Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What North American city feels most like Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 07:24 AM
Lynne

We loved our week and Paris and would like to find a US or Canadian city that has a similar ambiance - great sights/museums if you want them, good food, views and just a nice place to walk around and hang out and relax. Any ideas? We travel with our kids ages 11 and 13.

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 07:33 AM
nancy

There is no city like Paris on our continent. The closest would be Quebec City, Montreal, New Orleans, New York City, Boston, and San Francisco.

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 07:36 AM
xxx

Des Moines Iowa, perfect example.

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 07:42 AM
Gary

Based on the title of your post, I would think Montreal or Quebec. But based on your question, specifically "great sights/museums if you want them, good food, views and just a nice place to walk around and hang out and relax," I would think New York, Washington, Chicago, San Francisco, and Los Angeles.

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 08:00 AM
Daniel Williams

The other cities mentioned are good suggestions. I will add Philadelphia as fitting your criteria; although quiet different from Paris, does have great sights/museums, good food, views and pleasant places to walk around, hang out and relax.

I think Montreal is closest in vibe, although quite different.

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 09:18 AM
Greg

Nothing even close in North America...not even Montreal or QC, as far as ambience/character/flavor.

As for walking around to museums, etc, Chicago, New York, Philly, SF and Boston will suffice.
Whoever said LA hasn't visited LA and tried to WALK anywhere.

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 11:07 AM
XXX

Obviously New York City. Dirty, the people are rude, and hardly anyone speaks english.

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 11:52 AM
Amy

Another vote for Philadelphia--it's very walkable, there's lots of terrific food (from some of the best French restaurants in America to sidewalk cafes) and there's a Rodin Museum on the Parkway, which was designed with the Champs Elysees in mind.
No, it's not Paree, but then, nothing else is.

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 11:58 AM
Bob Brown

Let's put it this way. American cities make me want to go to Paris!!

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 01:27 PM
Gary

Well, Greg, as I live in L.A. I haven't visited in quite a while, but last Sunday I walked through a stretch of Griffith Park and found it rather relaxing. Yesterday, I walked from Union Station to Dodger Stadium and back. And there's that long shoreline along the Pacific Ocean to walk along. Then there's Sunset Blvd, Melrose Blvd, Beverly Hills, Figueroa Blvd., Exposition Park, Huntington Gardens, Larchmont Village, Highland Avenue, Lake Hollywood.

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 02:00 PM
Daniel Williams

Certainly nothing in North America has the millennia of continuously inhabited history attached with Paris. (i.e., eras of architecture that were pre-North American settlement)

I do find that some aspects of Paris can be found in North America. City ambience that is French-speaking albeit with a different accent (and vocabulary, particularly when people from both Paris and French Canada use the vernacular) can be found in Quebec City, Montreal and to a much lesser extent, Ottawa.

Quebec City has only about 600,000 people in its greater metropolitan area, and has a more of a small-city neighborliness about it, that makes it quite different from Paris. The history and compactness of the streets give Quebec City more of an Old World look than any other city in North America that I can think of, but it really reminds me more of a smaller European city than of Paris. Also, the suburbs of QC (and Montreal) feel very typical North American.

Montreal has a skyscraper-dominated skyline and a linguistic balance of 70% French-speaking to 30% English-speaking that give it a completely different vibe from Paris. However, Montreal is a compact, walkable city that has a joie de vivre, love of cafés, love of people-watching, passion, civility that reminds me of Paris. Like in Paris, in many parts of Montreal one can walk without terrific fear of safety even in the wee hours of the morning. Fashions here are influenced by what's going on in Paris more than any other city in North America I've been to. The differences in mores, etc.. between Quebecois and French are certainly there (they see each other as cousins), however there are many social commonalities I've noticed. A similar relationship with Catholicism, similar stances on social issues from smoking, death penalty, personal space, what things are important in life...etc...

Ottawa is governmental and the capital like Paris, but there really is little similarity. Ottawa has a walkable downtown core, is relatively safe at night, is about 25% French-speaking, and that's about all I can think of. Overall feel is Canada with a French Canadian/England twist.

