Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What’s the best place for a vacation in USA?

Old Apr 5th, 2022, 11:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello guys, Hope you are doing well, I want to spend vacation with my family, can anyone suggest to me the best city in the USA to spend the holidays. I want to visit with my wife and children the most adventurous places to explore things and also for the children for fun and enjoyment. I plan for a trip in June. So please guide me to what are some best places and which city in the USA you recommend to me. I am living in New Jersey.
Old Apr 6th, 2022, 12:14 AM

Age of children?
How many children?
What do they like? Beaches, amusement parks, history, cultural events, museums, hiking, water sports, small towns, cities, National parks, countryside, somewhere hot or cooler, etc? Is this for relaxation or sightseeing?
Do you want to drive or fly?
If drive, how far are you willing to drive?
How many days for the trip?
Are you planning on hotels, camping, Airbnb? Resort, place to make your own food?
Do you want to travel about and see different places or settle into one place?
Old Apr 6th, 2022, 01:53 AM
Original Poster

My children's age are under 15.
I have 2 little children.
We are interested to go on Beaches, amusement parks, museums, hiking, water sports.
We plan for a road trip live in New Jersey.
We plan for 15 days trip.
Yes, we will stay in hotel.
We want to explore different places
Old Apr 6th, 2022, 08:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hawaii. Or San Diego.
Old Apr 6th, 2022, 08:49 AM

It's a road trip.
I may be wrong but I feel as if the OP may be a visitor from abroad. I would suggest a road trip down the east coast. Maybe something like this.
Washington DC for 3 days
Drive west to Charlottesville VA . Spend 2 days
Drive south to Smokey Mountain National Park. Spend 2-3 days, There are amusement parks in that area.
Drive south to Charleston SC. Spend some time in the city and the beach.
Drive back to NJ
Old Apr 6th, 2022, 09:07 AM

Gretchen, that's a great road trip. Here are some sights at each stop.

Washington, DC. There are over 20 Smithsonian museums including the Space and Science Museum, new Museum of African American History, and Museum of the American Indian. You can see the sacrosanct Declaration of Independence in the National Archives. Tour the historic Mount Vernon, home to George Washington. Explore the National Zoo, one of the best zoos in America and the National Arboretum and Botanic Garden. Reflect or pray in the National Cathedral. Explore the amazing gardens of the Franciscan Monastery. Visit the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts and the International Spy Museum. Eat El Salvadoran food. Go to Adams-Morgan neighborhood for foods from around the world. Explore historic Georgetown. The Lincoln Memorial is the most popular tourist attraction in the city.

Charlottesville, VA. Tour the campus of the University of Virginia which was founded by Thomas Jefferson in 1819.. Visit the 1826 Rotunda and wander around the Fralin Museum of Art on campus. Tour Monticello, Jefferson’s home and James Madison’s home, Ash Lawn-Highland. Check out the restaurants in the lively downtown. Have a drink in the 1784 Michie Tavern and eat southern cuisine.

Charleston. This city exudes Old South atmosphere with a Gullah culture flare. Its historic homes dating from the early 1800s and late 1700s line brick streets and are surrounded by lush foliage. Take a walk or a drive in a horse-drawn carriage through the Historic District, with its veranda-fronted mansions and slender church towers. Explore Francis Beidler Forest, an old growth Cypress swamp (20 miles west). Sunbathe or beachcomb at Folly Beach County Park. View the 1681 Boone Hall Plantation set on 783 acres. Eat Lowcountry cuisine. Walk along the famous Charleston Battery. Wander around the 1804 Charleston City Market.
Old Apr 6th, 2022, 11:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
June is a good time to drive north to Maine, before the summer tourist crowds start to invade (last week of June).

For amusement parks visit Six Flags New England in Springfield Massachusetts and spend a couple of nights at Old Orchard Beach Maine. There is also Canobie Lake Park in New Hampshire and for the smaller children, Santa's Village.

