Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What kind of things should we definitely see between Salt Lake City to Nampa

Old Feb 19th, 2021, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are flying into Salt Lake City middle of May to attend a wedding in Nampa, Idaho. We have about 5-6 days to sight see- making the return trip to SLC for our flight. We love road trips so driving is not a problem We are 55 and 61 and still active. Wouldn't say we are avid hikers but we like a little activity. Our "bucket list" is to "see" all 50 states. I would love input on what are the must sees in Idaho and Utah. Thank you
Old Feb 19th, 2021, 07:09 PM
Forum Moderator

Moved to United States forum and tagged.
Old Feb 19th, 2021, 09:26 PM

Between SLC and Boise? um, seriously, there isn't much!! There is the City of Rocks which is a cool state park. It's 5 hours from SLC to Boise. Parts of the drive by Twin Falls are beautiful. You could stop at the bird refuge outside Brigham City. You could also take a bigger detour up through Craters of the Moon-that is really cool. If you do that and go through Blackfoot Idaho, then you have to stop at the Potato Museum--I am not kidding. It is totally worth it!!! You could also do a southern detour from SLC and go to Arches--only 4 hours away. Or Capitol Reef which is also 4 hours from SLC. You could continue on from Boise and go to Bend Oregon. You just don't want to go to many mountain towns--May is mud season. While the desert is lovely that time of year--though starting to get hot. (I live in SLC and go to places north and south )
Old Feb 20th, 2021, 10:30 AM

City of Rocks and Craters of the Moon are good options at that time of year. The Sawtooth mountains are gorgeous but there could still be snow on the trails. You could still detour up there for the scenery. This was Galena Summit in the middle of May a few years ago:

If you end up driving through Twin Falls, there will be a lot of water at falls at that time of year. Other than that, there isn't much to see in Twin Falls. You may be able to watch base jumpers at the Perrine Bridge.
Old Feb 20th, 2021, 10:31 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
In your quest to see and drive in all 50 states (I have), Drive from SLC to Jackson WY. May might be too early to visit Yellowstone but you can see a lot of Grand Teton NP at least from a distance. The entrances to the city park in Jackson are arches made of elk horns. From Jackson take Rt. 22 west which becomes 33 entering Idaho. Driggs is an interesting town.
You can also visit in Rigby Idaho the place where Philo T. Farnsworth "invented" television. In 1930 he got the first patent for an all electronic television. There is a small museum in Rigby Idaho.
Try to see the Craters of the Moon on the way to Nampa. Another nice place to visit in Idaho is Couer 'd Alene with a beautiful lake. In eastern Oregon, you can get a good look at the Snake River canyon.
Old Feb 21st, 2021, 04:27 AM

Received 22 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with a stop in Jackson WY and Grand Teton National Park.
I need to visit that Potato Museum! Loved the Cape Cod Potato Chip factory tour. Might as well complete the "circle of life"!
Old Feb 21st, 2021, 09:35 AM

Shoshone Falls was a nice stop on our way to Boise from SLC. Also, some great views of the Snake River Canyon.

https://www.tfid.org/309/Shoshone-Falls