Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   What place have you been to that you were most "in awe" of the beauty? Looking for a place for me and my husband in October. (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/what-place-have-you-been-to-that-you-were-most-in-awe-of-the-beauty-looking-for-a-place-for-me-and-my-husband-in-october-251935/)

Suzie Aug 22nd, 2002 03:08 AM

What place have you been to that you were most "in awe" of the beauty? Looking for a place for me and my husband in October.

My husband and I are planning a trip in either early or late October.<BR><BR>Looking for a place that has beauty! Open to all suggestions.<BR><BR>We live in Michigan, so definitely want to pick up and go somewhere (not too close to home).<BR><BR>Our budget is not more than $3,000 for the whole week including airfare.<BR><BR>Thank you!

Paul Rabe Aug 22nd, 2002 03:52 AM

As I first approached the rim of the Grand Canyon forty years ago (at age eight), I was psyched up to see great beauty. Even now I remember being blown away by its overwhelming awesomeness. I have felt exactly the same way on all six of my return trips. October is also a good time to visit, as the crowds will be at a minimum.<BR><BR>Two days at the Canyon will be ideal for a first visit. Spend the rest of your time at Sedona, or other sites in northern Arizona.

Judy Aug 22nd, 2002 04:01 AM

Sedona. Arguably more beautiful than the GC.

cd Aug 22nd, 2002 04:23 AM

We were in awe of the beauty of Alaska.

J T Kirk Aug 22nd, 2002 04:27 AM

<BR><BR>Two thoughts, both similar:<BR>1) fly into Vegas (yechh, but there's cheap airfares to Vegas usually). Drive to Zion and Bryce and maybe head down to the GC. Great, unforgettable, completely unlike Michigan, scenery.<BR>2) fly into Salt Lake. (That lake is something.) Drive down to Moab and check out Arches, then go to Canyonlands and down to Monument Valley. This is simply awe-inspiring land.<BR><BR>Alternates:<BR> Santa Fe ia a great town with umpteen things to do and see, but pricey.<BR><BR>My personal favorite destination is Jackson, Wyoming. The Tetons are a sight to see. <BR><BR>But I think the desert southwest would be a great change from you.

Clousie Aug 22nd, 2002 04:40 AM

Have to agree with JT about the beauty of sw Utah. In early October the golden aspen against the deep blue sky and rich red rocks was just too incredible.

xxx Aug 22nd, 2002 05:36 AM

The New York City skyline at night.

The grass Aug 22nd, 2002 05:45 AM

This is really funny. Where in Michigan do you live? We have traveled to Hawaii 3 times, Mexico 3 times, Bermuda, The Bahama's, all over the U.S., England 3 times, Wales, Greece, Germany, Norway, and Holland. My favorite place of all is still...Northern Michigan. That's where we are going this fall.<BR><BR>But, back to your question. I guess my second favorite place would be the coast of Maine. Take a drive and stop at all the small towns along the coast. The views are breathtaking. Stroll through the towns, do some shopping, find interesting places for dinner and enjoy the feel and color of the season.

Joe Aug 22nd, 2002 05:46 AM

Big Sur sunsets in the fall when there are typically no clouds.

x Aug 22nd, 2002 05:52 AM

Banff/Lake Louise in Canada. Jaw dropping scenery and with the US dollar being strong you should get a good deal in October.

mrs j Aug 22nd, 2002 06:31 AM

Hawaii is without a doubt the most beautiful place I have ever been. We went there in January, for our honeymoon and I cannot wait to go back. If you have the flexibility, there are almost always last minute deals on airfare and hotels. Also, there are cabins available in state parks on some islands, and you can find a cheap hotel off the beach that is still a quality hotel.

GP Aug 22nd, 2002 06:36 AM

Hi Suzie<BR><BR>Here is another vote for the Grand Canyon & Southern Utah National Parks. My wife and I did that this Spring for 8 days for about $2900. If your after natural beauty skip Sedona and go to Brice, Zion and Captiol Reef. One word<BR>WOW!<BR>Other Places<BR>Oregon or Northern California Coast<BR>Hawaii<BR>Yosmite<BR><BR>Have Fun<BR>GP

qp Aug 22nd, 2002 06:40 AM

St. Mark's Square, Venice, arguably the most romantic place in the world. Crowds should be down in October here as well and $3k could get you a nice package trip to Italy.

Sam Aug 22nd, 2002 06:40 AM

My vote goes to Lake Louise/Banff too.<BR><BR>Unrivalled beauty and a million miles from city lights. The Rockies really are amazing and well worth the trip.<BR><BR>Sam

Model Aug 22nd, 2002 06:50 AM

In the bathroom looking at my beautiful self in the mirror. Why go anywhere else?

xxxx! Aug 22nd, 2002 06:52 AM

Model-If you are trying to be funny you failed miserably. What a pathetic person you are. Get some help honey to find out why you are so psycho.

rob Aug 22nd, 2002 06:56 AM

southern utah-moab. taking the rental SUV to some isolated spot and doing some rock climbing.<BR><BR>big sur-driving from LA to san fran. up the PC Hwy.<BR><BR>

Grumpy Aug 22nd, 2002 07:35 AM

This is so dumb to ask this question. Don't you ever read, look at travel magazines or think for yourself. Why would you ask such a question. Go see what YOU WANT to see and don't depend on someone to find an awesome view for you to look at.<BR><BR>Dumbo

xxx Aug 22nd, 2002 07:38 AM

Definitely Hawaii. The Na Pali coast of Kauai is probably the most beautiful place I've ever seen.

travellyn Aug 22nd, 2002 07:39 AM

The Canadian Rockies. I'd love a week at Chateau Lake Louise.