Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   What's left to do besides pack? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/whats-left-to-do-besides-pack-307262/)

bogart Apr 15th, 2003 06:09 AM

What's left to do besides pack?

We will be leaving for Hawaii in about a month. woohoo!!! Now that the research is pretty much done (I've read both Maui Revealed and Ultimate Guide to Kauai cover to cover and made notes) and we are all booked...is there anything else we can do to get ready? <BR><BR>I'm working on an itinerary...I just want to be organized so we can optimize our time for activities and R&amp;R. <BR><BR>Anything else we can do to prepare? My husband is thinking about making his tee times for the Plantation Course and The Prince before we leave...is this a good idea? Also, should we consider making some dinner reservations so we can be sure to get a table with a sunset view? I hear that the Beach House on Kauai especially fills up quickly. <BR><BR>I know, the type A is coming out in me...I promise to relax when we get there...:-)<BR><BR>

Doug Apr 15th, 2003 06:40 AM

While you'll need to make a reservation to get a sunset table at the Beach House, you don't need to make it this far in advance. My wife and I made ours 3-4 days before and were fine....but that was Feb., May may be more crowded.<BR><BR>Of course if you know right now what day you want to eat there, guess it couldn't hurt to make the reservation now.

Kal Apr 15th, 2003 06:52 AM

bog,<BR>Try what Mrs Kal does when she starts &quot;nuttin' up&quot; before we are off to Kauai...7 deep breaths with the thought of a Polihale sunset over Niihau.<BR>It never hurts to have reservations, tho.<BR>Just remember as one person mentioned earlier on another Kauai post, once your feet touch down on the red dirt of Kauai, &quot;chill out&quot;! ;-))<BR>Kal

HaveVisaWillTravel Apr 15th, 2003 08:12 AM

Don't miss a retaurant by the name of &quot;Roy's&quot; on Maui. Truly an excellent dining experience. And don't worry, you won't have to remind yourself to relax in Hawaii, from the time your get off the airplane, you breathe in the essence of these beautiful islands and are forever changed by them. I could spend ten days, with only a book and a beach chair and not be a titch bored. Enjoy, I wish I was there now... and again, don't miss out on Roy's when you want to treat yourself to a nice dinner.

Suzie Apr 15th, 2003 08:32 AM

I suggest two CDs that will help start the relaxation mode early:<BR><BR>Facing Future by<BR>Israel &quot;IZ&quot; Kamakawiwo'ole<BR><BR>And<BR><BR>Melelana<BR>Keali 'i Reichel <BR><BR>Both are fabulous. I turn them on when the day has not gone as well as it could have. We recently got new speakers so the kids are starting to aks me to turn it down!

bogart Apr 15th, 2003 12:52 PM

Thanks for all the tips!<BR><BR>We will probably skip Roy's...we ate at the Roys in Baltimore recently for my birthday. We absolutely loved it, but there are so many other wonderful places to eat as well. <BR><BR>Suzie, thank you for the cd recs!! I can't wait to check them out.

uuhhhh Apr 15th, 2003 01:53 PM

start tanning now<BR><BR>buy some mai-tai mix....and use it<BR><BR>tear up your itinerary and start over again. really doesn't matter. chances are most of it will go out the window once you get a whiff of a plumeria blossom anyway.

iceeu2 Apr 15th, 2003 02:45 PM

A tad of advice on the packing...don't overpack...Kauai is so laid back...we have decided the next time, very soon I hope, we get 2 swimsuits, 3 pairs of shorts, and 6 t shirts each plus a zillion pairs of shoes for me and sandals and hiking boots for the hubby. Of course, go to Tropical Tantrum in the Marriott or to the one in Kapaa and buy you a cute little number to wear to dinner at The Beach House, be sure to include those way too expensive sandals to complete the outfit. Don't pack those heavy beach towels! Trust me! You make me want to cry.........I'm ready to go back and we have only been home since March 26th.<BR>Have a wonderful time, and do be sure to go to the Barbeque Inn in Lihue - the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook does not list it, but it is super!

