Notices

What kind of souvenirs do you buy?

Old Sep 13th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What kind of souvenirs do you buy?

When I travel, I always buy a picture frame with the name of the town/place that we visit, then I have someone take a few pix of us together to put in them. I also buy a shot glass & a deck of cards. Now I have so many of them, I am running out of space to display them. I was wondering if I am the only one that likes to buy a remembrance from each of our trips. My neighbor buys a coffee mug, but they travel all over the world, so she has some really interesting ones. Just curious, what kind of souvenir/ remembrance collections do some of you other Fodorites have?
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 05:54 PM
dmlove

When I can, I buy something I like to use (not to display) so that everytime I use it I remember the place. For example, I have a red ceramic plate that I bought in Antibes that I love -- it not only reminds of the trip (we were there with our daughter, son and his girlfriend) but also that I got it the day I fell off the scooter. Similarly, I have salt & pepper shakers that I got in this great little housewares shop on Ave. Fabbri (I only remember the name because we have friends with the same name) in Venice.

Old Sep 13th, 2007, 05:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We buy a Christmas ornament from each trip. Most places have a store with ornaments no matter what time of year. It's alot of fun to decorate the tree and remember the different trips without creating clutter.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 06:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The story of how it started is long, but in short we buy a shot glass from everywhere we go. We too are having the problem of them collecting fast.

So we have rules now that we only get to buy 1 from each place (unless of course it's something like from Fenway in which case we also have one from Boston, and Cheers - it's a pretty loose rule...LOL!). It's fun to go thru the tacky tourist shops and choose "the one".

Hardest to find was a shot glass from Anne of Green Gables!

I also like to buy a piece of pottery (platter, bowl, plate) but this is more hit and miss as I have to find something I like and can use.

Enjoy-la!
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 06:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always buy a Christmas ornament also. And I will usually buy a sweatshirt or Tshirt. I've also been known to buy an interesting mug or magnet also
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 06:45 PM
dmlove

Forgot that my kids used to get a snow globe from each place. Then they moved to miniatures of famous buildings -- little Statue of Libertys, Duomos and the like.

Old Sep 13th, 2007, 07:11 PM
JRP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm often a t-shirt and sweatshirt kind of guy. I like the way they provide an opportunity to share experiences.

Today at work I struck up a conversation with a gentleman wearing an Ohio State shirt and cap. He was from Mizzou and his dad was from Canton, Ohio.

If not for the gear, we probably would never have met and chatted.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 07:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We buy little tiny things, then attach a string loop to them. So, basically christmas ornaments, but we aren't limited to actual christmas stuff.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 08:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I buy an assortment of things that go on a shelf in my living room. The one requirement is that they must not detract from my color scheme of yellow and blue. I have a little paperweight from Bermuda; a tiny handwoven straw basket from Arizona; a spun glass streetlight from New Orleans; a blue, wooden carved tulip from Holland; a Royal Copenhagen thimble from Solvang, CA, etc. They give me pleasure and help me recall good memories every time I walk through the room.

I also make a photo collage of each of our trips.

We traveled with a group once and I was intrigued with one woman's travel collecting. At the beginning of each trip, she buys a baseball-type hat with a local logo. Then everyplace she stops, she buys a pin with a logo on it indicative of where she is. These she puts on her hat.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 08:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Refrigerator magnets.

We like to find something made by a local artist, too.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 01:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually buy something edible and sometimes a cookbook i.e. ingredients and recipes to something at home. Sometimes the cookbooks provide some local history.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 02:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When we visit the USA we try to buy some nice original souvenir from the Native Americans like Kachina doll,pottery...We also bring home a Xmas ornament and music CD's from the National park stores we visit also Videos or DVD of the Parks.Paul
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 04:21 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I try to limit the things I buy ... I have a fear of my home ending up like my packrat parents' and in-laws' homes, full of awful, dusty tchotchkes made nowhere near the place they are meant to be a souvenir of.

Instead, I focus on taking photos, as well as collecting other paper stuff (tickets, brochures, menus) that eventually make it into my fiercely-edited scrapbooks.

Which is not to say I haven't collected a few pieces of art, jewelry, and pottery... And DH can't resist t-shirts and ballcaps, so my efforts to keep clutter to a minimum are not too effective...
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These have been fun, thanks for responding. Anxious to see others' thoughts, so keep them coming. After reading them, I realize that we too, have purchased some pottery bowls, handmade jewelry & things indicative to the areas, as well as more magnets than my frig can hold. I liked dmlove's idea of buying something that could be used, then remembering the trip everytime it is used. And Callaloo, I have 2 file cabinet drawers full of brochures, tickets, menus, & other informative papers to aid in my scrapbooking, which is so far behind I'll never get caught up. But, by the time I finish 1 book, I've been on 5 more trips, so will I ever get done??? One thing about it though, when I do look at my scrapbooks, I can totally relive the trip, they are so thorough with not only what we did, but history/facts about everything we see.
Anyone getting any good ideas from these responses?
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 04:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always take enough photos to have one memorable one, frame it in black and all framed travel photos are hung on one wall. My guests love to look at the photos, I get to tell stories about them and I am reminded of the lovely places I have been. Secondly, I always buy something useful...a apecial umbrella, or a bread knive, or book relating to the trip.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 04:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't buy any. I take pictures, lots of them, and wonderful memories from my trips. Just don't want to waste time shopping.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 05:11 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also have the fear of becoming a packrat so I buy carefully and thoughtfully. What I buy depends on the country I will be visiting. We will be in Germany in November so I will shop for Christmas ornaments. A favorite purchase was a very nice original water color of poppies that I found in Siena. I enjoy the museum gift shops which are good for toys for the little ones. Castle gift shops are fun as well. In Venice I buy small glass figures and all of Italy has great Pinnochio items--magnets, note paper,etc. And Florence is good for nice writing paper and leather goods--but I have never bought anything leather there. I bought a leather handbag and silk scarves in Bellagio. In the UK I shop for fine china and old china pieces such as Blue Willow and unusual jams that cannot be found at home.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 06:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Local art.

Any kind.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 06:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My family collects t shirts/water globes/shot glasses. I collect nothing...too much clutter.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 07:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mainly magnets, christmas ornaments, and post cards.

The magnets are overwhelming the refrigerator, so I was thrilled to find out that Rustoleum makes a magnetic paint. We are redoing our office, so I plan to paint panels in a nice color and move all the magnets there. I come from a traveling family, and many of them love to shop. We also came up with the magnet idea to keep from being overwhelmed by their generosity! My husband laughs because one side of the frig is the places we've been, and the other is magnets that have been given to us.

I used to make scrapbooks, but fell too far behind on them. They are also difficult to take with us during hurricane evacutions. So now I download all pictures to a disk, make multiple copies for interested parties, and one for the safe deposit box. Any prints go into a photo box. The postcards make great dividers, so I look for ones that are a little bit larger than 4x6 with the name of the place at the top.

I love the hat and pin idea. My aunt and uncle do something similar with patches and backpacks. I plan to share the hat idea with them-they're running out of room on their two backpacks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO