Search

What´s fun in LA?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 12:10 AM
karoline

What´s fun in LA?

Me and a (girl)friend are going to LA for two weeks in nov/dec. We´ll probably be staying at the Banana Bungalow (if you don´t have any better suggestions?) and would like to dance, dine and shop til we drop! Where do we go? We want fun and experiences a little out of the ordinary (and we love vintage clothes btw).
And oh, we´re sort of on a budget too... (We won´t be starving, but you know...)
So, do you have some tips for us? In that case, thanks!

regards,
Karoline & Malin from Sweden
(and yes, we´re over 21)

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 06:52 AM
Merilee

Karoline, Banana Bungalows is now housed in the Gershwin West Hotel, which is on Hollywood Blvd. Supposedly they're going to renovate, but I haven't heard anything good about the place. Some of the complaints I've heard are that the staff is not helpful, there's not much hot water, and some people have claimed they've had money and other items stolen. Hollywood Bungalows is now at the original Banana Bungalows location in the Hollywood Hills off the 101 (freeway). I think it's much nicer. They've tried to get a tropical jungle theme going. It's clean and in a decent location. They also have a pool and a theater room. It's about 1 mile to downtown Hollywood and about 7 miles to Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills. Alot of the vintage clothing shops are very expensive, but you'll find some along Melrose Avenue, which has many nice shops and restaurants. There's also a chain of thrift shops named Out of the Closet throughout LA. Salvation Army and Goodwill Thrift Shops are also relatively inexpensive. One of my favorite thrift shops is off Sunset on Highland. It's about 2 blocks down on the right, and I can't believe I can't think of the name of it! Most of the popular clubs can be difficult to get into unless your name is on a list or you have the right look, but I'm sure other posters can give you tips on this. I think you would enjoy Venice Beach and the Santa Monica Pier.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 07:14 AM
Andrew

Spend a day at the Getty Center. You need a parking reservation (if you have a car) parking is $5, and the museum is free. It is breathtaking.
Santa Monica & 3rd street Promenade are great. Have a wonderful time!

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 02:18 PM
cali

Try the rates at the Hollywood Roosevelt. Its a great very Hollywood hotel. It's right on the Blvd. across from Hollywood and Highland. I've stayed there for$115 a night but I've seen rates on the net for $89. Also I've stayed at the Grafton on Sunset for around the same rate. It's next door to Sky Bar, House of Blues,Comedy Store....pretty much everything on the strip.One of my favorite spots is the Bar Marmont at the Chateu (sp?) Marmont. Very Hollywood. There always seems to be a lot of Europeans staying at the Roosevelt if that matters.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 02:48 PM
tom o

you have to do something at the beach. there are a number of options--malibu is interesting and beautiful adn a bit of a drive-don't do it in rush hour on pch! Venice boardwalk is a classic melting pot of LA adn tourists--santa monica pier a little more tame--or you coud rent some bikes and ride up the bike path--LA has some interesting cemeteries--including one in downtown westwood where marilyn resides

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 02:52 PM
RickRockwell

I'm in LA and I'm pretty fun. How about stopping over at my beachfront pad in Hermosa for some champagne and strawberries in bed? I promise I won't bite. Grrrr!

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 02:59 PM
xxx

Go to the Dresden and hear Marty and Elaine. Maybe you'll run into Vince Vaughn like I did.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 09:29 PM
Bonnie

I have stayed in various places in L.A. but the last time I was with 2 twenty year-olds and they wanted to stay near the Clubs in Hollywood. We stayed at a wonderful hotel called Le Montrose Suites. There were some music industry people also staying there. We loved it. Where else do you get a rooftop pool complete with rubber duckies? Wasn't too far from Melrose Ave. or Beverly Hills.

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 09:04 AM
Deborah

The Magic Hotel in Hollywood is a great place to stay. They have little kitchens and a nice pool. Convenient for walking down to Hollywood Blvd. and to the new shopping complex Hollywood & Highland where there are restaurants and a nightclub. Easy access to all the clubs on or around Hollywood & Sunset Boulevards.

I agree that Melrose is the place for vintage clothes. there are more in Burbank on Magnolia, including "It's a Wrap" which sells clothes from movies & tv shows.

As far as food goes, most Thai restaurants are cheap in LA. There's a great Argentine restaurant on Melrose called LaLa's that you can get a double chicken breast dinner for about $10.95!! Many more restaurants on Melrose too.