Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   What Part of Kauai to Stay for Family with Small Kids? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/what-part-of-kauai-to-stay-for-family-with-small-kids-961324/)

RWebber8 Jan 3rd, 2013 03:36 PM

What Part of Kauai to Stay for Family with Small Kids?

Our family wants to take a trip for ten days to Hawaii during Christmas. My kids will be 7, 5, and almost 2 years when we go. We want to stay in a condo where we can walk to the beach everyday and swim. We are looking at staying in Kauai because it seems less expensive than Maui. We want to play on nice beaches with smaller crowds. What part of the island seems like it would be best for my family? I would appreciate any advice.

MichelleY Jan 3rd, 2013 04:24 PM

Poipu.

sf7307 Jan 3rd, 2013 06:29 PM

Agreed.

wekewoody Jan 3rd, 2013 07:27 PM

Poipu, specifically Kiahuna Plantation. There are some 2 bedroom units. Renting directly from one of the owners is cheaper.

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals...ai/south/poipu

Suzie Jan 3rd, 2013 09:21 PM

Also consider the Point at Poipu which is a timeshare but you can rent those via vrbo and other ways. Really great location & a nice property.

hpeabody Jan 4th, 2013 07:24 AM

Another vote for Poipu as a nice family friendly place. Look into VRBO as early as possible so you get the best pickings.

sf7307 Jan 4th, 2013 07:44 AM

I <u>LOVE</u> Kiahuna Plantation -- the units are nice, the grounds are gorgeous, and it's on a great beach. Do be aware, however, that the units do not have A/C, and the pool is across the street at the tennis club.

socaltraveler Jan 4th, 2013 07:55 AM

We took our kids to Kiahuna for a family vacation years ago, and this winter DH and I are returning for a few days. Yes, the pool is not up close, but the beach is, and the grounds are simply beautiful. Great family place.

CityGuy Jan 6th, 2013 03:36 PM

Kiahuna is wonderful! We just came back from Kauai last week and had a great time. Skipped the pool since the beach was awesome. The grounds are great and well maintained. My boys even made a few friends! Perfect for kids. The location is convenient too.

kauaistyle Jan 6th, 2013 09:42 PM

Hanalei hands down...depends on your needs. If pool is focal point, Hyatt or Sheraton in Poipu. Kiahuna is nice too. If true authentic open beaches, Hanalei, Lumahai, Anini on the north shore. All the local families and kids gather by the river at Lumahai, jump off the pier or surf together in Hanalei. Find a affordable cozy cottage, walk to the shoreline, savor the slower wider open pace...plenty to accommodate the little ones...beaches in Poipu are not as expansive,uncrowded or ease of access compared to any in the country. Condo/ hotels vs. homes too...up to what resonates with your family.

Suzie Jan 6th, 2013 10:31 PM

Lumahai beach is known to be one of the most dangerous beaches on Kauai isn't it? I guess if they stay out of the water there they will be ok.

jcb Jan 7th, 2013 07:48 AM

I LOVE north shore of Kauai, but for a December beach vacation with 3 kids, I would NOT stay up north. Definitely stay in Poipu.

wtm003 Jan 7th, 2013 07:58 AM

I'm also a fan of Kiahuna Plantation and Poipu Beach. Our kids loved snorkeling and playing in the waves. They never missed the pool. Several restaurants are across the street so if you don't feel like cooking it is a short walk. I agree about not staying up north in December.

txtree Jan 7th, 2013 02:29 PM

Don't mean to hijack, but what about a December stay with older kids (teens and pre-teens)? Is the north shore more appropriate or would we do well to stay in Poipu too?

kauaistyle Jan 9th, 2013 09:25 AM

This past December, it rained Christmas day, then was clear cloudless kona winds and gorgeous for 3 days after, then cool and overcast during new years...and the rain came up from the south side(Poipu)...so..there are no real set rules on weather although north shore is wetter and tons of waterfalls,etc compared to Poipu in general. Funky surf season as well,meaning, Lumahai was epic to swim YET none of us go if its dangerous/big waves. (Poipu has 2nd most ocean tragedies island wide, Hanakapi'ai down Na Pali is first)...the little clean river is wonderful to sit next to on a sunny day to cool...all the kids play there. Contrast to Poipu, where its easy to jump out of your condo to a little rocky shoreline with thin stretch of sand....good enough for what most seek. ALL depends on your kids...if they are content with daily pool/shallow beach reef= Poipu. Hanalei affords more country style adventures.

txtree Jan 9th, 2013 05:21 PM

Thank you - that's helpful. From what I've heard, the past few holiday seasons have had more than expected rainy/cool weather. Which concerns me a little because I'm married to a sun seeker who will get grouchy if there's too much rain (by contrast, I would be happy to hike all day in the rain). But the kids are all pretty adventurous and strong swimmers, so I'm thinking they would enjoy a more exciting ocean experience. I lived in Hawaii when I was a kid and I remember how great it was to swim/ boogie board during the winters. I also remember thinking that I might never find a place more beautiful than the north shore of Kauai. I can't wait to go back!!

wekewoody Jan 9th, 2013 07:16 PM

I don't understand what a "more exciting ocean experience" means.

txtree Jan 10th, 2013 10:26 AM

More exciting = bigger waves.

CaliNurse Jan 10th, 2013 11:16 AM

SInce your kids are young, I would look at great play areas as well as beaches. So consider the Lydgate Beach on the East Shore..Lydgate has reef protected swimming, lifeguards, local families, And the two great playgrounds, Kamalani I and II, one right on the beach, one a few blocks away. Not your ordinary playgrounds.
Two nearby hotels/condos are the Aston Aloha Beach Hotel, only a wiode grassy ara separates the hotel from the beach. It has hotel rooms as welll as two bedroom cottages.

A nearby condo , easy walk t beach and playgrounds, is Kaha Lani. Castle Resorts has rooms there, or you can go via VRBO.

The other advantage of the East Shore is if you feel like doing some island exploring one day. YOu can head north to the spectacular scenery of the north shore (but not safe swimming in December( or south to the above mentioned Poipu area. ON E Side, yo willl also be close to bigger markets (Safeway, Costco) where you can load up on food

Note alos, Poipu is more consistently sunny than either the East or North areas

Lookin_Glass Jan 10th, 2013 11:38 AM

more exciting = bigger waves = drowning victims - - - so said the victims that found Lumahai 'epic to swim' at before they took their last breathl

how are the water conditions at Lydgate these days? Have they improved?

As always, ocean safety is not a laughing matter. Just recently paddleboarders rescued three people in trouble and at very high risk of getting pulled out of the harbour into open ocean due to a riptide. This is often considered a safe harbor beach - Kalapaki.