Kal Apr 15th, 2003 03:36 PM

Iz' &quot;Over the Rainbow&quot; still gives me goosebumps. (&quot;ER&quot;).<BR><BR>We also drop by the local liquor store and pick up some &quot;minis&quot; for our coffees on the way over. Want to keep the blood thin and not throw a clot, ya know. Strictly medicinal!<BR><BR>Roy's in &quot;Balmer&quot;??? We may be back there for the 49er game in Nov. Where's it located? Inner Harbor?<BR>Dr. Kahuna

GoTravel Apr 15th, 2003 04:36 PM

A friend had IZ's &quot;Over the Rainbow&quot; played at her father's funeral. I can't even describe it.

Kal Apr 15th, 2003 04:56 PM

GoT, thx for the goosebumps again.<BR>Great song.

msmiller Apr 15th, 2003 05:17 PM

Another book I'd suggest is &quot;Hidden Hawaii.&quot; We thought the tips there for little side trips while you travel around were great, and felt we saw more stuff. Maybe the same type of things as in Maui Revealed, don't know.<BR><BR>We discovered Roy's restaurants on the Big Island, and ate there and on Maui (we had already left Kauai, or we probably would have gone to that one, too!) Absolutely fabulous. A couple of years ago we happened to be in Tampa, FL, and went to the Roy's there, although we didn't think it could possibly measure up to the Hawaii experience. But, the food was outstanding--ambience, however, can't compare w/ Hawaii...there are lots of Roy's on the mainland now.

pspercy Apr 15th, 2003 08:37 PM

Pack no more than half what you think you'll need. After arrival, you might also find that some of those &quot;must do&quot; activities and their timetables just kinda sorta don't seem so important anymore !

bogart Apr 16th, 2003 04:46 AM

That version of 'Over the Rainbow' gives me the chills too. sigh...<BR><BR>Kal, Roys is located near the Inner Harbor off of President's street. There's a new section of hotels and such down that way, just before you make the left onto Fleet Street and follow into Fells Point. We had a great time when we were there! The food was delish and we saw Joaquin Phoenix. I know it can't compare with a Roy's in Hawaii. <BR><BR>I did borrow Hidden Hawaii from a friend.<BR><BR>Thanks again for all the tips! I'm enjoying the Hawaii daydreaming...<BR><BR>Oh, and a co-worker of mine just returned from the Big Island. They took their kids and mentioned that they roasted marshmallows over the hot lava. I thought that was a hoot!

GoTravel Apr 16th, 2003 06:51 AM

bogart, I think the Roy's in Hawaii are very different from the ones on the mainland because Roy still outright owns those. The ones on the mainland are a joint partnership with Outback Steakhouse. Roy pretty much invented Pan-Asian-Fusion.<BR><BR>Kal, anytime.

Suzie Apr 16th, 2003 07:53 AM

Yes, the Over the Rainbow version is haunting but it's at the end of the cd so you are taken through Hawaii '78 which is equally haunting, White Sandy Beach of Hawaii and Take Me Home Country Road which is a terrific (Hawaiian) version of John Denver's tune. Actually there isn't a song on this cd that I don't look forward to hearing.<BR><BR>Keali'i Reichel has a great voice and most of his songs are in Hawaiian. It'll put you in the mood just like the scent of plumeria or a mai tai will! ; ) <BR><BR><BR>

Chitravel Apr 20th, 2003 01:07 PM

A note on restaurant reservations: Maybe my experience was unusual, but I am also a Type A planner, and made reservations approximately 1 month before my trip at restaurants for every night of our trip (Beach House, Roy's, etc.), but none of the restaurants had any record of our reservations when we showed up. On the first night, I thought it was a fluke, but this occurred at every restaurant, including ones that I had called later (2 weeks prior to the trip) to confirm. In each case, the hostess seemed taken aback that I had made reservations so far in advance - I wonder if I would have had better luck waiting until closer to the date of arrival to make reservations as it does not seem to be the norm to plan them so far ahead of time.

sail10 Apr 20th, 2003 06:22 PM

Kauai make Kee beach and the ridge hike there along with great snorkle bay a must on kauai 1 /2 to 3/4 day. Second hike the grand canyon of kauai in concert with helicopter flight 1/2 to 3/4 day.<BR><BR>Maui do the zodiac snorkle trip in the morning and the sail( catamaran)dinner cruise for a great day. Make whalers village in kaanapail a 1/2 day outing, snorkle black rock, relax on the beach and shop in a great open air area, then eat lunch or dinner on the beach along the boardwalk all within whalers village. nick