For hiking visit Acadia National Park and stay in Bar Harbor Maine. There is also some nice hiking around Camden Hills State Park in mid-coast Maine and some nice lakes to visit for safe swimming (Lake St George State Park in Liberty Maine).
Old Apr 6th, 2022, 11:30 AM

If staying along the Eastern part of the US as Gretchen suggested, you could visit:
Amusement Parks: Busch Gardens near Williamsburg VA, Hershey Park PA, Dollywood near Pigeon Forge TN
Beaches/Water Sports: All along the Eastern Seaboard - Myrtle Beach SC, Folly Beach SC, etc.
Hiking: Blue Ridge Mountains near Asheville NC - beautiful views, hiking trails, river rafting the French Broad River, swimming in or boating on lakes, good food
Museums: Washington DC
Historical sites: Mt. Vernon, Old Williamsburg or Yorktown VA, Gettysburg PA, Kitty Hawk NC, Charleston SC

These are only a few suggestions; there are many things to see & experience in each state alone. Perhaps you could plan out a loop, starting from your home and returning home from another direction. For example, go South into VA as far as NC for the beaches, then drive across the state to Asheville NC for the hiking in the Blue Ridge Mts. & water sports on the rivers & lakes. Continue towards home, stopping in Gettysburg, Hershey PA or Washington DC. You'll have to pick one or two activities that are most important to you to see & do; time goes quickly and you may not be able to see all you wish in one trip. Perhaps have children choose what is the one favorite activity they wish to see (Beach, Amusement park, etc.) & parents do the same. Then fill in the rest.
Old Apr 6th, 2022, 12:27 PM

Either drive or fly to Florida, like thousands before you, for amusement parks and beaches close to one another. Or fly to California for amusement parks and beaches although you need a wetsuit most of the year to swim in the Pacific Ocean. Most other places you are going to have to compromise. Have you asked your kids what they would like?
Old Apr 6th, 2022, 12:33 PM

Given that you are from New Jersey, I would want to avoid large urban areas. My favorite memories at that age were seeing/doing a wide variety of activities.
Maybe the trip will spark interests/hobbies/passions in your kids. I'm listing several things you can do in each area, which you can select based on the time you have available and age/interest level...

Day 1/2/3 - Hershey/Gettysburg, PA
Hershey World, Hersheypark Amusement Park, Harley-Davidson Factory Tour, Amish country, Gettysburg Civil War Museum/Visitor Center

Day 4/5/6 - Charlottesville, VA area
Monticello, Frontier Culture Museum, VMI, Blue Ridge Parkway, Natural Bridge, Caverns

Day 7/8/9 - Asheville, NC
Biltmore, Chimney Rock, hiking, rafting, kayaking

Day 10-14 - Charleston, SC
Beaches, historic downtown Charleston, Patriot's Point, boat excursions, Fort Sumter, plantations, parasailing/jet skis

Day 15 - Richmond, VA
Overnight stop on way home
Old Apr 6th, 2022, 11:06 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
From New Jersey, another good direction for a two-week road trip would be going north into the New England states. Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine. You could stay at hotels or rent cabins on a lake or the ocean. Beautiful states with all kinds of opportunities for swimming, hiking, etc. Especially in June would likely be a bit cooler heading north, than going to the southern states?
Old Apr 7th, 2022, 01:11 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PrairieHikerII View Post
Gretchen, that's a great road trip. Here are some sights at each stop.

Washington, DC. There are over 20 Smithsonian museums including the Space and Science Museum, new Museum of African American History, and Museum of the American Indian. You can see the sacrosanct Declaration of Independence in the National Archives. Tour the historic Mount Vernon, home to George Washington. Explore the National Zoo, one of the best zoos in America and the National Arboretum and Botanic Garden. Reflect or pray in the National Cathedral. Explore the amazing gardens of the Franciscan Monastery. Visit the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts and the International Spy Museum. Eat El Salvadoran food. Go to Adams-Morgan neighborhood for foods from around the world. Explore historic Georgetown. The Lincoln Memorial is the most popular tourist attraction in the city.

Charlottesville, VA. Tour the campus of the University of Virginia which was founded by Thomas Jefferson in 1819.. Visit the 1826 Rotunda and wander around the Fralin Museum of Art on campus. Tour Monticello, Jefferson’s home and James Madison’s home, Ash Lawn-Highland. Check out the restaurants in the lively downtown. Have a drink in the 1784 Michie Tavern and eat southern cuisine.

Charleston. This city exudes Old South atmosphere with a Gullah culture flare. Its historic homes dating from the early 1800s and late 1700s line brick streets and are surrounded by lush foliage. Take a walk or a drive in a horse-drawn carriage through the Historic District, with its veranda-fronted mansions and slender church towers. Explore Francis Beidler Forest, an old growth Cypress swamp (20 miles west). Sunbathe or beachcomb at Folly Beach County Park. View the 1681 Boone Hall Plantation set on 783 acres. Eat Lowcountry cuisine. Walk along the famous Charleston Battery. Wander around the 1804 Charleston City Market.

Thank you so much for your suggestion.
Old Apr 7th, 2022, 03:21 AM

Our nation's capital is a treasure trove of sights to see and many are free. It is a delight and education for parents and children alike. And don't forget the zoo also.