Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   WHAT'S SO GREAT ABOUT PUNTA GORDA [FL] (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/what-s-so-great-about-punta-gorda-fl-364475/)

flopmeister Oct 8th, 2003 07:08 AM

WHAT'S SO GREAT ABOUT PUNTA GORDA [FL]

I've seen now that a new ranking on most liveable cities in the U.S. ranks Punta Gorda, FL, number 3, behind San Diego and Denver. What's the story with this town, and how come I've never heard of it before??!!

GoTravel Oct 8th, 2003 09:08 AM

Reasonable cost of living, mild climate (winter), above par amenities for a small town.

Patrick Oct 8th, 2003 02:50 PM

I'd agree with the first two mentioned by GoTravel, but I'm unaware of any great "amenities" there other than the proliferation of golf courses, outlet shopping, and the accessibility to the Gulf of Mexico.

GoTravel Oct 8th, 2003 03:54 PM

Patrick, those amenities can be as obscure as the variety of churches/synogogues and hospitals per capita as well as cultural amenities.

jaye Oct 8th, 2003 03:58 PM

flopmeister,
That is a $65,000 question coming from a person who lives about one hour north of Punta Gorda. (south Sarasota County) I have never understood why publications are so enthralled with Punta Gorda. Yes, it has mild winters, but brutal southern summers, loads of golf, many many senior citizens and activities geared to that group and is low cost in terms of housing. It in no way compares to San Diego or Denver. Just a completely different living situation.

LN Oct 8th, 2003 06:54 PM

I looked in Punta Gorda at their homes, and lots on which to build a home. Then I looked to see what the area had to offer and really, outside of golf courses in many communities, Charlotte Bay and very few good restaurants.

I ended up by Sarasota also - who can complain - good restaurants - theatre - the arts - fantastic beaches. I know!! I know!! We didn't make it to number 3!!

I've also heard that Punta Gorda is "God's Little waiting Room"

wemr Oct 8th, 2003 07:57 PM

OOh God, I hate waiting rooms. This must be a mistake.

Patrick Oct 8th, 2003 08:02 PM

OK, students, here is your assignment for the day. Find a city in Florida that has NOT been called God's waiting room.

wemr Oct 8th, 2003 08:13 PM

Patrick, You just convinced me never to go to Florida.

Patrick Oct 8th, 2003 08:21 PM

Hey, I didn't say it WAS God's waiting room, only that it is called that. Often people have the mistaken idea that all of Florida is for old people. I've even heard it said about South Beach, even though it is one of the youngest and liveliest places around.

flopmeister Oct 9th, 2003 11:28 AM

My grandmother used to say Florida will one day sink into the Atlantic from all the people who now live there [even if they are waiting, as it were]. It is the 3rd most populated state. Sad, really, when you consider all the natural beauty that has been developed into boxes like PetSmart and Old Navy.

Patrick Oct 9th, 2003 11:32 AM

Interesting point, flobmeister, but as opposed to what areas that haven't? I live within 15 minutes of the gigantic Everglades National Park -- a true rustic and undeveloped wilderness. Every morning I am able to walk for a couple of miles on a wide white sand beach with no high rises. And within 5 minutes of my house in downtown Naples, I can kyack through rustic mangroves filled with wildlife and natural beauty. And where do you live?

mrt Oct 9th, 2003 01:28 PM

Nothing. Everyone is old.

Intrepid Oct 10th, 2003 03:59 AM

Patrick, I'd really like to see you kayaking someday..I hear you look absolutely stunning in your KoalaSwim thong! :)

LilMsFoodie Oct 10th, 2003 04:06 AM

Money Magazine still rates this little place? Well, it is improving slightly over 9 years ago when I moved there and lived there for a few years. Its charms are lost on me: no theatre, no movie theatre, miserable restaurants, tiny little third tier hospital, invisible retail environment. What it does have is many deep water canals so you can park your boat behind your home. Many homes built in the 60's and 70's are being torn down to put up McMansions. Most of the residents drive south to Fort Myers or Naples or north to Sarasota to do shopping and enjoy cultural activities. IMO it has a long way to go and to list it with Denver and San Diego is truly astonishing to me. LMF