Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   What location is best to stay at for first timer-help! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/what-location-is-best-to-stay-at-for-first-timer-help-480581/)

Momof5 Oct 15th, 2004 02:02 PM

What location is best to stay at for first timer-help!

Hi
My hubby and I are going to NYC in December. We are very flexible with the dates. We are coming with friends they said we watn to stay over by area by Macy's, where the shopping is. They said the area is nicer then where we chose (in Times Square the Westin). What do you think? I heard the location where the St. Regis is perfect-true? We intend on walking and sightseeing a lot. Please help, I appreciate all ofyour feedback.

By the way are all teh Christmas decorations etc out by thanksgiving weekend?
Thank you

mclaurie Oct 15th, 2004 02:34 PM

I find the area around Macy's dreadful, visually and it's short on decent eating. The Westin is a good hotel but also not a beautiful location. If you want to stay in the Times Square area, there are a few hotels that are in less hectic, unattractive areas. The Michelangelo, the Casablanca, the Sofite and the Algonquin are all smaller.

The St. Regis is in a nice location. For a lot less $$$, the Blakely and the Warwick are also in what I think is a good location. Le Parker Meridien too.

Most if not all decorations are up by that weekend. If that's when you're planning on coming, good luck with reservations. The city is getting overbooked and very pricey. :)

wantsomesun Oct 15th, 2004 02:40 PM

I would try www.hotels.com for info on what hotels are available and the rates, that way you can compare very easily.

The area around Macy's is really just shopping and not much else. The Times Square area is alot more fun, but noisy and alot of activity. Lots of good restaurants in that area as well.

If you want to stay closer to the 34th St area, I would suggest the Roger Williams or the Grand Union Hotel both on or just off Madison Ave, and just a couple of blocks from the Herald Square (Macy's) area.

Yes the city will be in FULL Christmas atire by Thanksgiving, and the end of the Parade with Santa marks the official opening of the Christmas Season.

Lots of music going on that weekend at Carnegie Hall and Lincoln Center and there will be some caroling at Manhattan Mall too (I'll be there with my chorus over the holiday season).

So have a GREAT time while you are here.

nytraveler Oct 15th, 2004 03:05 PM

Perhaps the confusion is that most of the shopping is not by Macy's. Macy's is the biggest department store - but is sort of by itself - from 34/35 ad B'way to 7th. The other major department stores range up Fifth Avenue from 38th St up to 57th and across to Lex (bloomies). If someone said to stay near shopping as a nicer area I believe they meant that area vs Macy's.

Also, the designer boutigue shopping is mostly up Madison from 57th. And the trendy and discount shopping is scattered throughout downtown.

Given the choice I would stay between Rock Center and Central Park (not right near Times Square - too loud and tacky) but it depends on your budget/needs.

If you provide a budget and needs (modern vs ttraditional etc) people can make recos.

GoTravel Oct 15th, 2004 05:01 PM

There is no contest here.

Stay at the St. Regis. It is very near the Fifth Avenue, Madison Avenue, and 57th Street shopping (Saks, Bloomingdales, Bergdorf Goodman, Bendels, Chanel, Tiffany & Co, Prada, Cartier, etc, I could list another 150 stores that are flagships), St. Patricks Cathedral, Central Park, Rockefeller Center (TREE), and a plethora of other things.

Macy's is near Madison Square Garden, Penn Station, Port Authority (sketchy), Empire State Building, Baby Gap, Gap, Home Gap, Gap, Starbucks, and Duane Reade.

I'm guessing your friend hasn't spent too much time in Manhattan. Herald Square is nice but I would not want to stay there.

jewelhawg Oct 15th, 2004 05:03 PM

When we were in NY last fall, we stayed at the Westin Times Square. I thought it was perfect! :[ (~~) :[

clarkgriswold Oct 15th, 2004 09:41 PM

If your dates are flexible, Dec 7-11th seems to have a bit more availability than the week right after Thanksgiving.

suzanne Oct 16th, 2004 04:21 AM

Don't stay by Macy's...it's an awful area. Macy's itself has gone way downhill from what it used to be. And to go into that area around Christmastime...you will be climbing over people, it will be so crowded. Take GoTravel's advice. Fifth Ave will wtill be packed with people but it will be a prettier, more pleasant Christmas-y experience.

