Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What new restaurant to try in San Diego this weekend?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2007, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH and I are going to see the Home and Garden Show in Del Mar Fairgrounds this weekend. Want to try a new restaurant that won't break the bank but is good. We love wine, and seafood, not $$$$ but more like $$ or maybe $$ and a half...Any suggestions? Right now staying in La Jolla, but might move that up to Del Mar since that is where the show is. Thanks.
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 07:32 AM

Jake's in Del Mar. Had lunch there several times. Their Crispy Calamari with macadamia nut coated, sweet & sour glaze is great. Great location.
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 08:52 AM
TahitiTams

Hi Heavens,
I might be going to the H&G too..
Georges at the Cove has changed their name and menu and did a complete remodel on the fine dining room but the terrace is always best for me..
Brigantine in Del Mar has the best seafood happy hour..
Jake's is always good and you can't beat the view..
Pacifica Del Mar is always good and they have a great happy hour nightly..
I suggest alot of the happy hours since I like to drink and eat but do it cheaply..
Best to you!

pacificadelmar.com
brigantine.com
georgesatthecove.com
jakesdelmar.com

Old Feb 27th, 2007, 03:26 PM

TT,
Gosh, we lived there in the mid/late '70's and returned for a month from the very hot Dallas summers through the '80's and mid '90's.
Still thought George's the very best.
What's it's rep now?
M (SMdA, Gto.)
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

Wow, I haven't been to a Happy Hour in a long time.

Tahiti, what do you order at Brigantines. Never been to one...good fish? Might be a good try.

Has anyone tried the restaurant in the Marriott in Del Mar? I forgot the name of it. Supposed to be very good, I think. It's Arterra. Anyone try that?

We aren't opposed to casual. Just want some good food without paying big prices. That shouldn't be too hard in SD, right?
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 08:40 PM
TahitiTams

Heavens..its not like the 70's happy hour..
It is basically bar dining but at a way reduced price..
Brigantine we ALWAYS get the fish tacos $2.50, chowder $4 and cheesy garlic bread $3 with sometimes shrimp cocktails $6 or steamed clams $6..
Margs $5 or Brig Brew $5..a real local hangout!
Pacifica Del Mar is really good too!
Roberto's Taco Shop is to die for in Del Mar/Solana Beach.
Love the food at the Oyster Bar at the Fish Market Del Mar has the best steamed mussels/chowder and other great seafood items..don't like sitting in the dining room..
I think good deals are harder to come by anymore, so when I am getting way above average for a food/drink item for cheap with a killer ocean view location, you can count me in!

Old Feb 28th, 2007, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Tahiti, have you tried the new Posiedan since they renovated? Isn't that a seafood restaurant next to Jake's? I have never eaten there.

Thanks for all of the good ideas.
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 07:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been to the Poseidon since the renovation, but just for lunch. we sat outside annd it was OK. One time, our service was really bad, but it's a fun place for lunch. If the tide is VERY high, you can get wet. I'd rather go to Jake's for dinner. They both have valet parking.
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 09:45 AM
TahitiTams

Heavens..
Have not been to Poseidon since the renovation and have to agree with Barbara on that it is ok food and service and would go to Jake's anytime over the other..

Old Feb 28th, 2007, 09:54 AM

The new name for George's at the Cove is George's California Modern, it looks very contemporary now from the website. We dined there the first week of December right before the remodel and it was outstanding. Looking forward to reports on the changed place! ***kim***
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

Well, I heard they changed the menu at George's, so, wasn't ready to risk it. When we are in La Jolla I'll walk by and check the menu outside. I am sure it is more expensive than it was before bc that is what happens, imo, when a restaurant or a hotel remodels...
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

We changed our reservation to Del Mar from La Jolla (thank you Priceline) and decided to go to Brigantine for a drink and then Jake's for dinner. I LOVE Jake's.

Any recs for breakfast on Saturday? There is a place in Solana Beach that I love, just across from the design center. Might eat there, but happy to have any suggestions. Thanks again...
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 08:00 PM
TahitiTams

Beach Grass Cafe is fab in Solana Beach for breakfast..
beachgrasscafe.com

Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Tahiti, that place looks good and right up my husband's alley. Me, I like oatmeal or plain english muffin. No spice or weird flavors.

Do they serve food at the home show? Anything interesting or your basic "show" food, hot dogs, nacho stuff. Seems to me they should have some herbal stuff to be appropriate.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 09:36 AM
TahitiTams

Hey heavens..
Here is the link to the H & G Show..
I would eat before you go in..
Have fun and look forward to your TR!

www.springhomegardenshow.com