For cities that you can whizz around on public transportation and have a lifetime of places to explore with classy ambience, good food, views and enjoyable walks (no car needed): In addition to Montreal, New York City, Philadelphia, Boston, DC and Toronto (maybe Chicago and SF, but I've never been) in my experience have this. For cafe life/ strolling/ relaxing/ people-watching, again the above 6 minus DC (maybe 8) and add Miami South Beach, Quebec City and to a lesser extent Ottawa (possibly Vancouver?). For classy high fashions heavily influenced by Europe, Montreal and New York City (period).

For cities that are as expensive as Paris, only NYC, Boston and SanFran come close.

I would rank in similarity to Paris
1. Montreal
2. New York City

THEN
3. Boston
4. Philadelphia

with the others trailing far behind.

Just my thoughts DAN

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 02:11 PM
Dave

Some parts of New Orleans remind me of European cities like Paris and Amsterdam. Others remind me of the Caribbean. It's a really nice blend!

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 02:33 PM
Anne

1. New Orleans; 2. Washington, DC; 3. San Francisco

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 04:03 PM
Al

I vote for Washington, D.C. Designed by a Frenchman, overpriced, filled with idle burocrats, overstuffed with monuments, overtaxed for what the people receive, crammed with tourists and their kids, self-absorbed, living off the sweat of tax-paying peasants who live in the hinterland.

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 10:59 PM
kalena

I think there's some truth to Al's response, but as far as a similar ambiance to Paris, c'est impossible.

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 11:15 PM
Jimmy

Quebec city would be my first choice for a city in North America most like Paris...followed by Montreal,San Fransico,Vancouver...and just for the sake of it...the Paris of the south...Savanaah GA.

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 12:10 PM
S. C. DIXON

Just an observation...a friend of mine who was born and raised in and immediatly around Paris once told me that there are only three American cities have the "feel" of Europe...not like them, perhaps, but with the feel.

They were San Francisco, Santa Fe and Savannah. I have not been to any of the three so this is basically here-say evidence.

Peresonally, Is do believe that it is sacrilege to even mention L.A. in the same breath as Paris---or London or New york for that matter. I lived in LA once, VERY briefly, and have returned when I have to. Each time it's bigger, dirtier and more dangerous than the time before. If you're not driving a car your pretty much screwed as far as getting around, and their basic idea of something historic is a drive-in burger joint from the early 50's. And you'd better look fast because they'll probably doze it next week to build another supermarket or Mexican resturaunt.

I think eventually L.A. will have to find another name or category in which to place itself other than "city".

After all, a city is generally considered a place for culture, commerce and a place where people live.

My friends in LA most seem to only be going through the motions behind security camera's, armed guards and bars they've put on their own windows in an effort to stay safe.

I certainly have never seen the counterpart to that anywhere I've been in Europe.

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 01:25 PM
Gary

Okay--for the second and last time (I promise), I was responding to the content of the original message, not the title. "... great sights/museums if you want them, good food, views and just a nice place to walk around and hang out and relax." Obviously, L.A. does not have the "feel" of Paris, whatever the hell that means. And if you lived here only very briefly, you just as obviously don't know what you're talking about. As for "dangerous," I've lived here for twenty-five years and the only time I've ever been robbed was while on a business trip to a "safe" small city in Alabama.

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 05:46 PM
Carol

Kudos to S.C. Dixon as regards your LA commentary. Gary, obviously you're beholden to LA and that's fine, as LA certainly has its good points. But c'mon, if you're going to discuss "world class cities" (think London, Paris, Rome, Venice, Vienna, Sydney, Hong Kong, Paris, Munich, Barcelona, NYC, SF, and even Chicago...all of which I've visited so I'm not just blowing smoke) LA simply does not rate even an honorable mention. It lacks character, significant history, charm, sophistication.

As for Santa Fe and Savannah being 'a little like Paris', those two are lost on me. Santa Fe's a great town, but apples and oranges different in 'flavor' in most every way. I fail to see why people love Savannah. Didn't resonate with me at all, but I'm in the minority on that one I think.

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 07:15 PM
Dan

Montreal and New Orleans because of the cultures. To me, Chicago feels alot like Paris, because you can stay a weekend and see all the sights without ever getting into an automobile. I love that about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -