Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

what month for camping trip to central Colorado?

Old Nov 18th, 2001, 04:32 AM
Linda

Need to get on the calendar at work soon for next summer's vacation - planning on camping trip to (maybe) Gunnison and points north. Planning CHEAP vacation, camping out of back of mini-van, hence no AC or heat for sleeping. (1) what month for best chance of not freezing at higher elevations, having heat stroke at lower? (July, Aug. or Sept.); (2) want relaxation, georgous mountain (and other interesting) scenery in area, and we like lake- and riverside areas - do you suggest Gunnison (Crested Butte?) area or have a better suggestion? and (3) must be within 2-day drive of home (we are 10 hrs. east of Denver on I-70). Thanks so much for any help.....

Old Nov 18th, 2001, 07:43 AM
gb

Although you can get a snow squall and low temperatures during any month of the year, the majority of campers enjoy comfortable weather from mid-June to mid September. I find that late June seems the hottest in Denver. But, in mountain areas, you are comfortable in any of the summer months.
Well,as to preference of areas, I think it depends on what activities you want to do and how long you want to stay. There are certainly great scenery around Gunnison/Crested Butte. Curecanti is a huge reservoir, great for fishing and interesting scenery can be seen. But, it's more high desert like for camping, and you would probably prefer something more mountainous and treed. Black Canyon can be visited.Hikes are rather steep, but scenic. There's is a boat trip in one of the canyons that is fun. In the Gunnison area, there are quite a few activities to select from. There's hiking in the West Elks. This hikes tend to be longer rather than shorter. Crested Butte has some great scenery, nice hikes to the north, west, and east. I can't really think of a lakeside or riverside camp site. In both areas, there are business who offer horseback trail rides to scenic locations. You can also canoe and raft along the Gunnison, and Taylor River. There are a couple of books on the area. Search under Gunnison River Basin.
As for entertainment type opportunities, there really aren't that many around there-mostly great outdoor pursuits. (By the way, if you go there, you can swim at the public pool west of town, and at the indoor pool at the college, giving you the opportunity to get a shower)
Another area to consider is Steamboat Springs.There's nice camping around Steamboat Lake. It's is a bit of drive to the city of Steamboat. There are hot springs there. Tubing and canoe trips can be done on the Yampa. Although the hiking is great, the area doesn't have the dramatic scenery of the central part of Colorado. Another location to consider that is a bit further is around Valecito Reservoir, east of Durango. Great mountain scenery, good hiking and fishing, rafting out of Durango, and horseback trail rides. Pagosa Springs has a nice hot springs. And there are usually some entertainment type activities in Durango. Mesa Verde is a half west of Durango and is great.

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 01:56 AM
Linda

Thank you gb. Was considering Durango area (Ouray, Telluride) but wondering if it was too far. How many hrs is the drive from, say, CO Springs? I see on this board that there are some lovely campgrounds in this area (you're right, high desert isn't quite what I'm visualizing). Thinking of a 10-day trip or so - we'll lose four days traveling round-trip. Hiking as such not that important - just pretty areas for a walk; might like a horseback ride or a river-raft, -canoe, or -tube excursion. Really planning on just relaxing w/nature and driving around for georgous scenery.....

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 06:40 AM
mama

Any summer month is busy in the mountains, so make reservations at camp grounds early. I live in Denver and my tourist loop when family comes to town is as follows:
Highway 36 to Estes Park.
Travel over Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park (entrance fee $15, but good for one week stay) to Grand Lake. Grand lake, Shadow Mountain Lake, and Lake Granby follow the highway. A lot of public campgrounds along lake Granby.
From Granby, you can take Highway 40 over Berthoud pass (nice scenery, high mountain camping, but slow drive) or
take highway 9 and drive by Green Mountain reservoir and camp by the Blue River. End up in Dillon. Large Reservoir, but very scenic. Nice campgrounds (showers and flush toilets).
I-70 to highway 91. 91 to Leadville. Highest incorporated city in US. Camp along Twin Lakes. Cool even in very hot summer. We enjoy having a campfire even in the summer. Highway 24 to Buena Vista. Head east to Colorado Springs. Visit Garden of the Gods for Red Rock formations (city park, no fee). Enjoy Pikes peak and head back to Denver.

A side note, Durango, Mesa Verde, Ouray, Telleride are much more spectacular than Gunnison if you have time. My route reflects time constrictions along the front range. Enjoy your trip!

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 10:46 AM
travellyn

Durango is 5-6 hours from Colorado Springs. Pagosa Springs is a little more than an hour east of Durango, closer to Colorado Springs. Ouray is probably about 4 hours from CS (this is a guess based on being "close" to the Interstate.)

July would be nice for hiking in the high country because the snow will have mostly melted, but remember that thunderstorms will peak in July and August.

Vallecito is a great area for relaxation. You might also consider the (gorgeous) Mineral Creek area near Silverton. I wouldn't consider Durango quite high desert. It's a little lusher because of the nearby mountains. Most national forest campgrounds are getting a little into the mountains.

If I were driving from that far away, I might consider the area near Creede, the Sangre de Cristos, or the Indian Peaks. These are all closer to I25 than the Durango area is, and are spectacular.

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 01:33 AM
Linda

Thank you all. Travellyn: got my map in front of me and can't find Creede (and of course mountain ranges aren't named on it). Where should I be looking? Yes, want spectacular scenery as close to either I-70 or I-25 as possible, because of driving time. Have done RMNP twice (hated Estes Park - too crowded - but just LOVE Grand Lake and the Park - and oh! that drive over Berthoud Pass.....) but wanting to see a different part of the state this time.

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 09:59 AM
travellyn

Creede is a small town close to the continental divide. If you take 160 from I25, you would turn north onto 149 at South Fork. Alternatively, you could try coming down from the north, but I think it might take longer.

Lake City is north of Creede and is another beautiful place. They are both very near the Colorado Trail. They have gorgeous scenery, great hiking, mountain biking, horseback riding, 4 wheeling, etc. Lake City is by Lake San Cristobal. The Creede Repertory Theater has plays each summer.

The Sangre de Cristos are the range that the Great Sand Dunes back up to. The website for camping and hiking the Great Sand Dunes National Park (monument?) is <http://www.nps.gov/grsa/backcountry%20camping.htm>.

The Spanish Peaks are near Walsenberg just west of I25.