Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   What's new in Portland??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/whats-new-in-portland-562469/)

stormygirl Oct 4th, 2005 09:28 AM

What's new in Portland???

Friends and I are heading to Portland and North Willamette wine country this weekend and plan to do some shopping! What's new as far as great boutiques, housewares shops, bars, lunch places, etc?

We are staying at the Mariott on Broadway....

sunbum1944 Oct 4th, 2005 09:58 AM

There is a new shopping area called Bridgeport Village with lots of nice stores and restaurants - its designed more like a California mall so have to walk from store to store outside - didnt get to spend enough time there but going back soon.
you would have to drive there from downtown- Lake Oswego exit - there is a new Crate and Barrel there which is new for Portland

pdxgirl Oct 4th, 2005 10:00 AM

Seems like there are new shops and restaurants opening every week in the Pearl District. I'd head over there and just start wandering around. Check out www.ShopthePearl.com for a list of places.

Fodorite018 Oct 4th, 2005 10:29 AM

Bridgeport is definitely the new place to go. I was just there yesterday with friends. Sunbum gave a good run down of it. The exit is #290, and it is to the right as you get off the exit.

beachbum Oct 4th, 2005 10:32 AM

I expect you're down here to taste Willamette Valley wines, stormygirl, but there are a couple new wine shops in town you might take a look at: Vinopolis on SW Washington St. downtown, and Square Deal Wine Company next to St. Honore's Boulangerie at 23rd and Thurman. Square Deal in particular, has a good story to tell. Also, if you're into martinis, a bar named The Vault opened in the Pearl within the last six months or so.

Please write a trip report. I've read enough of your posts to know to respect your opinions. Have you got any private tastings lined up?

stormygirl Oct 4th, 2005 10:51 AM

You guys this is exactly the info I was looking for! Thanks!

We aren't going to any private tastings but are visting Anne Amie, Domaine Drouhin, Lange and JKCarriere. All have open tasting rooms now which is nice.

The Vault sounds right up my ally........ :)

kimamom Oct 4th, 2005 12:33 PM

Domaine Drouhin is very nice as is Archery Summit which I highly recommend. We enjoyed lunch at the Dundee Bistro before we began our wine tasting. I believe that the tasting fee at AS was about $10 to taste four wines, but totally worth it. :)

Cheers and enjoy the day! We ended up at Wildwood for dinner after our afternoon in the wine country. ***kim*** ((*))

beachbum Oct 4th, 2005 12:37 PM

You didn't say anything about dinner, but Olea is one of the new restaurants in the Pearl making a bit of a splash. I can't personally recommend since I haven't been yet, but know that the chef is formerly of French Laundry.

Also haven't been or tasted anything from Anne Amie, so will be curious to read what you think. And since it's nearby, you might check out Cuneo in Carlton, and just for fun, Carlton Winemaker's Studio next door.

LadyOLeisure Oct 4th, 2005 12:49 PM

Carleton Winemakers' Studio is charming. Wish we'd not stopped there until afternoon, and had lunch there. (It was our first stop at about 10AM). I was really surprised by the sometimes "hefty" tasting fees...I'm not used to that at all. But it is beautiful country and you'll love it for sure.

stormygirl Oct 4th, 2005 01:22 PM

I go to north willamette at least once a year so have been to the places mentioned, Anne Amie use to be Ch. Benoit, new owners, wine and attitude so it's the new one for me this time. We collect mainly Pinot and have for over 4 years now. We definately have our favorites but are always looking for new styles. DD, Lange and JKC are our tried and true go to wines. We'll be eating at Tina's in the area on Saturday night. And we always have lunch at Dundee Bistro too.

Friday night I have friends who are friends with the owners of Noble Rot in Portland so we are eating there.

Do you know if Olea is open for lunch?? Sounds like a great new spot!

Scarlett Oct 4th, 2005 03:10 PM

Hi Stormygirl,
Whats new in Portland?
Me! :)

Olea is only open for dinner.
I second Bridgeport Village for shopping.
I recommend my neighborhood (the Pearl) for shopping also. It seems new places are opening every day. (someone must have told them a new shopper was moving in!)
Vault is near my apt, we really like stopping by in the late afternoon with pup and having their Blood Orange Margarita, the Yankee says their regular old fashioned Martini is the best he has ever had ..

Check this site too :

http://portlandtribune.com/pearl/

kimamom Oct 4th, 2005 03:39 PM

Olea is open M-Sun. from 3-11, so maybe a late lunch would work. You can also make ressies on Open Table for Olea. A nice convenient way to make reservations and you get dining points. ***kim*** ((f))

beachbum Oct 4th, 2005 04:13 PM

A couple websites show Olea's hours as 5:00pm - midnight. Regardless of if it opens earlier, don't spoil your appetite for Noble Rot.

Yeah, I read that Anne Amie was formerly Chateau Benoit. Hope they have a better idea!

Enjoy your weekend here. The weather is supposed to be decent.

Scarlett Oct 4th, 2005 04:24 PM

kim, Olea is around the corner from my apt. They are not open for lunch.
you can call and check if you wish, 503.274.0800

Fodorite018 Oct 4th, 2005 04:38 PM

Scarlett--Vault is our next outing, ok? A Blood Orange Margarita sounds really good! I will just have DH come retrieve me after work, lol!

Scarlett Oct 4th, 2005 04:42 PM

Absolutely! They love Pup so he can come too LOL
He takes his water straight up ((&))

We had lunch at Henrys the other day, in the back room that was nice and quiet. It is really a treat, their food is fresh and good and service is excellent. A great spot to relax and enjoy lunch and let your shopping feet recover :)

Scarlett Oct 4th, 2005 04:45 PM

Actually, stormygirl, have you been to Pho Van? A great spot for lunch on a chilly damp day..the soups and noodle dishes are warming and the atmosphere is lovely.

Patrick Oct 4th, 2005 05:06 PM

Ah, Pho Van. Had a daily special there for lunch -- a wonderful filet of salmon beautifully seasoned atop a bowl of steaming noodles and veggies in a heavenly broth. Pacific Northwest and Vietnamese all rolled into one!

pdxgirl Oct 5th, 2005 07:08 AM

I LOVE Pho Van. Oba! is also open for lunch. It is one of my favorite restaurants in Portland. I had lunch there on Saturday with my sis.

beachbum Oct 5th, 2005 07:23 AM

I wish you guys would stop talking up Pho Van. They might finally realize just how good they really are, and start jacking up prices. For the quality of the food, I think it's one of the best values in town (at least the one in Beaverton, where we usually go).