Momof5 Oct 16th, 2004 11:54 AM

Thank you all so much for your help. I will try and stay at the St. Regis or the other hotels you all suggested. I know the regis is pricey, but I hope to find a deal somewhat and make up for that using my starwood points. May I ask any other locals that I should consider. Know my friends want to stay at the Ritz or the plaza? Is there a general area I should stick to. manhattan is so big it is hard to just go with Midtown etc.
Thanks again- you do not know how wonderful your insights are.

eiregal Oct 17th, 2004 06:09 AM

Firstly, lucky you going to NYC in December, I was there last December and had the best holiday ever. The location of our hotel made it all the more enjoyable. We stayed at the Clarion Hotel Fifth Avenue (now called Hotel 5A) and were very pleased. It is just off fifth avenue at the NYC Public Library. We were within walking distance of all the main attractions, the only time we had to take a cab was from the airport to our hotel. The hotel istself is quite small with a small restaurant but the food is great there. There's so much to see and do in the city though that we spent very little time at the hotel. It was perfect and I would have no hesitation in staying there again.

mclaurie Oct 17th, 2004 03:01 PM

I answered on your other thread about using Starwood points but if you should decide not to do that and want to stay near your friends, Le Parker Meridien is not far from the Plaza. The Blakely is not far from the St. Regis. The Wyndham is a real budget place but with an ideal location right behind the Plaza.

gc Oct 19th, 2004 11:42 AM

jewelhawg,

Can you elaborate on the Westin? Service, decor, dining, amenities, etc.?

Momof5 Oct 20th, 2004 05:34 AM

Thanks for all of your replies. We keep changing our mind on where we are staying. We have narrowed it down to Sheraton Towers, or maybe the Le Parker Meridien, or Westin Times Square. I know do not laugh we have cannot deceide. I had a friend tell me she stayed at the Sheraton and even though it was not fancy she loved the local. My friends want to stay where we do. (Talk about the guilt of not being able to afford the fancier hotels.)

I have checked trip advisor.com and they have good ratings for the Westin but the W hotels were really bad. Is the Le Parker Meridien nice? Good local? You all have been great!

Momof5 Oct 20th, 2004 05:36 AM

Forgot to tell all of you that the St. Regis is sold out so is the Westin Essex. A lot of the hotels are already full especially using reward points.

mclaurie Oct 20th, 2004 05:48 AM

I think Le Parker Meridien would be a great choice and you should book ASAP. It's right near the Plaza Hotel. It's got an indoor swimming pool (not usual in NYC), it's right off Fifth Ave in the area where the best shops like Tiffany, Bergdorf Goodman are located. It's got 2 excellent "destination" restaurants, Norma's for breakfast and the Burger Joint (self explanatory). It's modern, a sleek skyscraper. I'd suggest if your friends have a bit more $$$, have them get a suite and they'll love it. The ONLY negative I can think of is it will be a bit of a walk to/from the theater if you go, but not impossible and you could always hop on a 6th ave. bus if it's really freezing.

nytraveler Oct 20th, 2004 07:12 AM

Please, please do yourself a favor and reerve something today - or you may end up sleeping in a tent in Central Park.

Maggi Oct 20th, 2004 12:26 PM

Nytraveler's advice is sound. You can reserve now at any of the hotels you are considering and cancel later if you change your mind. At least you will be assured of decent accomodations.

Momof5 Oct 20th, 2004 05:33 PM

Hi

Nytraveler rest assured I did reserve a room last week at the SHeraton Hotel and Towers for the just in case scenerio. After finding out that the Le Parker is sold out.....boy those rooms go fast we have chosen the Westin Times Square. I do not know if we made the right choice but we got the club level and my friends did get a suite. Does it matter how far you have to walk? I mean is it that far to Rock center or Park avenue?

Again I could not have chosen without your help-Thanks!!!!

GoTravel Oct 21st, 2004 07:22 AM

Times Square is a short walk to Rockefeller Center and you can always take the subway shuttle or bus cross town to Park Avenue. Out of curiosity, what are you looking for on Park?

massagediva Oct 21st, 2004 07:54 AM

In my opinion,it's not that important where I stay,as long as I'm in the general area I want to be and/or it's convenient to the subway.I'm hardly ever in the room,the street is the place to be! Smelling those roasted chestnuts,watching the people,walking,walking,walking until you drop! Each time I go,I pick a different ridiculously expensive hotel and have a drink in the bar.It's a great way to experience NY!