Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   what place in Oklahoma is the most beautiful (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/what-place-in-oklahoma-is-the-most-beautiful-593556/)

mireaux7 Feb 22nd, 2006 08:58 PM

what place in Oklahoma is the most beautiful

what do you consider to be the most beautiful place in Oklahoma? For me, would have to be the Kiamichi Mountains.

starrsville Feb 23rd, 2006 04:15 AM

The "Welcome to Texas" sign.

MzPossum Feb 23rd, 2006 05:01 AM

technically, however, the sign would be in Texas.

starrsville Feb 23rd, 2006 05:27 AM

Even better.

Okay, the first view of the Welcome to Texas sign, before you leave Oklahoma.

MzPossum Feb 23rd, 2006 05:39 AM

Still in Texas, but I like your logic! I'm an Okie native and admit I always loved going to Texas (lived there for almost 6 years and went to Baylor for 2)

MzPossum Feb 23rd, 2006 05:42 AM

oops, Starrsville, I'm thinking of the sign on I-35 across the Red River--that's the one I'm most used to seeing and you can't see it until you're actually in Texas, but you're right about the others.
Our newpaper in Oklahoma City runs a poll every year for favorite things in and around the OKC area and one category is "favorite place for a long weekend". Dallas is often the answer.
Don't want to sound like I'm slamming my home state because I love it, but I think Texas is great, too, and like to consider myself a Texan by proxy!

Keith Feb 23rd, 2006 05:59 AM

The Gypsum Hills up near Kansas, though they are more beautiful on the Kansas side.

Keith

RedRock Feb 23rd, 2006 06:08 AM

The Wichita Mtn NWR is a nice place to visit as is the "Big Foot" area of the Ouachita NF in southeast OK. Another place most don't know about is the Seminole Indian Nation Museum in Wewoka. You can pick us an authentic Oklahoma "Dirt Shirt" in the gift shop.

rabwinter Feb 23rd, 2006 06:44 AM

Definately southeast!

mireaux7 Feb 23rd, 2006 08:20 AM

well, if youre referring to the "welcome to texas sign" that greets southbound I-35 visitors,.theres something also in Texas that's one of the very first things you see right after you cross over the Red River,.a certain business I might add..I need not say more.

Keith Feb 23rd, 2006 09:14 AM

Tell us more, mireaux7?

Keith

Intrepid1 Feb 23rd, 2006 09:18 AM

Oh, please, let's not be coy at THIS juncture....we want to know every little thing there is to know about this center of the Universe as one escapes from oklahoma!

Curt Feb 23rd, 2006 10:00 AM

To go along with Keith I agree the Gyp Hills as we always called them when I was growing up are interesting. Drive on a bit further to the northwest into the Flint Hills of Kansas and experience another really pretty place. The Flint Hills offer one of the last remaining native tall grass prairies in the USA and this part of the Flint Hills is now a federal protected area.

Curt Feb 23rd, 2006 10:03 AM

UH OH BIG BOOBOO ALERT!!!!!

You must drive NORTHEAST from Gyp Hills to get to the Flint Hills. I am afraid if you drive northwest you will end up in the stereotypical Kansas of miles and miles of flat lands and giant wheat fields (and very few people). That part ain't too pretty.

Keith Feb 23rd, 2006 10:42 AM

"stereotypical Kansas of miles and miles of flat lands and giant wheat fields (and very few people). That part ain't too pretty."

Although I agree about the miles and miles and lack of people, there are a lot of interesting and beautiful places scattered in the part of Kansas that at first looks boring.

For example, http://www.kansastravel.org/05castlerock04.JPG
http://www.kansastravel.org/05cedarbluffs2.JPG
http://www.kansastravel.org/05monument06.JPG

And almost every little town has something of interest, if only the 19th century stone buildings and churches.

Keith

designmr Mar 9th, 2006 10:19 PM

I'd have to second the Kiamichis, especially the through the Talimena Scenic Byway.

Here are my Honorable Mentions (from what I've seen):

The University of Oklahoma ovals on a nice spring day

Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge - truly native america!

Philbrook Museum's gardens

The magnificent Dale Chihuly collection at the Oklahoma City Museum of Art

okieinkauai Mar 10th, 2006 05:18 AM

Being a native Oklahoman (as my screen name might indicate)and having lived here my entire life...I feel the need to jump into this discussion. I think all parts of the world possess their own beauty, sometimes you just have to look a little deeper. I think the NE part of Oklahoma is just beautiful. Spring there is just lovely (rain would be nice this year!) Outside of Bartlesville there is a tall grass prairie dotted with wild horses. Makes me think of how things must have been at creation. In Spring, Red Bud trees turn the horizon pink with blooms and vibrant green wheat fields are everywhere. Having said all that, I recently moved from NE Oklahoma to the Panhandle and I am greiving for trees. The terrian is void of most things I love, but the sunsets are amazing...so like I said..each place hold it's own beauty. Okie

TxTravelPro Mar 10th, 2006 05:51 AM

I love so many things about Oklahoma. The whole area between Broken Bow Lake and Tenkiller Lake is really beautiful.
As a military wife, I visit Ft Sill often to shop. It is also a great spot for history and Mt Scott is fun. We enjoy climbing the rock falls that tumble down one side of the mountain. The boulders are the size of a VW and pour out of the mountain in such a bizarre way... it makes you wonder how this happened. The area around Davis is interesting too. There is a cool state park with natural sulphur springs and Turner Falls.
If you are ever headed to the Tx/Ok border on 44, stop and check out the Prairie Dogs along the road. You can see them behind the Visitor Center on the OK side.

Curt Mar 10th, 2006 05:51 AM

Keith I was not intending to bad-mouth Kansas. I am Kansas born and bred and still live in Eastern Kansas. I love it (well I do not love the odd politics so much ...) and you are correct all parts of the state have their own beauty. Sadly, most people think all of Kansas is like western Kansas, flat, windy and few trees.

Curt Mar 10th, 2006 05:53 AM

Keith - forget to mention, when I was a kid we spent many a fun weekend or longer camping at Cedar Bluff lake. My Dad was an avid camper and fisherman and that was on of his favorite places.