Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What's an interesting place to spend the night between New Orleans and Tulsa?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2005, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like we'll be spending a few nights at the Oak Alley Plantation on River Road in March, to tour the plantations and see Cajun country. The cottage we want is not available the last night, so I was thinking we could start our drive back to Tulsa a day early and stop somewhere else along the way. Upstate LA? Arkansas? I don't mind going a little out of the way, but we'll have a 3 and a 5 year old with us.
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 12:13 PM

If you have never driven the wonderfual Talimena Hwy, I would recommend the Queen Wihelmina State Park Lodge in Mena, AR.
M
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 12:42 PM

Quite honestly, I'd fly between the two cities. Southwest Airlines will have cheap fares, and that will save you the long drive.
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Hi Christie,

That's assuming NO airport is running at full speed by then...plus, any savings on getting there would be offset by the car rental. It's only 650 miles. We've driven to San Antonio and Denver recently without incident (talk about a boring drive, too, Tulsa to Denver? Woooo!). I've never seen that part of the country, so I'm actually looking forward to the drive.

THanks for the suggestion, Mikemo. I checked their website, and the lodge looks nice, although it may not be that interesting for the kids. I've got it bookmarked just in case.
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 12:57 PM

Going up US59 to Mena and then Talimena will be pretty, but quite slow. Getting on I-20 and then US82/271 will be faster.
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 01:12 PM

rkkwan,
The/we BMW folks have driven that at triple digit US speeds,lol.
M
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 01:50 PM

mikemo - In my previous life - er, I mean career - I was a truck driver for a Van Buren, AR company. After crossing the Ouachita and Ozarks a few times in a 18-wheeler, I'd rather go around them in OK and TX!

But of course, in my current life, I'd seek out mountains and canyons to drive in. Hahaha... [And the Idaho state police didn't seem to appreciate my recent visit to their state, but that's another story for another thread. ]
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 02:10 PM

rkkwan,
Previous lives: BMW Euro spec and enduro racers - older son had a full season in F-Renault in Euro and was a Bondurant and Barber racing instructor: he is famous here in MX for having "trained" many of the now senior Federales in high performance driving skills.
He still rides his two Aprillias in DFW - my BMW Motorrad days are long gone.
Hasta luego.
M
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 04:18 PM

Jocelyn, I bet it is safe to say that the airport in NOLA will be up and running well by March, considering that is six months away from now. I do wonder if the south LA plantations and cajun country you're planning to visit will have cleaned up all of the storm debris by then, though. My husband is currently down in NOLA with his job, and he said many of the trees between NO and Baton Rouge were damaged.
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

According to the Oak Alley Plantation website and a local newspaper article (cited on the thread floating around here about Oak Valley), their famous trees are fine. We'll see what we can see, and worse things could happen if we had to just hang out on the grounds there for a few days. I'm anxious to give LA some tourist dollars.
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 06:56 PM

You might want to try Hot Springs, in central Arkansas. It may be a little out of your way, but worth stopping over. Spring will be underway, depending on the weather, giving the National Park mountains and lake here lots of beautiful views.
It's hard to imagine right now the total impact of Katrina. Hot Springs, and many many smaller towns, as well a the large ones, are playing host to people who have lost everything. I hope by March that things are on their way to full recovery but coming back from total devastation may take a little longer than many believe. And lots of money. I've listened to some of the stories that are being told here locally by people who lived through it--about those who didn't. I think we haven't begun to realize what has happened. More power to those to go back.
Have fun on your trip!
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 06:05 AM

I would drive 5 hrs from Tulsa to Crater of Diamonds State Park in Murfreesboro, AR, where the kids can dig for real diamonds. Camp there or drive into Hot Springs for the night.
Old Sep 10th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

wsox, oooo, the diamond thing sounds great. I found a good website and have it bookmarked. Thanks all for the suggestions.

I appreciate everyone's concern, but I am under no delusions that LA or surrounding states will be back to the way they were by March. My desire to visit this area is driven primarily by the fact that I want my tourist dollars to be spent in a place that will no doubt need them. If we come across a few inconveniences on our vacation, so be it (hey, we're flexible), and we may even find some teachable moments for our kids.
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 10:35 AM

Jocelyn, I think your kids will have a blast. They will get filthy and remember it for a very long time.

PS - you might want to bring a pail, stool, etc to sit on while you dig