Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   What Not to Miss in New Orleans? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/what-not-to-miss-in-new-orleans-21676/)

Melanie Feb 14th, 1998 01:09 PM

What Not to Miss in New Orleans?

Hi! I am going with my cousin to New Orleans, LA in the first week in March for 4 days. We are two outgoing women aged 29 and 32 from Los Angeles and would love to hear from you about things not to miss while we are in New Orleans. We'd love to leave there with a real feel of the culture and history in NO, any suggestions welcome!

john Feb 15th, 1998 04:39 AM

Hi,
hope you have a great time!The lst time I went we did the High end route but we said next time we would just eat in the smaller rest.Acme oyster bar was great down and dirty but alot of food for the $.There is a real local place you will have to take a bus or taxi about 10 blocks from down town great po boy sand.Mandina's.

Every nite we would end up at the french Qt its a crazy party scene we felt very safe till all hours of the morn. aqurium,boat ride up the miss.tour some old plantation houses.One day we drove to aplace where we were taken out to see alligators in the swamp about 20$(there are several)

there is the famous brenen's and emeril's$$$$ brunch at brenen's was a disapointment but worth a touristy trip 4 day is enough ...john.

Raeona Feb 15th, 1998 07:27 PM

Right -- Brennan's is a rip -- stay away! But Acme House, I'd rather call...."local color" than down and dirty! We make it a must stop every trip. The French Quarter is marvelous for walking; Bourbon Street is pretty much JUST for those who thinking getting drunk and acting stupid is a fun time. Luckily, most of that activity is confined to B. Street; the rest of the Quarter is filled with delights! Magazine Street is fun for antiquing/auctioning and different little shops. Ride the Streetcar....check out the Garden District....For evening fun: Mulate's!!!! A must! They serve dinner (casual and noisy), or arrive after dinner and watch the cajun dancing....what a delight! what a workout!!! You might, as my husband and I did, run into locals who offer to give you a fast dance lesson. There is an Espirit outlet store (if you're a bargain hunter). You'll have a great time!!!!! Oh, and the French Market, of course...and beignets!There's a small, very do-able and interesting Civil War museum. Preservation Hall should be one stop for music; there are lots of others. You're going to have a wonderful time!!!!

Raeona Feb 15th, 1998 07:35 PM

Right -- Brennan's is a rip -- stay away! But Acme House, I'd rather call...."local color" than down and dirty! We make it a must stop every trip. The French Quarter is marvelous for walking; Bourbon Street is pretty much JUST for those who think getting drunk and acting stupid is a fun time. Luckily, most of that activity is confined to B. Street; the rest of the Quarter is filled with delights! Magazine Street is fun for antiquing/auctioning and different little shops. In that area, stop at Joey K's for lunch (it's a neighborhood cafe); they serve the best onion rings ANYWHERE! Ride the Streetcar....check out the Garden District....For evening fun: Mulate's!!!! A must! They serve dinner (casual and noisy), or arrive after dinner and watch the cajun dancing....what a delight! what a workout!!! You might, as my husband and I did, run into locals who offer to give you a fast dance lesson. There is an Espirit outlet store (if you're a bargain hunter). You'll have a great time!!!!! Oh, and the French Market, of course...and beignets! Street Musicians and other delights in Jackson Square. Brunch at Commander's Palace is kind of a must-do...a little hectic (but upscale), a little $$ but good! There's a small, very do-able and interesting Civil War museum. Preservation Hall should be one stop for music; there are lots of others. Harry Connick's father plays local bars. There's a wonderful Irish pub, but I can't remember the name....It has two rooms, opposite one another on a courtyard...near Jax Brewery. (Paddy Flynn's? But a neat place with authentic music). You're going to have a wonderful time!!!!

Tom in NOLA Feb 18th, 1998 12:03 PM

For music and entertainment listings, pick up a copy of the Gambit (a weekly paper out on Mondays) or the Laignappe (an insert to the local paper on Fridays). Here's a few venues to look for: Rock-n-Bowl (aka Mid City Bowling Lanes -- hard to believe, but it is a great place to dance and listen to local artists such as the Iguanas, George Porter, Marva Wright and others), Howlin Wolf, Donnas for brass bands, Cafe Brazil, the Funky Butt, the Dragon's Den and many others. You'll have to take a cab for a few of these, but they're worth it. For good eats, try the Acme Oyster House for a dozen raw at the oyster bar, a muffelatta and Abita Amber at the Napoleon House, lunch at Galatoire's (particularly on Friday), Bayona ($$), Mona Lisa (bring you own wine to save $$ you spend at Bayona and Galatoire's) and G&E Courtyard grill for a great brunch (make reservations to sit in the courtyard). During the day, take the ferry (at the foot of Canal St.) across the river and back, wander on Royal St., grab a bear at the Crescent City Brew House and wander through Jackson Square. Have a great time.

Robin Kronick Feb 19th, 1998 07:29 PM

New Orleans is one of my favorite places. One of best & cheapest ways to get the feel of the place is too take a trolley ride (it is an old fashioned trolley) into the garden district. There are some beautiful homes there. Take the trolley to the end of the line and walk up the main street. Make sure you have at least one meal at the Camellia Grill where waiters in white coats wait on you at the grill. It's great food and cheap!

Cafe du Monde is a must at least once during your stay for chicory laced coffee (it tastes better than it sounds) and beignets.

I never had a bad meal in that town and deciding where to eat can take hours! Have fun.

J.A. Feb 21st, 1998 12:30 PM

Tipitina's on SUNDAY. For local color, you won't regret it. 501 Napolean Ave. Commander's Palace is the best. Try the Maple Leaf for a late night out. Have fun.

Kat Feb 23rd, 1998 09:51 AM

Take a cemetary tour!!

Dan Feb 24th, 1998 08:50 AM

Stop at Pat O'Briens Pub and drink a huricane.I garuntee you will have a good time there.( I think the previous writer who mentioned "Paddy Flyns?" was actualy at Pat O'Briens. the huricanes tend to cloud the memory)

Michael Shallies Feb 27th, 1998 06:31 AM

The trolley ride is a must! Lunch at Camellia Grill when you take the trolley. Ditto on the Maple Leaf, go to Rock n Bowl for great music. Bourbon Street is the most overrated ridiculous place to hang out in when you go to New Orleans. When in da Quarter spend your time around Jackson Square-Get a Bloody Mary at Tujaques, do Cafe du Monde, try Irene's Cuisine for dinner. Make a buddy with a local and they will send you to incredible places that will beat Bourbon, Pat O'Briens, and all the other tourista swill.