Lahaina.
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 07:09 PM

Oh, and as far as distance - I guess they're about 2 miles apart.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 04:01 AM

There is a free Trolley that runs to many of the hotels in the area and is a great way to have those Lava Flows without having to worry about a designated driver!
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 04:02 AM

Double check the free part...I remember it being free but it may have been the Lava Flows...or was it the MAi Tai.....either way...have a great trip and check out Warren and Annabelle's for a great show. Even if magic isnt your thing you will love this one!
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 06:20 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think everyone' given you great advice and sums it up nicely. Just a matter if you want to stay in a "real" town or at a resort area.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much! I am debating now between k.shores "resort" or the valley of isles condo...