What's the best way for teen to take cash to Europe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My teenage son is going on an exchange program to Sweden in a couple months. What is the best way to give him funds? Prepaid debit card? ATM card? Travellers checks?
Also, what about travellers insurance? (The Swedish student visiting us got a broken arm while here in the states.)
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 07:16 PM

You've posted this on the US board instead of the Europe board. Travelers' Checks are a pain in the butt. If you trust him not to lose one, I'd give him an debit card. Its really easy to take money out at ATMs.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 07:24 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
2 ATM cards from 2 different banks. My daughter is studying in Spain and had to buy a major medical health policy for five months to get her visa. I looked at various companies and went with HTH. www.insuremytrip.com
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 09:01 AM

One ATM card and one credit card is all he needs. Ideally, these would both be "joint accounts" so you can make sure he isn't going broke.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 10:00 AM

I would check with someone with the exchange program. It could be that they have enough experience with the destination that they can advise you about what works best in that area.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 10:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I just did this for my son. At Bank of America, he had a student savings account, but you can't get a visa logo atm card with that -- only an atm card, which doesn't work at atms abroad.

So I marched him into the bank and we opened a joint checking account that's tied to my other accounts, so I could go online, monitor, and transfer funds when needed. He gets the perks of an atm card that he can use abroad, and I have the perk of watching what he's spending MY money on!
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 10:19 AM

Check with your family's health insurer. They sometimes cover minor chidren on this type of program - but it differs from one company to another and one plan to another. If not - ask the plan sponsor - they should have info on the options - and possible group deals.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 11:19 AM

I opened a joint account with my son so I can add money if needed, check the balance and have control, just don't mention "control" to him

Yes, health insurance is a must. Check with your provider if your child is covered internationally. If not, buy a travel health insurance. And make sure you know how it works. Some insurances require out-of-pocket payments with later reimbursements.

When my son got flu in Germany and spent a night in a hospital the cost was $250, we got a reimbursement check later. I think we had Cigna at the time.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 11:24 AM

I have had problems with banks being open, cards not being accepted, travelers checks being refused...I sent CASH with my daughters. They wore a money belt under their clothes and carried 3/4 of it in there and we hid some in a film canister in their carry-on as well. Mydaughters have made 3 trips overseas and 3 within the US with school groups and this has served them well.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 11:28 AM

oops. I just noticed this is an exchange...so I'm guessing it is an extended period of time. My daughter is leaving in August for a year long program and we are sending cash for the first few days and a credit card to use an ATM when that runs out. When our kids went in HS the German teacher advised against debit cards and visa buxx cards saying some kids had trouble with those. We are getting our college aged daughter a regular visa and will have the bill sent home so we can take care of it for her. (she will have a limit, of course!!)
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 11:53 AM

Our Kaiser plan covers emergency medical costs in Europe via reimbursement, and it paid without question a visit to the American Clinic (U.S. prices) in Budapest. The operative word is "emergency". Years ago, our Blue Cross/Blue Shield plan covered five days of hospitalization for my wife, again via reimbursement. So check with your medical insurance company for coverage.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 01:32 PM

My neice has been in Copenhagen since last August. She has a debit card and a credit card. Her dad checks her balance and deposits her allowance in her account and she just gets cash at ATM's or what ever, or uses the card for purchases. You might check with the exchange program for Sweden. In Denmark everyone can get medical care whether you are a citizen or not. Also, her father's insurance covers her because she is a student. I have an aquaintance who has a friend in Copenhagen. She went to visit her friend and has had two free face lifts..I should have thought of that while I was there right after Christmas.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 02:36 PM

People are assuming their health insurance will cover but each policy is different and they change yearly. In the past, our health insurance covered us in other countries. but our employer changed companies this year and we discovered we are no longer covered out of the country. When you apply for a visa, the consulate (in our case Spain )makes you produce a letter from your insurance company, with the visa application, stating you are covered. Does you son have to get a visa?
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 02:41 PM

cash from ATM's - however you can work it.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. Your answers provided great solutions.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 11:44 AM

the best way for teen to carry cash anywhere, is for the parent to carry it for them. it ensures its not wasted on useless senseless items.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 11:51 AM

Travel insurance that covers the duration of a trip is inexpensive and it covers the cost of air transport back to the US in case it is needed.
It also provdes the added benefit of providing a translator who can deal with doctors and hospitals in case you need them. Sweden has a high rate of English-speakers, but I still think it's worth it.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 02:11 PM

The insurance: you were given some good sites to check, but thought I'd mention if you have an American Express card, they offer a medical travel coverage which we take out annually - it covers all 4 of us for around $150 for the year - it covers all medical, emergencies, evacuation, etc for any of us, anywhere - what it also covers, which I like best, is if my son became sick somewhere, it flies one of us (either me or my husband) to him or him home.

You might want to look into this - whether you get if for this year, or if you think he (and if you and family members travel whether on business or for fun) it gives me peace of mind.

Otherwise, thru Amex you can alaso price out AcessAmerica's prices when comparing for specific travel coverage. They just covered the 4 of us for 3 weeks in Switzerland for everything from delayed baggage money, flight changes, if we had to cancel or come home early for illness, etc - that whole part of travel - and they base it on the figures you provide for what your hotels, air, etc cost you -

Money for our son: who has done 3 trips to uerope thru school and on his own, include an Amex card I give him with his name on it only when he travels for huge emergencies or shipping something home for insurance, tracking purposes, etc that is attached to my account - very few traveler checks (maybe $200) - and an ATM card/acct he can access from there and I can put money into from here - and his own MasterCard he has with a small limit on it, but if he needed more or had to use up his money for some reason, I can always pay it off from here via phone or online.

Hope he has a blast in Sweden !! and it is the first of many more wonderful trips for him.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 02:23 PM

AFS has a website where things like this are posted. . . go to the sending bulletin board.

When I went abroad it was for a full year and I had insurance through my program. However, STA offers really fantastic travel insurance for those under 25. He should also get an STA card if he won't have a student card from his exchange program.

How long is he gone? If it is for a year, I suggest opening a bank account in Sweden. Many of their banks give great student rates and it is easy to transfer funds into the account from yours. When I arrived in Spain, I had $1000 in travelers checks and I put $700 directly into the account (you deposit them like regular checks) and kept $300 for emergencies and other travel. That covered me for the first few months. Then again, Spain was so cheap back then.

One thing about the account, though: do not send him real checks to deposit! If you do, they will take weeks to clear. My Dad made that mistake once and I was broke for 2 full weeks. Luckily, my host parents helped me out until the money came through, but not all hosts are like that.

Claire
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 02:34 PM

The card Claire is talking about is ISIC (www.isic.org)and is sold by STA (www.statravel.com) which is a student travel agency. If you book your airline tickets through them, you can change the return flight dates for a $25 fee which is much cheaper than usual. ISIC cards get students discount in many museums and is recognized all over Europe.

I think we are long past the days of travelers checks though. Make sure the credit card and atm accounts know your child is traveling. I told my daughter to call them before she left, and of course, she didn't. I got a call from her credit card company today because things were being charged overseas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -